Market shifts: What controllers are poised to make the biggest gains this next year?

What controllers are poised to make the biggest gains in the market this next year?

• Apex

Votes: 132 27.2%
  • Hydros

Votes: 236 48.7%
  • GHL

Votes: 28 5.8%
  • Reef Factory

Votes: 39 8.0%
  • Reef Pi

Votes: 33 6.8%
  • Other

Votes: 17 3.5%

• Total voters

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love Hydros. Have it running on three systems in the house. One collective on each display tank and an X2 monitoring and controlling an ato and heater on my QT. Also installing several Hydros controllers on our school tank. If you’ll didn’t know, CoralVue supports aquariums in schools. Im very excited about and looking forward to what is coming in 2023 as I think it’ll be a big year for Hydros.

6DD515F1-EF3B-434D-A64D-7BE3BE6404C8.jpeg
237AD0F9-B40A-46F1-8334-EAF6836C8FE5.jpeg
FC254440-9EC3-4949-A99F-03AD00CE234E.jpeg

Last edited:

Atalien2005

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have both and have enjoyed using them with very minimal problems. I use the Apex and Trident on a smaller system and Hydros on a much larger setup. I do see Hydros as the way of the future as they seem more innovative and are listening to there customer base.

RLucas50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a complete Apex system with controller, EB8, DOS, etc. for 8 months. After the third time I had to send it in for repair (it took 2 to 3 weeks each time) and my tank crashed with me trying to run everything manually, I ordered Hydros units. The Apex crap went into a box and the Hydros stuff has run flawlessly for about 4 months now.
I can’t wait for the release of the Kraken and getting rid of most if not all of my power bricks and adding a marine deep-cell battery for backup. I would highly recommend anyone needing quality equipment to control their tank to look into the Hydros units.

TheReefAddict

More Than An Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros for sure…. I’m so happy with my choice to go with hydros for my 370 gallon system. Plan on adding Hydros control to my QT setup and my 75 gallon mixed reef as well. Several new products being released this year and have spoken with Connor at hydros multiple times and they aren’t done yet with new releases for them by any means
216FFC0A-9D64-4264-A331-D1FF315EB02D.jpeg
Well that is a clean setup!

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted Reef-Pi: you can't buy a Raspberry Pi without massive scalping pricing right now, which means if that clears out in 2023 you can actually buy one. Massive improvement!

I've never been impressed with any APEX _hardware_ nor _software_. I still run them for some basic control, but I've literally had to do board level repairs for issues. And the mobile app is garbage, as is any of the operations there in (show any tech product person the workflow for the Trident and setting up alarms, etc they'd probably have an aneurysm).

The Trident isn't half bad. Its a pretty simple design, which is handy when you need to clean out salt from the internal tubing, which is also easier when you run it taken apart to reduce its very odd size. However, the tubing is so tiny you do need to clean it, even if you supply it from a very fine sediment filter. Or when the app silently stops updating since it ran out reagent A again and you didn't notice for a week...

Never experienced the Hydros, but looking at the use of some nice IP6x rated box and possibly watertight connectors, I'm happy with their choices there. Aquarium control functions are all pretty basic and simple, so its nice to see someone investing the money not in custom orange plastic but in nicer connectors and durability.

HiddenGentleman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have a salinity probe coming out this year. They showed it and talked about it at MACNA, one that is to be much more reliable than the complaints neptune has with theirs.
I saw that, but I believe that you have to buy the new $900 X10 which has a special port for it. I don't need the other functions of the X10. I'd like to see them release one that works with the existing sense ports.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a particular company like BRS doesn’t stock a competitor controller properly, doesn’t sell the complete product line, throws away already completed competitor product highlights after the merger, you’re not getting a fair gauge either. It’s just a lame tactic to control a narrative with sales since the new controller is seen as a legitimate threat. With this post, it’s showing that BRS can be a shill for Neptune all it wants in its confines, but outside its bubble, there are considerably better options and the community sees it.
What other controllers would you like to see BRS sell other than GHL, Hydros and Neptune Apex because they do sell all three? CoralVue is also a supplier of aquarium products just like BRS but only sell one of the above mentioned controllers. Funny how you like to bash one company that sells three controllers but a company that only sells one is perfectly fine with you.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other controllers would you like to see BRS sell other than GHL, Hydros and Neptune Apex because they do sell all three? CoralVue is also a supplier of aquarium products just like BRS but only sell one of the above mentioned controllers. Funny how you like to bash one company that sells three controllers but a company that only sells one is perfectly fine with you.

