Atalien2005

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello reefing friends. I recently upgraded an IM25 Lagoon (pictured) to an IM50 Lagoon and I thought, what a great opportunity to start my first build thread. I’ve been in the hobby coming up on 3 years and have had a few different tanks in that time frame. Most have either been sold or in storage because of a recent move from WA State, back to GA after retiring from the Air Force. Currently I have 3 tanks up and running which includes a Waterbox 25 pen, IM 10 cube and this IM 50 upgrade. Well enough about that, let’s get to the equipment list.

TANK:
Innovative Marine 50 gallon Lagoon

STAND:
Innovative Marine black aluminum stand with motion sense lights

LIGHTING:
1 x Reefi LED Duo Extreme
Ecotech Marine XR30 single arm RMS kit
3D printed Reefi adapter

PUMPS/WAVEMAKERS:
CurrentUSA eFlux DC flow pump 1050gph
2 x VCA Flex Series 1/2" Random Flow Generator
1 x Panta Rhei 42 Pro
1 x Ecotech Marine MP-10

HEATER:
Finnex HMX 150s titanium heater w/digital touchpad & guard

MECHANICAL & BIO FILTRATION:
1 x Magtool DCSQ-70 skimmer w/upgraded pump and controller (Best Nano skimmer IMO)
1 x Corals by Design AIO auto roller filter
1 x Santa Monica Drop 1.4 algae scrubber
1 x Innovative Marine Auqa Shield UV Sterilizer Midsize
2 bags x Seachem Matrix bio media in rear chamber
40 lbs Caribsea Fiji Pink Arag-Live
Tonga Branch and Indo rock in the display

LID:
Clearview lid
Innovative Marine lid (backup)

AUTO TOP OFF:
Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155
Bashsea SS-5 Signature reservoir

CONTROLLER/CONTROLLER BOARD:
Adaptive Reef Controller board mounted inside stand
1 x Hydros Control X4
2 x Hydros XP8
1 x Hydros 4 outlet power strip
1 x Hydros heater probe
1 x Neptune Apex head unit (no EB832 connected because of the potential fire hazard)
1 x Neptune Trident running ABC reagents

LIVESTOCK:
1 x Black Storm Clownfish
1 x Snow Storm Clownfish
1 x Marine Betta
2 x Scribbled Anthias
2 x Engineer Goby
1 x Juvenile Powder Blue Tang (will be upgraded to my 300 gal Reef Savvy tank)
1 x Bowtie Damsel (will be rehomed soon to add a wrasse, which is my favorite type fish)

INVERTS AND CLEAN UP CREW:
Various snails and crabs from previous IM25 so not sure of count.
1 x Tuxedo Urchin
1 x Pink Sea Cucumber

CORALS:
1 x Green Leather
4 x Gonzo Golden Dragon Mushroom

FUTURE PLANS:
The sand, rocks and some of the fish have been setup since early February in the IM25, essentially as a FOWLR tank. I plan to rehome the leather and this will be an all highend SPS and mushroom (favorite coral) tank. I will put a test SPS piece in the tank within the next week or two. The X10 from Hydros is also on horizon and should be released within the next couple of weeks as I plan to use that as my doser and add the IV device to test Alk.

Being that wrasses are my favorite fish I need to add one to this tank. I think I’ve narrowed it down to being a mystery wrasse since I’m limited with this tank only being 50gal.

The last thing I need to get to is cable management and controller placement. Currently under the stand isn’t showtime ready. I ordered cable cord labels today. Now just waiting on the X10 to come out and the cord labels to tackle the birds nest of wires.

More updates to come…

C17D14AC-E4E1-4FED-AE7A-658351C9BFB9.jpeg

Innovative Marine 25gal all cleaned up, right before selling it.

856AD1AB-305B-44B3-9CEA-FA31146CBAA9.jpeg

Currently the IM50 is going through a mini ugly stage. I will get more pictures soon of the display and under the stand.

Thanks for coming on this journey with me!

OP
OP
A

Atalien2005

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have this tank, it is a good one. I was going to try and use the Magtool skimmer but couldn't get it to fit where I wanted, did you have to modify it?
Yes, I had to cut a small piece of the screw head off. I will take a picture of what I cut and send it to you.

