Hopefully one of the quickest build threads on Reef2Reef!

TheReefAddict

More Than An Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0618.jpg
Every build should, IMO start off with the obligatory photo of ones kid in an empty tank!
Now that I've got that out of the way, I should probably introduce myself. I've been fooling around with this hobby/addiction since about 2006. I started off with a 40Gal bio wheel eclipse. Though the years I've gone up and down in tank sizes, and after a 2 year hiatus I put together I put together a 60 Gal cube LPS/nem tank. It wasn't long before I started wanting another large tank. After slowly and methodically warming the wife up to the idea, I got the green light. So the hunt was one trying to find what I thought would make a nice tank setup. I didn't want to get to greedy so I settled on a 120Gal 48X24X24 that is drill for the Synergy Shadow overflow.

The Foundation:
I knew I wanted something sturdy so I started looking for a welded steel table. I found the little giant table.

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/work-benches/tables-stands/machine-tables/heavy-duty-machine-table-30-x-48-x-36

I know its a bit overkill with the 10,000 lbs. rating. At least I know its sturdy.

Filtration:
I didn't want to bust the budget on a sump, after all they are pretty utilitarian, and I felt my money would be better served down the road. I chose the Icecap 36XL. I felt it was really reasonably priced and would serve its purpose. My only grip with the sump is the location of the ATO. Its in the back right corner which will make filling it a pain.
IMG_0663.jpg

You can see to the left, there is space for an 11" deep cabinet. I'll be build the cabinet to house all my Neptune goodies. Why yes that is a new COR 20.
My next item I began searching for was a skimmer. After many, many, many hours of searching on craigslist, forums, and eBay, I was able to get my hands on a brand new, still in the box Bubble King 180.
image4.jpeg

I was a steal. I cant wait to get this beast running.

Next I wanted to try something different for a media reactor. After searching around I decided to give the AVAST Marine Spyglass a try. I had reached out to AVAST and asked a few questions, telling them what I was planning on doing (I was planning on running 3 small Spyglass reactors). To my surprise they responded with a suggestion to go in a little different direction, which in turn saved me a few bucks. They suggested I go with to mediums instead. I went ahead and bought 1 medium to test the waters. If all goes well I'll definitely be buying another one. They seem really well built.
image3.jpeg

Lights:

I had a lot debating with myself on which route to go with the lighting. I currently use the AI Hydra HD on my 60Gal cube. I'm pretty happy with it so far, but wanted to try something new. So it was down to Kessil vs. Radion. Kessil, the set it and forget it, it seems dummy proof. The radion with all the controllability...im bound to screw it up. In the end I decide when you have a chance to own and drive a Ferrari, well you just cant pass it up! The plan is to get a total of 3 XR15 Gen4 Pros.
image2.jpeg

IMG_0658.jpg

Well that's my start. I'll continue to update the progress as I go.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0618.jpg
Every build should, IMO start off with the obligatory photo of ones kid in an empty tank!
Now that I've got that out of the way, I should probably introduce myself. I've been fooling around with this hobby/addiction since about 2006. I started off with a 40Gal bio wheel eclipse. Though the years I've gone up and down in tank sizes, and after a 2 year hiatus I put together I put together a 60 Gal cube LPS/nem tank. It wasn't long before I started wanting another large tank. After slowly and methodically warming the wife up to the idea, I got the green light. So the hunt was one trying to find what I thought would make a nice tank setup. I didn't want to get to greedy so I settled on a 120Gal 48X24X24 that is drill for the Synergy Shadow overflow.

The Foundation:
I knew I wanted something sturdy so I started looking for a welded steel table. I found the little giant table.

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/work-benches/tables-stands/machine-tables/heavy-duty-machine-table-30-x-48-x-36

I know its a bit overkill with the 10,000 lbs. rating. At least I know its sturdy.

