Market shifts: What controllers are poised to make the biggest gains this next year?

What controllers are poised to make the biggest gains in the market this next year?

• Apex

Votes: 132 27.2%
  • Hydros

Votes: 236 48.7%
  • GHL

Votes: 28 5.8%
  • Reef Factory

Votes: 39 8.0%
  • Reef Pi

Votes: 33 6.8%
  • Other

Votes: 17 3.5%

• Total voters

Shadowfax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Hydros and gladly moved to Apex even though I was hesitant. First reason is the Neptune Trident, was simpler and smaller that the Alkatronic mammoth, probes etc. The only move that I would make if I was Neptune is working their application user experience, they need to simplify, are it more user friendly.

CoralFan1776

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say the winner will be which ever one adds MQTT support that works first.
This would add flexibility that just isn't there with anything but maybe the Reef PI.

Sequest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purely from a market gain i expect Reef Factory to be up there. Not very big in USA since its not available (yet), but their line up of products is increasing steadily. They just released their roller mat, pumps coming soon, multi tester (think mastertronic) coming soon. It could be a big year for these guys, if they get it right.
Reef Factory are also loved in Australia due to their support, quick release date and availability. Something that none of the other manufacturers are even close to (in Australia).

Personally I dont care at all for Neptune or Hydros. Not because i think their products are bad, but because these companies seem to focus on America either exclusively, or mostly.
Neptune is considered dead in Australia - and Neptune's excuses as to why they pulled their only AU power board and not replaced it do make you shake your head. Whats the use of a Neptune system if there is no power board available? Trident reagants have long lead times, months and no LFS is capable of getting them in consistently. Finally the distributor in AU is horrible, with my local LFS going as far as to say its a cartel.
Hydros - not available anywhere outside of USA.
So for those two companies, actually releasing to the international market in full (and supporting their products internationally) would be for me the best thing they could possibly do right now.

GHL - I have no thoughts on these guys. GHL is not popular or even close to it in Australia. More expensive than Neptune keeps most people away.

ReefPi - Great for the DIYer. But unless you are really invested in it, its a rather "ugly" and "large" solution that would require careful planning to take up minimal amount of space, be water safe and look good. If you want to put the effort into it, its a great project. Oh and the unavailability of Raspberry Pi's over the last year or two makes this project harder, and more expensive (PI prices going up)

my 2cents.

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
If I ever get to the point of wanting a controller I'll just hire a maintenance company to maintain my tanks for me. I thought this was a hobby? I enjoy doing the work. That's part of it...
Maybe the gearhead stuff is a big part of the enjoyment for other people. To each their own.
For me, I don’t enjoy water changes. But I sure as heck enjoyed automating them with my Apex and Dos.

feasting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me if the ReefPi is a good option for a non-software engineer, regular old DIYer? I like the price point, but it looks daunting! I mean, I googled Raspberry Pi and there's way more than just one!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say the winner will be which ever one adds MQTT support that works first.
This would add flexibility that just isn't there with anything but maybe the Reef PI.
I doubt you will see MQTT support with a mainstream controller, people can't even use what they have, let alone anything involving IOT that requires some programming. I watch the apex forums on FB, it's beyond insane with the questions that's put out there.

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been pleased with Hydros so far. I wish they would add an independent salinity probe.
They have a salinity probe coming out this year. They showed it and talked about it at MACNA, one that is to be much more reliable than the complaints neptune has with theirs.

CoralFan1776

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt you will see MQTT support with a mainstream controller, people can't even use what they have, let alone anything involving IOT that requires some programming. I watch the apex forums on FB, it's beyond insane with the questions that's put out there.
This makes me really sad because I'm afraid you are right. Although with the big gain in popularity of home assistant and it's ease of use, things are changing. MQTT is such a light weight protocol that it could easily be done and if optional, then the people that shouldn't be using it wouldn't even know it was there.