OP
OP
A

Atalien2005

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have this tank, it is a good one. I was going to try and use the Magtool skimmer but couldn't get it to fit where I wanted, did you have to modify it?
@cwerner if you look at the two screws, you see how it still has the “cap” for a phillips head screw driver. On the single screw I cut that part off and it allowed the skimmer to fit.

Attachments

• B411A715-B0A2-4D2E-8976-D0AE18AAAA4D.jpeg
    B411A715-B0A2-4D2E-8976-D0AE18AAAA4D.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 65

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefing friends. I recently upgraded an IM25 Lagoon (pictured) to an IM50 Lagoon and I thought, what a great opportunity to start my first build thread. I’ve been in the hobby coming up on 3 years and have had a few different tanks in that time frame. Most have either been sold or in storage because of a recent move from WA State, back to GA after retiring from the Air Force. Currently I have 3 tanks up and running which includes a Waterbox 25 pen, IM 10 cube and this IM 50 upgrade. Well enough about that, let’s get to the equipment list.

TANK:
Innovative Marine 50 gallon Lagoon

STAND:
Innovative Marine black aluminum stand with motion sense lights

LIGHTING:
1 x Reefi LED Duo Extreme
Ecotech Marine XR30 single arm RMS kit
3D printed Reefi adapter

PUMPS/WAVEMAKERS:
CurrentUSA eFlux DC flow pump 1050gph
2 x VCA Flex Series 1/2" Random Flow Generator
1 x Panta Rhei 42 Pro
1 x Ecotech Marine MP-10

HEATER:
Finnex HMX 150s titanium heater w/digital touchpad & guard

MECHANICAL & BIO FILTRATION:
1 x Magtool DCSQ-70 skimmer w/upgraded pump and controller (Best Nano skimmer IMO)
1 x Corals by Design AIO auto roller filter
1 x Santa Monica Drop 1.4 algae scrubber
1 x Innovative Marine Auqa Shield UV Sterilizer Midsize
2 bags x Seachem Matrix bio media in rear chamber
40 lbs Caribsea Fiji Pink Arag-Live
Tonga Branch and Indo rock in the display

LID:
Clearview lid
Innovative Marine lid (backup)

AUTO TOP OFF:
Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155
Bashsea SS-5 Signature reservoir

CONTROLLER/CONTROLLER BOARD:
Adaptive Reef Controller board mounted inside stand
1 x Hydros Control X4
2 x Hydros XP8
1 x Hydros 4 outlet power strip
1 x Hydros heater probe
1 x Neptune Apex head unit (no EB832 connected because of the potential fire hazard)
1 x Neptune Trident running ABC reagents

LIVESTOCK:
1 x Black Storm Clownfish
1 x Snow Storm Clownfish
1 x Marine Betta
2 x Scribbled Anthias
2 x Engineer Goby
1 x Juvenile Powder Blue Tang (will be upgraded to my 300 gal Reef Savvy tank)
1 x Bowtie Damsel (will be rehomed soon to add a wrasse, which is my favorite type fish)

INVERTS AND CLEAN UP CREW:
Various snails and crabs from previous IM25 so not sure of count.
1 x Tuxedo Urchin
1 x Pink Sea Cucumber

CORALS:
1 x Green Leather
4 x Gonzo Golden Dragon Mushroom

FUTURE PLANS:
The sand, rocks and some of the fish have been setup since early February in the IM25, essentially as a FOWLR tank. I plan to rehome the leather and this will be an all highend SPS and mushroom (favorite coral) tank. I will put a test SPS piece in the tank within the next week or two. The X10 from Hydros is also on horizon and should be released within the next couple of weeks as I plan to use that as my doser and add the IV device to test Alk.

Being that wrasses are my favorite fish I need to add one to this tank. I think I’ve narrowed it down to being a mystery wrasse since I’m limited with this tank only being 50gal.

The last thing I need to get to is cable management and controller placement. Currently under the stand isn’t showtime ready. I ordered cable cord labels today. Now just waiting on the X10 to come out and the cord labels to tackle the birds nest of wires.