Filtration:
I didn't want to bust the budget on a sump, after all they are pretty utilitarian, and I felt my money would be better served down the road. I chose the Icecap 36XL. I felt it was really reasonably priced and would serve its purpose. My only grip with the sump is the location of the ATO. Its in the back right corner which will make filling it a pain.
IMG_0663.jpg

You can see to the left, there is space for an 11" deep cabinet. I'll be build the cabinet to house all my Neptune goodies. Why yes that is a new COR 20.
My next item I began searching for was a skimmer. After many, many, many hours of searching on craigslist, forums, and eBay, I was able to get my hands on a brand new, still in the box Bubble King 180.
image4.jpeg

Next I wanted to try something different for a media reactor. After searching around I decided to give the AVAST Marine Spyglass a try. I had reached out to AVAST and asked a few questions, telling them what I was planning on doing (I was planning on running 3 small Spyglass reactors). To my surprise they responded with a suggestion to go in a little different direction, which in turn saved me a few bucks. They suggested I go with to mediums instead. I went ahead and bought 1 medium to test the waters. If all goes well I'll definitely be buying another one. They seem really well built.
image3.jpeg

Lights:

I had a lot debating with myself on which route to go with the lighting. I currently use the AI Hydra HD on my 60Gal cube. I'm pretty happy with it so far, but wanted to try something new. So it was down to Kessil vs. Radion. Kessil, the set it and forget it, it seems dummy proof. The radion with all the controllability...im bound to screw it up. In the end I decide when you have a chance to own and drive a Ferrari, well you just cant pass it up! The plan is to get a total of 3 XR15 Gen4 Pros.
image2.jpeg

IMG_0658.jpg

Beautiful!
Yes, the kid. The setup is sweet as well.

Welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
TheReefAddict

TheReefAddict

More Than An Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So quick question to the masses. The fuge is 8.3” X 18. In my current tank I’m using a tunze 8850 full spectrum led light. Do I switch to 1 or 2 kessil h80’s, or 1 h380? Or should I just stick with what I’m already using?

TysTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great. Such a good size too!
Good luck with the next steps

OP
OP
TheReefAddict

TheReefAddict

More Than An Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well due to overwhelming response...... cricket, cricket. I’m thinking I’ll give the H80 a go. Givin the dimensions of the fuge, I figure the H380 would be overkill, and the H80, though small, would be scalable. Might need to do 2 H80’s for the narrow fuge. Anyone have some tips for apex flow meters? I’m really new to the apex world and would appreciate any input.

OP
OP
TheReefAddict

TheReefAddict

More Than An Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D18D786B-3329-4437-BB9E-C742342CB0BD.jpeg

Making progress. One pipe shy of a full load. I’m gonna have to order one more length of 1-1/4” blue pipe.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0618.jpg

The Foundation:

Filtration:
IMG_0663.jpg

image4.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Lights:

image2.jpeg

IMG_0658.jpg

Looks really good so far, and you already have one of the most costly fish, the one in the first photo good luck

OP
OP
TheReefAddict

TheReefAddict

More Than An Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
21F3BB6B-C78E-4E32-B415-0C28CD4D407D.jpeg

dang it!:mad: And Neptune has corner the market on BSPT unions, seriously did they have to be British. Go on Neptune’s website and try to buy one, $10 + $15 shipping. I figure might as well buy a whole new FS100 have an extra BSPT union lying around as well as an extra sensor for $60. Just venting, I love all my Neptune products up to this point. There customer service is second to none. Placed my order with BRS this afternoon and should be back in business on Thursday. Next time I won’t rush when I’m gluing everything together.

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
21F3BB6B-C78E-4E32-B415-0C28CD4D407D.jpeg

dang it!:mad: And Neptune has corner the market on BSPT unions, seriously did they have to be British. Go on Neptune’s website and try to buy one, $10 + $15 shipping. I figure might as well buy a whole new FS100 have an extra BSPT union lying around as well as an extra sensor for $60. Just venting, I love all my Neptune products up to this point. There customer service is second to none. Placed my order with BRS this afternoon and should be back in business on Thursday. Next time I won’t rush when I’m gluing everything together.
I feel your pain on the leak. Luckily I leak tested with tap water but I still had to drain the tank 5 times >:( Good luck. Nice build so far.

OP
OP
TheReefAddict

TheReefAddict

More Than An Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also would love some advice on how to quiet down the synergy overflow, with the bean animal setup. It’s a bit loud for my wife’s liking.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 55 84.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back