DJ Mike Fury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros all the way…really isn’t up for debate anymore…..easiest to setup and works with more third party equipment and tests ALL major water parameters and minor trace elements (if needed like Iron for instance with refugiums)….a lot of Apex users have been leaving for Hydros for reliability as well…Hydros controllers are IP65 rated and they use better hardware (ie meanwell power supplies that are passive cooled on their 8 plug hardwired outlets)…Hydros also doesn’t pigeon hole you where you have to choose the right option at the beginning or it quickly becomes garbage and have to rebuy the “right” module…all the modules are interchangeable with every hydros controller so that as your system grows, you’re not stuck having to buy all new equipment….Hydros offers the best redundancy in case of a failure in one of your controller modules…each module is a separate brain…if one fails, the next Hydros module takes completely over….best of all, they’re made end to end in house in Louisiana….they’re not made in China and other factories like the other company…why is that important? It means they can control the quality of each unit before it goes out the door…... they have alot of new products that will be coming out in Q1 such as the Kraken which allows you to take all the power bricks out of your cabinet and replaces it with one industrial grade meanwell power supply that’s waterproof which is excellent for cable management and safety plus it has a WHOLE system battery backup feature…not just for pumps but whole system in case your house loses power…also coming out in Q1 is the x10 controller that has 4 built in high precision dosers from Kamoer plus it comes with an K10 salinity probe that is rated for saltwater (Apex uses the less accurate K1 probe which is rated mostly for fresh water)…..if you couple the x10 with the Hydros iV for $120…you have an isolated vessel away from your equipment that can house your salinity probe to test conductivity accurately as compared to just directly in the sump where pumps can cause interference…also, at no extra cost, Hydros allows in Q1 in the software, the ability to test Alkalinity using any high precision dosing pump OF YOUR CHOICE (just have to calibrate the units accordingly) OR you can use three of the four dosers on the X10 directly OR just 2 of the precision dosers on X10 coupled with a simple Hydros doser pump powered by a drive port on X10 (to pump waste water from test to a waste bin - doesn’t have to be high precision for that) so it frees up one of the precision pumps maybe so you can do two part dosing AND get alkalinity testing at no extra charge….you can use the Hydros iV to facilitate the test as well OR you can use any glass cup and will work as well…it’s all about options and they understand that reefers like different products and don’t like being pigeon holed to use brand specific equipment dictated by a controller company…that’s the difference

FunnierThanUThink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think hydros will have the most gain in 2023. Coming from Digital aquatics system I chose Hydros just on a value standpoint. The allowance of addition of multiple modules allows a reefer to grow with their tank. Middle class beginners probably make up most of the industry sales so I would say Hydros all the way.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow… seems like I need to look into this Hydros bandwagon…

I’ve been with Apex for over a decade, and while I’ve had my share of issues over the years, their customer support has always been excellent… but I wonder if they’re loosing the edge and getting overtaken in the near future…

BRS (or the PE conglomerate that owns BRS) just purchased Neptune, so curious to see the response to this competition.

spider13258

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow… seems like I need to look into this Hydros bandwagon…

I’ve been with Apex for over a decade, and while I’ve had my share of issues over the years, their customer support has always been excellent… but I wonder if they’re loosing the edge and getting overtaken in the near future…

BRS (or the PE conglomerate that owns BRS) just purchased Neptune, so curious to see the response to this competition.
I believe you already have with the apex3. Wasn’t anything really innovative with it. They replaced one module and added a liquid level sensor (which is smooth). But nothing innovative. They haven’t released an innovative thing since the trident.

Anthony kolodziej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros for the win , I never had a real controller until Hydros I mean I had a reefkeeper that really only did my heaters and calcium reactor. I was set on getting an Apex so I signed up to their facebook page to learn about it I also signed in to fusion to learn how the app works. What I saw was more and more issues. I’m not good with figuring out electronics issues and codes etc . So I looked in to hydros. Made in the USA !!! I lurked on the hydros page a while and noticed there weren’t many if at all hardware issues a few issues was to be expected but 99.9% of what I saw was user error and was fixed in no time by either the user or Hydros support team . And even if there was an issue all the controllers functions kept chugging along as if nothing was wrong. I got an X4 starter pack and when it came the X4 would not connect just flashed red and white . I thought great this isn’t good. I contacted support and Carlos asked me to try a couple things but eventually had to send the unit back and they sent me a new one . I ran it for about 6 months and decided it was time to get a collective super easy to set functions and connect . I did have one issue but it wasn’t the control it was my error. I’d definitely recommend the Hydros

Toky916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I use Apex on my main system,got it as had a good experience with the classic but after many issues over the years with build quality. I’ve had 99% of the apex gear most had a short life.
I’ve played with hydros a bit on other clients tanks. Once the kraken and x10 come out I’ll be converting over. I’m ready for something new. Plus excited to remove most the power bricks and all the extra controllers and cords.

sevitz5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros for sure…. I’m so happy with my choice to go with hydros for my 370 gallon system. Plan on adding Hydros control to my QT setup and my 75 gallon mixed reef as well. Several new products being released this year and have spoken with Connor at hydros multiple times and they aren’t done yet with new releases for them by any means
216FFC0A-9D64-4264-A331-D1FF315EB02D.jpeg
3DFD6082-B9A7-41E2-8C1A-D6DC755CC371.jpeg What power strips are these?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back