More updates to come…

C17D14AC-E4E1-4FED-AE7A-658351C9BFB9.jpeg

Innovative Marine 25gal all cleaned up, right before selling it.

856AD1AB-305B-44B3-9CEA-FA31146CBAA9.jpeg

Currently the IM50 is going through a mini ugly stage. I will get more pictures soon of the display and under the stand.

Thanks for coming on this journey with me!
Tank is off to a good start!

OP
OP
A

Atalien2005

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks like a great start. Any updates?
Tank picture taken today. Still battling the uglies, mostly just scrubbing the rocks and adding MicroBacter Clean. Put in my first test corals in, a couple of acros and two chalices. The acros are doing ok but I don’t think the chalice corals are going to make it. All parameters are testing fine and in range…guess tank just needs more time. There has been a little aggression in the tank but nothing too bad.

I’m still waiting on the new products to be released from Hydros before I tackle the mess of wires under the stand. Also I’m starting to question my decision on having engineer gobies in the tank. Might have to rethink that plan. I gave away the bowtie damsel last weekend to add a couple other fish, pics below.
5E2CA800-B63B-4233-BAD4-D31FAA328B9A.jpeg
1E1CF5DF-06FA-4A14-B50E-E01FC12F2DC5.jpeg
49659C40-6738-4880-B373-42781B630701.jpeg
B151ED4F-5DF8-440A-B0F5-FCF38BA21093.jpeg

OP
OP
A

Atalien2005

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Update time.

I’m finally starting to get what I think is Dinos, under control. I installed an Aqua Ultraviolet 8W HangOn UV and that definitely helped. I’ve since upgraded to the 15W model, hoping to completely knock out the remaining Dinos. I’ve also seen a couple of my fish flashing so I figured the extra wattage could help with Ich management if by chance it’s in the system.
E7D899B6-AFA1-4E91-8A29-B57593D5B456.jpeg

DC8C9283-E9BB-4EFC-81A3-CA51F7490636.jpeg
5A4094F2-B5B5-4F3D-A5C5-A116891B6ACB.jpeg

I changed out the rockscape to a style that’s a lot more appealing to my eye as Tonga branch is my absolute favorite type of rock. Also I felt the structure that I had before was too dense and very hard to brush out hair algae and detritus. I can’t wait to see what it will look like once I get some nice SPS growing. Speaking of corals, the test corals I put in didn’t fare so well and that’s because my nutrient level is through the roof. I’ve started carbon dosing with Tropic Marin Elimi-NP and a couple of big water changes. Hopefully that gets everything going in the right direction.

As far as fish for the most part everyone is doing good. I believe I’ve lost the 3 wrasses (mystery, yellow coris and Timor) that were in the system. The Timor and Coris never settled in and I lost them a few days after putting them in the tank. I’ve just noticed over the last couple of days, I haven’t seen the mystery wrasse. I haven’t found a body so I guess there’s a chance that he could be hiding, atleast I hope so.

I keep hearing different release dates for the Hydros X10. Because I’m still waiting on that, I haven’t gotten around to wire management yet. It’s still a hot mess under the stand. Once I get the last few pieces of equipment I will tackle that challenge.
5B54CC27-44A0-4AD3-88AA-5EDB04CFBD68.jpeg

OP
OP
A

Atalien2005

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Any updates?
No recent pics of the tank because I’ve moved over the last couple of weeks and have been slowly setting the tanks back up, to include my new Hydros equipment. (Photo below) I’ve been battling some type of feathery algae, that has turned into GHA. Did a scrub of the tank yesterday and was able to get all of the GHA off the rocks.

I’ve lost a couple of skunk tilefish. Both jumped out of the tank even with a lid, don’t ask me how. Current fish list includes, Golden Hawkfish, 2 clowns, 2 engineer gobies and the power blue.

Just finished up some cable management today. I wish I could get it a little bit cleaner but this will have to do for now. I’ve waiting on a John Guess fitting that will be delivered tomorrow. It’s the final piece I need to get the x10 and iV working properly.

271F4A28-8A0A-457B-8D2F-2FEE6FD0112C.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back