This is a little inaccurate. CoralVue is a distributor not a retail store. First, Hydros is their brand. Second, they don’t just sell any products, they sell the ones that they have distributorship agreements with and most products can not be purchased direct from them as they are also not a retail store. BRS is first and foremost, a retail store. You are trying to compare two different types of businesses.

Also, the post you are responding to is referring to BRS not carrying the complete Hydros line and the fact they dropped/never released Thomas’ completed Hydros product highlight and review videos. Which can be seen as an attempt to stifle competition as they have a vested interest in the success of Neptune.

spider13258

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow so much fan-boying all sides. The question was asked who is gonna make the biggest gains in market share. Usually companies that create new and innovative products do that. It’s not about who is your favorite, who has been around longest and already owns the biggest share, who doesn’t ship here it there. Keep it to the question. At hand. Biggest problem with forums, just can’t keep it on task.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a little inaccurate. CoralVue is a distributor not a retail store. First, Hydros is their brand. Second, they don’t just sell any products, they sell the ones that they have distributorship agreements with and most products can not be purchased direct from them as they are also not a retail store. BRS is first and foremost, a retail store. You are trying to compare two different types of businesses.

Also, the post you are responding to is referring to BRS not carrying the complete Hydros line and the fact they dropped/never released Thomas’ completed Hydros product highlight and review videos. Which can be seen as an attempt to stifle competition as they have a vested interest in the success of Neptune.
Agree I might have been a little inaccurate but your comment about Coral view "as they are also not a retail store" is also inaccurate because you can buy their brand products directly from them which by definition makes them also a retail store. Retail store by definition: A place of business usually owned and operated by a retailer but sometimes owned and operated by a manufacturer or by someone other than a retailer in which merchandise is sold primarily to ultimate consumers. You can also purchase many BRS name brand products from other retailers which also makes BRS a distributor. So I guess we are both correct and incorrect in our statements in some respect. Honestly I just get tired of people bashing other companies when they can just go purchase or use similar products from someone else.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree I might have been a little inaccurate but your comment about Coral view "as they are also not a retail store" is also inaccurate because you can buy their brand products directly from them which by definition makes them also a retail store. Retail store by definition: A place of business usually owned and operated by a retailer but sometimes owned and operated by a manufacturer or by someone other than a retailer in which merchandise is sold primarily to ultimate consumers. You can also purchase many BRS name brand products from other retailers which also makes BRS a distributor. So I guess we are both correct and incorrect in our statements in some respect. Honestly I just get tired of people bashing other companies when they can just go purchase or use similar products from someone else.
It depends on what it is whether you can purchase it directly or not. It is usually the things that are not always carried by the dealers that you can buy directly. When looking up a Hydros X4 pro pack this is what you get. It does not appear to be available directly and they steer you to a local dealer. Most of the things that can be purchased directly are accessories, parts, close outs and open boxes.

62BA30E2-1E85-456B-B7C5-2A52E226A3CB.png

spider13258

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a poll. We’ve all answered and then posted why. Not sure how any of this is off task, but okay.
But you clearly stated you love the hydros. Again it’s not who you love. It’s who will gain the market share the most. So obviously you are off task. lol.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you clearly stated you love the hydros. Again it’s not who you love. It’s who will gain the market share the most. So obviously you are off task. lol.

Read the whole post. Based on what’s coming and the year ahead I chose Hydros. Not off task at all. Based on my experience, I love it, and shown by responses here, people are buying it. That in itself can be a sign of a change in market share. If people’s opinions of something are high, that is evidence of a possible change. It’s all opinion, as unless we have sales numbers there is nothing concrete to go on here.

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going with Reef Factory I already want to drop Apex for them and they havent even released all their products. within next few paychecks I will pick up a whole reef factory system

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back