Mark’s First Reef Tank - Fluval Evo 13.5 Softie/LPS Nano Reef

MarkTrysReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
09/11/2023

Hello everyone! Today is the start of my reef adventure… sort of. This thread will be my running log as I dive into reefing.

An intro to myself. My name is Mark. I’m 26 and I live in Maine. Oh, and I’ve never had a reef tank. I have a love for the ocean and all things reef. For years I’ve quietly sat and researched reef tanks and followed numerous threads through their builds. Finally, I have the space and resources to start a tank myself. All be it a small one.

My tank is the Fluval Evo 13.5. After a lot of research this seemed like my best avenue. My goal is to support a thriving community of sofities and LPS corals with a small amount of fish and clean up inverts.

So, where am I at today? Below is a picture of my empty tank sitting upon its stand. Within is the stock Fluval Evo 13.5 light, stock return pump, a heater, and a little nano flipper glass cleaner. I have nitrifying bacteria, a test kit, and refractometer on stand by.

The plan: this coming weekend I intend to visit my LFS to grab some live sand, about 10-12lbs of dry rock, and all the water I need so that I can begin cycling by this time next week.

Please follow along with me through my first ever reefing experience. While it might not be much now, there will be much more to come! In the comments feel free to leave words of encouragement or stuff you wish you knew before you jumped in!

Happy reefing everyone!!

IMG_3673.jpeg IMG_3674.jpeg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark,
welcome to the hobby. I have been addicted for > 50 yr

Most live sand from LFS means bacteria only. While the nitrification cycle is important, for long term reliability, biodiversity is key with recycling of nutrients into diverse food webs.

I suggest you cycle your tank with diver collected live sand & live rock,

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarkTrysReefing

MarkTrysReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark,
welcome to the hobby. I have been addicted for > 50 yr

Most live sand from LFS means bacteria only. While the nitrification cycle is important, for long term reliability, biodiversity is key with recycling of nutrients into diverse food webs.

I suggest you cycle your tank with diver collected live sand & live rock,

Thank you for the comment! I'll definitely consider that as I close in on starting my first cycle!

OP
OP
MarkTrysReefing

MarkTrysReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: 09/14/2023

Due to some overlooked plans (wedding) and the incoming storm (Hurricane Lee) I am pushing cycling to next week. I want to make sure that I am around and can watch the tank in its early days. This post is to record some upgrades I plan to do in order of priority.

1. InTank filtration caddy for chamber 1. While I believe the sponge block will be fine for the early days, I do want to get the filtration caddy in there for more options down the road.

2. Hygger mini wave maker. I plan to do a lot of softies with some LPS and really want to see those babies billowing in the current. A flow upgrade will be very nice for that.

3. Fluval Marine 3.0 light. While the stock light will provide for all my initial needs I would like a nice programable light that has some ramp up and down potential and can more so automate the lighting that I offer my tank. However, as the tank starts I plan to leave the lights off for a while while bacteria settle to help prevent too much algae growth.

4. Upgrade return pump... eventually. The stock pump will do for the time being, but I would like to get the water rotating over a bit more as it matures.

These upgrades will be down very slowly over the first year or so of the tanks life. In the mean time, I am looking forward to getting cycling going as soon as possible. I'm still debating on how to begin after the cycle is complete. I've been considering adding corals first and my LFS is on board with that, but I would also like to get a goby or 1 clown fish in there to boost ammonia and kick off the "second cycle" while the tank is young.

Any thoughts on adding fish or corals first, or tips on how to reduce the "ugly stage" of the tank?

Happy Reefing!

c4haskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mark, Welcome! I recently started a Evo 13.5 as well. It isn't my first tank but it's my first nano tank. There are a few good was at reducing the ugly stage. The easiest would be to start with live rock. Your local LFS should have some. Second thing would be to see if any local reefers have any live rock or live biological media you could use to seed the tank. I opted for some live seeded biological media from a friends tank and just used dry rock for my scape. My tank has been up and running now for going on 5 months and have only dealt with a little hair algae. I also dose Microbacter 7 a few times a week and that introduces new beneficial bacteria to the tank. Here's a couple pics from my Evo.

20230826_111832.jpg
20230902_140129.jpg
20230910_115539.jpg

OP
OP
MarkTrysReefing

MarkTrysReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mark, Welcome! I recently started a Evo 13.5 as well. It isn't my first tank but it's my first nano tank. There are a few good was at reducing the ugly stage. The easiest would be to start with live rock. Your local LFS should have some. Second thing would be to see if any local reefers have any live rock or live biological media you could use to seed the tank. I opted for some live seeded biological media from a friends tank and just used dry rock for my scape. My tank has been up and running now for going on 5 months and have only dealt with a little hair algae. I also dose Microbacter 7 a few times a week and that introduces new beneficial bacteria to the tank. Here's a couple pics from my Evo.

20230826_111832.jpg
20230902_140129.jpg
20230910_115539.jpg
Thanks for the advice! Your tank looks awesome! My LFS recommended starting with dry rock and live sand. I’ll check with some of the local people though to see about getting some seeded media!

I also think have some extra beneficial bacteria on hand would be helpful!

TangoSukka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Due to some overlooked plans (wedding) and the incoming storm (Hurricane Lee) I am pushing cycling to next week. I want to make sure that I am around and can watch the tank in its early days. This post is to record some upgrades I plan to do in order of priority.

1. InTank filtration caddy for chamber 1. While I believe the sponge block will be fine for the early days, I do want to get the filtration caddy in there for more options down the road.

2. Hygger mini wave maker. I plan to do a lot of softies with some LPS and really want to see those babies billowing in the current. A flow upgrade will be very nice for that.

3. Fluval Marine 3.0 light. While the stock light will provide for all my initial needs I would like a nice programable light that has some ramp up and down potential and can more so automate the lighting that I offer my tank. However, as the tank starts I plan to leave the lights off for a while while bacteria settle to help prevent too much algae growth.

4. Upgrade return pump... eventually. The stock pump will do for the time being, but I would like to get the water rotating over a bit more as it matures.

These upgrades will be down very slowly over the first year or so of the tanks life. In the mean time, I am looking forward to getting cycling going as soon as possible. I'm still debating on how to begin after the cycle is complete. I've been considering adding corals first and my LFS is on board with that, but I would also like to get a goby or 1 clown fish in there to boost ammonia and kick off the "second cycle" while the tank is young.

Any thoughts on adding fish or corals first, or tips on how to reduce the "ugly stage" of the tank?

Happy Reefing!
i would just start cycling now. there is really nothing to watch if you dont have fish in it. just let it go throw a good clean up crew in when you notice it starting ugly. microbacter7 and microbacter clean works wonders.

OP
OP
MarkTrysReefing

MarkTrysReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would just start cycling now. there is really nothing to watch if you dont have fish in it. just let it go throw a good clean up crew in when you notice it starting ugly. microbacter7 and microbacter clean works wonders.
It’s more so the likelihood of loosing power. I don’t want the water to just sit while it’s trying to get cycled. With the storm coming this weekend I’d be surprised if we don’t end up without power.

Gretchacha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Happy Reefing!
I haven’t heard of the fluval 3.0 light upgrade. Let us know how it is. I have the same tank and added a simple light controller to it and a blue gel film over the LEDs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back