OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my final large rock (pukani from BRS). I think it looks better, but I'm not the greatest at aquascaping. I get a small valley out of this plus a few more shaded areas for lower light corals.

Last edited:

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good!!!

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest FTS. Still improving and adding more little frags here and there.

2013022240fts.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img571/184/2013022240fts.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Belated update.

Turning this into a thread for both my tanks. Specs updated in first post.

Latest pics of both tanks:

dsc0135edit.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img707/8765/dsc0135edit.jpg

dsc0137edit.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img853/9529/dsc0137edit.jpg

dsc0141edit.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img836/4723/dsc0141edit.jpg

The 40 has come a long way since my first mini-crash. The only real negative is the discovery of AEFW and having to discard a couple of corals and learn to live with them. I've basted my few remaining acros each water change and haven't seen anything come off.

The 46 is a result of attempting a true nano, a 20 long, and then growing tired of my freshwater planted in the 46 and thinking how it would make a nice reef tank. The main negative with the bowfront, for a reef, is lack of clarity when trying to view small details. As a result most of my montis are in the 40, and this tank is reserved for corals that don't require small details to be enjoyed. The green slimer was moved as soon as AEFW was discovered on a new coral, and so far has done nothing but grow and look good. A couple of other acros destined for the 40 ended up in here for the same reason.

Thanks for looking.

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some additional rock to my 46. The left side is inaccessible since the tank sits in an alcove of sorts so I took advantage of not needing to clean the left side in order to place a new huge rock and get my grumpy (tries to sting everything) Toxic hammer off the sandbed.

img20130602184143.jpg

Some other coral pics from my 40B

Newly acquired Chili pepper monti cap.

dsc0181edit.jpg

The rarely seen Rusty Goby who, thankfully, makes his home near the right side of my 40 where I can see him.

dsc0152edit.jpg

Some new Zoas I bought from a local reefer along with the Chili Pepper monti.

dsc0179edita.jpg

This is a large Montipora of some type, bought from a LFS. Came with a bad crab that was nice enough to show himself so I could remove him.

dsc0125edit.jpg

These were darker red when I first got them.

dsc0168edit.jpg

This brain was a hitchhiker on live rock added 8 months ago to the 40B. It was a tiny spec that's grown to this size in those 8 months. Any ID on species would be much appreciated. I'm guessing a Favia of some sort.

img20130526104847.jpg

Thanks for looking!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks very nice buddy!

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few belated updates. Working through a caulpera outbreak due to some nutrient issues. These pics taken soon after a peroxide treatment (rocks out, treated, replaced).

g4qx.jpg

eoy7.jpg

5gmi.jpg

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a long while so I'll post a couple of updated pics.

The 40 gallon, 2.5 years old and just now growing some new acros ... except for the slimer, which has continued to grow nonstop for over a year now.

The 46, which is a little over a year old now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got tired of the out of control birdsnest on the right so I removed it, scattering pieces to my other tanks. Maxspect Razor is dimming down for the evening so these colors are a little intense.

Under the mess of birdsnest was bubble algae, a ton of dirt, and red turf algae, the Tangs favorite meal.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really digging this 40 you have. I really hope to have my 40 at least resemble it one day

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures of my 46. This tank is the bane of my existence. The bowfront makes it impossible to get good clear closeups so naturally everything in here colors up well.

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Playing around with my new macro lens I took some pics of some frags I moved into my 29 gallon. Yea, 3 tanks ... I can quit any time I want!

My 29 gallon

With my old eyes, from a distance, this is a nice purple with dark skin, but up close this thing looks fantastic.

A new Pink Poci with green showing on the polyps.

Mushroom rock with a few assorted shrooms.

Blenny :)

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 40 is getting difficult to take pics of due to lights from the other tanks and reflection off the back door. Anyway, here's the latest. I'm pleased with how things are going. Feeding two pinches of reef roids every evening and a cap of Acro Power around 4PM when I get home.

I now have my Razor ramping up to 100% blue and white at 5PM where it stays for about 15 minutes before slowly ramping back down for the evening. Total white light time around 8 hours. My random frags are starting to color up and a couple of them look really unique. The frags from Unique Corals have held their color but are still settling in.

I've managed to hold KH between 7.7 and 8.1 over a week while Calcium has stayed fairly steady around 420.

Last edited:
OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't updated this thread in forever. :) I combined my 40 and 46 into a 150.

AdLWpt.jpg

Still a work in progress. I'll start a new thread when I have some time.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't updated this thread in forever. :) I combined my 40 and 46 into a 150.

AdLWpt.jpg

Still a work in progress. I'll start a new thread when I have some time.

That's a beauty Mark! Found this thread while looking around! You still got it going?

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a beauty Mark! Found this thread while looking around! You still got it going?

Howdy,

yep, still on the SPS learning curve but it's going.

pbh4idL.jpg

This was probably when it looked the best but those seafoam pallys gotout of control and I believe started to pollute the water because I kept having odd issues with SPS while params were steady. The slimer grew just a bit, and the blue stag, wow, really lucked out with that one.

It now looks like this, in the middle of slowly eliminating all of the pallys.
sDWXrMt.jpg

I did start a new thread here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/marks-150-gallon-sps-heavy-reef.199807

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 131 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back