Markings on Gem Tang I can only see at night?

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had her 2 days now. I somewhat noticed it out of the bag, in the dark, but wasn’t sure if it was reflection. Anyway, it has markings on both sides visible at night. During the day, under whites and later blues, I cannot see anything like prominent HLLE or Ich, but it may just be its color that makes it difficult. Is this damage or a disease, or some sort of night camouflage type actions?

IMG_5893.jpeg

IMG_5894.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
onlyreefers Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
onlyreefers Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

How long have you had the fish with the condition? - just got it shipped to me 2 days ago

Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?) - no

Current water quality measurements - Salinity 1.026 (35ppt), 420 Ca, 1300 Mg, 8.5 Alk, Temp 78.5-79 F, PH 8.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrates 10-15ppm, RODI no tap.

Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube). - only visible at night

-Eating abundantly, even at Day 1 (Frozen Brine with Selcon, Hakari Marine S pellets, and grazes occasionally. Its not a big fan of the veggie clip with sea veggies seaweed. I have 4 mexican turbo snails and a diamond goby. who keep the tank algae free, so not much to graze, looking to remove a couple snails or maybe increase nutrients to promote more growth.

Only other live stock is 6 baby clowns. No issues with them.

I recently read about stress marks, but I’ll take any input I can get. Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the fish with the condition? - just got it shipped to me 2 days ago

Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?) - no

Current water quality measurements - Salinity 1.026 (35ppt), 420 Ca, 1300 Mg, 8.5 Alk, Temp 78.5-79 F, PH 8.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrates 10-15ppm, RODI no tap.

Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube). - only visible at night

-Eating abundantly, even at Day 1 (Frozen Brine with Selcon, Hakari Marine S pellets, and grazes occasionally. Its not a big fan of the veggie clip with sea veggies seaweed. I have 4 mexican turbo snails and a diamond goby. who keep the tank algae free, so not much to graze, looking to remove a couple snails or maybe increase nutrients to promote more growth.

Only other live stock is 6 baby clowns. No issues with them.

I recently read about stress marks, but I’ll take any input I can get. Thanks!
Sorry - I just woke up and saw your post.

Gem tangs have an odd night/stress coloration and yours is showing that. By itself, it is nothing to worry about.

That said, without any quarantine process in place, other things can crop up, so watch the fish closely for:
Pinpoint white spots
Increased breathing rate.
Lower feeding response
Scratching on surfaces.

Jay

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gem tangs have an odd night/stress coloration and yours is showing that. By itself, it is nothing to worry about.

That said, without any quarantine process in place, other things can crop up, so watch the fish closely for:
Pinpoint white spots
Lower feeding response
Scratching on surfaces.

Jay
Thank you!!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting night coloration. I have not seen a gem at night; just the yellow cousins.

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pinpoint white spots
Lower feeding response
Scratching on surfaces.

Jay

There is a small line of smaller white specs a little bit behind the eye, that goes back maybe halfway. I’ll keep an eye our for the other indicators and start researching/building a QT/hospital tang just in case. I have a 25W lifeguard UV arriving today, so hopefully that’ll address any potential ich

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back