Hopefully one of the quickest build threads on Reef2Reef!

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am following closely I hope to get water in mine this week. I see on the synergy overflow there is a hole in the top of the main drain line put some air line in it. I have not started mine yet but I think it will quiet it down. I am praying I don't have any leaks good luck

OP
OP
TheReefAddict

TheReefAddict

More Than An Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am following closely I hope to get water in mine this week. I see on the synergy overflow there is a hole in the top of the main drain line put some air line in it. I have not started mine yet but I think it will quiet it down. I am praying I don't have any leaks good luck

Thanks for the tip, I’ll give it another go on Thursday.

OP
OP
TheReefAddict

TheReefAddict

More Than An Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve hit a snag. Got the tank moved into position and the wife wants to paint. So now I’m waiting until she finds just the right shade of gray to repaint the living room before I fill the tank. Maybe not the quickest build thread.

OP
OP
TheReefAddict

TheReefAddict

More Than An Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the wife finally picked a color. Drizzle, doesn’t it sound peacefully? I’ll be painting this week, hopefully adding water by Monday. Any tips for leveling a stand? Should I use the plastic shims at Home Depot? What have you guys used to level stands?

OP
OP
TheReefAddict

TheReefAddict

More Than An Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FE5D9424-9F47-4B34-B09E-EDF1DEE33814.jpeg
8C590534-1DD9-4820-97AE-4772468BEFAC.jpeg
B10C3677-10EC-43F9-892E-8D0D5D85E181.jpeg

OP
OP
TheReefAddict

TheReefAddict

More Than An Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living room is painted! I was able add sand, and start playing with the aquascape. I’m planning on using the aquascape already in use in the old tank. So right now the plan is to get the new design on the right side close to what I like. Then I’ll place all leftover dry rock on the left side and let it all cure that way I’ll have options. I’m looking to do a large cave for a sun coral garden. I got picked for the NSI AI beta testing. So I’m gonna run two xr15 gen 4 pros, and two AI Hydra 26 HD. Hoping to get it wet Sunday.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living room is painted! I was able add sand, and start playing with the aquascape. I’m planning on using the aquascape already in use in the old tank. So right now the plan is to get the new design on the right side close to what I like. Then I’ll place all leftover dry rock on the left side and let it all cure that way I’ll have options. I’m looking to do a large cave for a sun coral garden. I got picked for the NSI AI beta testing. So I’m gonna run two xr15 gen 4 pros, and two AI Hydra 26 HD. Hoping to get it wet Sunday.
Looks good, I got to say this, Dan your a fast painter. painting is something I hate to do.

OP
OP
TheReefAddict

TheReefAddict

More Than An Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too, when I die, if I go down and not up, Satan will hand me a paint brush and say hey to work. I can’t stand painting.

Last edited:

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pertaining to the noisy over flow.
Is the noise in the pipe or overflow box?
Is the water from the tank falling into the box? If so You have to raise the water level.so The water flows from the tank with no drop. The water level has to be pretty high in the box to do this.
Can I assume the gate valve to control the full siphon drain is under the tank ? Anyway, If the water level in the box is up to the tops of the bulkheads, we can talk Ya thru the other adjusts to make it "very" quiet.
Great job so far!

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good....I have a 21" external ovlflo with BA set up and it is by far the quietest part of the tank! Get the water level up so there is no vortexing etc...into the main full siphon drain and if you have a stand pipe in the main drain, get rid of it...totally unnecessary. and on your secondary drill a small hole in the top of the elbow and install a piece of airline tubing (if you haven't already). Hopefully that gets you where you want to be. Oh and BTW I was 6 days from tank arrival to placing stock from my old tank.... ;) ;)

IMG_7167.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheReefAddict

TheReefAddict

More Than An Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pertaining to the noisy over flow.
Is the noise in the pipe or overflow box?
Is the water from the tank falling into the box? If so You have to raise the water level.so The water flows from the tank with no drop. The water level has to be pretty high in the box to do this.
Can I assume the gate valve to control the full siphon drain is under the tank ? Anyway, If the water level in the box is up to the tops of the bulkheads, we can talk Ya thru the other adjusts to make it "very" quiet.
Great job so far!

You’re right with the overflow. The water is probably too low in the rear box. I think I need to adjust the pipes in the rear box as well. After reading a few other threads, and your advice it sounds as though the rear box needs to really full. I’m gonna tinker with it tomorrow. I think I’ll cut the pipes 1/4” longer than the suggested length.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There YA go ! the trickle pipe will need to be real high? I didn't cap with the U's on top .
This trickle is as tall as the top of the bulkhead. the emergency, even taller !

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheReefAddict

TheReefAddict

More Than An Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that is why I love this REEF2REEF forum. Thank you cracker, swoody, and mark grey for your insight. I raised the pipes in the rear box and added piece of airline tubing in the main drain. Closed the valve a little and the overflow is almost silent. Now I have to wait for this darn thing to cycle. I’m not going to rush it. I’m going to start working on the box for the apex gadgets! I’m on the fence on weather or not to run a UV strerizer. Any thoughts on the subject?

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that is why I love this REEF2REEF forum. Thank you cracker, swoody, and mark grey for your insight. I raised the pipes in the rear box and added piece of airline tubing in the main drain. Closed the valve a little and the overflow is almost silent. Now I have to wait for this darn thing to cycle. I’m not going to rush it. I’m going to start working on the box for the apex gadgets! I’m on the fence on weather or not to run a UV strerizer. Any thoughts on the subject?
Mine finally cycled, I am one I have had not reef tanks the whole time but had salt water now for around 40 years. I have never and unless I start a LFS hum thinking lol. I won't run a UV. OK it will help with one stage of Ick but only the free swimming part, it will help a little with floating plankton but I want that for my corals. it won't kill all the pods but some of them and I want them to so at least for me No UV

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The U.V. question is really dependant on your desire to quarantine all your inverts and fish or use a U.V. that is in the 45,000 micro watt kill range. I have had great success both ways but tended to kill more fish with prophylactic use of medications. So I tend to set up a U.V. system for my fish. In the wild there is no medication or U.V. so healthy fish seem to resist many of the disease organisms we fight in closed systems. Choices choices. Wish you well in your new build.

OP
OP
TheReefAddict

TheReefAddict

More Than An Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The U.V. question is really dependant on your desire to quarantine all your inverts and fish or use a U.V. that is in the 45,000 micro watt kill range. I have had great success both ways but tended to kill more fish with prophylactic use of medications. So I tend to set up a U.V. system for my fish. In the wild there is no medication or U.V. so healthy fish seem to resist many of the disease organisms we fight in closed systems. Choices choices. Wish you well in your new build.
I'm looking forward to seeing how you setup your apex.

OP
OP
TheReefAddict

TheReefAddict

More Than An Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5B5DF8B1-293F-4BED-A595-6D8FDD356F75.jpeg

So I’m starting to lay out the brains of this operation. My ammonia is at zero. I think I’m going to transfer the live rock from my old tank next weekend. After that I’ll let the tank marinate for a couple more weeks before I start slowly transferring the livestock over the course of a few weeks.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back