Marineland Perfecto Tank Problems

Would you get a Marineland Perfecto Reef Tank?

• Yes, never owned one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 300DD tanks had a lot of failures back in the day. As far as I am concerned, the beefier the better. Eurobracing top and bottom and they last a LONG time.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what I was going to ask.

One of the LFS I frequent is Country Critters and they have been running a couple 300DDs for quite a few years I believe.

Howdy neighbor,
County critter is in Patchauge , right?

I’m further west, on Valley stream, Malverne boarder.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mass produced glass tanks have a significant failure rate. So much so my insurance company would not underwrite a policy for my company to manufacture glass tanks. They did however jump at the chance to cover acrylic tanks manufactured by our company. In over 25 years of experience we only had one failure. I never turned in the incident to the insurance company but replaced the tank and items to the customers satisfaction. Now acrylic has its own problems with scratching and sometimes crazing due to customer abuse. I would love to return to manufacturing acrylic tanks but the supply is no longer available for cell cast acrylic.

I had quite a few glass tanks split, leak, and explode when I was selling All Glass and Reef Lake Systems. Not a fan of cheap, dollar a gallon loss leader tanks no matter who makes them. The domestic silicone often fails and you should test each batch before proceeding with the manufacturing process. I was offered the opportunity to purchase two glass tank manufactures back in the 1990's and 2000's and I am glad I passed after hearing the problems with batch processing.

Interesting observations. When I upgraded to my 450 last year I opted to go acrylic. First time I’ve not had a glass tank. Decided that I’d live with some scratches (though no major ones so far) for a bit more peace of mind. Figured that a 1” wide welded seam would be stronger than a 1/2” or even 3/4” silicone seam. I was discussing with custom builders at one point and would have insisted on an ’eurobraced’ bottom if a glass tank. I’m a little surprised ML hasn’t done that with their large tanks; it would add very little cost. It does seem to take the mass market tank builders many years to catch up with current best practice (exhibit A= corner flo).

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One of the LFS I frequent is Country Critters and they have been running a couple 300DDs for quite a few years I believe.
It is indeed Coutry Critters. They have a new system, an sps cube with lots of high end equipment. It is to the left of the ramp as you go to the fish room...A shame the tank is its weak link.

You are correct they had that nice 300dd for a long time, but the inconsistency of marinelands tanks lets many hobbyists down

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is indeed Coutry Critters. They have a new system, an sps cube with lots of high end equipment. It is to the left of the ramp as you go to the fish room...A shame the tank is its weak link.

You are correct they had that nice 300dd for a long time, but the inconsistency of marinelands tanks lets many hobbyists down

Haven’t been in there in years. I’m further west. Round here Advanced Marine Aquatics is hands down the best. If you’v never been there i’d recommend a visit. Not the biggest shoppe or the biggest selection but wow is it the healthiest i’v seen

Manhattan reefs website is pretty local to us too. The site itself seems to be dwindling lately, but their for sale section great

Last edited:

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am new to R2R
i should have posted here before i purchased my new tank, but i did not. I was reading online with people having issues with marineland tanks leaking. the tank that i ordered is a 150 gallon 72"lx18"wx27"h with 2 overflow boxes in the 2 corner. I was just wondering what you guys have to say about this tank or if anyone had any issues with marineland tanks before. my impression is that marineland tanks is probably the most common tank in america and they sell 1000s of tank and you will have more complaints the more tanks you sell. My tank is getting delivered tom with there stand. im a little nervous.
P.S. please also tell me if you had good experience with there tanks also.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am new to R2R
i should have posted here before i purchased my new tank, but i did not. I was reading online with people having issues with marineland tanks leaking. the tank that i ordered is a 150 gallon 72"lx18"wx27"h with 2 overflow boxes in the 2 corner. I was just wondering what you guys have to say about this tank or if anyone had any issues with marineland tanks before. my impression is that marineland tanks is probably the most common tank in america and they sell 1000s of tank and you will have more complaints the more tanks you sell. My tank is getting delivered tom with there stand. im a little nervous.
P.S. please also tell me if you had good experience with there tanks also.
Sean, most of the failures on the bottom seal have been with their larger and deep dimension tanks. I’m sure that they have thousands of tanks out in the field that have not leaked for years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MURedhawk

MURedhawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sean, most of the failures on the bottom seal have been with their larger and deep dimension tanks. I’m sure that they have thousands of tanks out in the field that have not leaked for years.

Agree - They build tons of aquariums at multiple factories.
There are bound to be defects based on the large number produced. I just happened to have a bad one. I think you will be fine.
With any tank, I would get water detectors/alarms (not necessarily wifi capable, but at least a battery operated one like you can get at HD or Lowe's to place under a sink).

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for your imput, the tank is coming today and i will inspect the tank very well before i accept it, thanks again

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A store here on Long Island set up a $20K+ system with top of the line everything, except the tank, which was a Marineland(go figure)..long story short the bottom seam leaked in less than 6 months in and almost caused a disaster in the store.

Another tank at a store of a friend of mine in Brooklyn had a 3+year tank leak at the bottom seam(coincidence??) and many corals were lost...

The silicone work on those tanks is very inconsistent and at most times the bottom glass, which gets higher pressure will eventually leak at the seams. Time bombs
I stopped by the store again last week and saw the tank which had the bottom leak and noticed the corals seemed faded a bit. I asked one of the employees and learned the bottom seam leaked again! They contacted Marineland a second time and got their tank replaced... at this point wonder why not just get something else ordered before a third time

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back