maroalgae tank

Greengirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to grow macroalgae (Caulerpa prolifera and Halimeda), with no fish, corals or large invertebrates. Initially they did GREAT (for a month or more) but now all tanks are going through a stagnant period and being covered by fuzz (brown algae, red algae or hair algae?). While 2 tanks were possibly too crowded with plants, one tank has hardly any. At best they send out runners but no frond growth. I could test every available micronutrient, but since things don't seem to pickup when I change water I can't picture how lack of a nutrient or toxic concentration of some metabolite could be the perp. These are not supposed to be finicky plants. What could be the problem??
My conditions: I've been using instant ocean and have either a bubbler or pump (3 different tanks) and some lights on a 12/12 cycle. I've had live rock in there (for well over 2 months in some of the tanks) and tested chemistry for pH (~ 8.2) and presence of nitrates, nitrites and ammonia (all zero). I replace ~ half the tank water with fresh IO every 2 weeks and am using an ultrapure water source for 2 of the tanks (i.e. not tap water) and using PUR filtered tap water for another which is behaving similarly. I'm especially concerned because the asterina seem to have died which is pretty tricky to do I hear. The Halimeda tank had more hitchhikers...an Elysia tuca, some aiptasia, some tube worm, and some unidentifiables which seem to be OK up until now but I think are starting to look stressed (hard to tell).

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to grow macroalgae (Caulerpa prolifera and Halimeda), with no fish, corals or large invertebrates. Initially they did GREAT (for a month or more) but now all tanks are going through a stagnant period and being covered by fuzz (brown algae, red algae or hair algae?). While 2 tanks were possibly too crowded with plants, one tank has hardly any. At best they send out runners but no frond growth. I could test every available micronutrient, but since things don't seem to pickup when I change water I can't picture how lack of a nutrient or toxic concentration of some metabolite could be the perp. These are not supposed to be finicky plants. What could be the problem??
My conditions: I've been using instant ocean and have either a bubbler or pump (3 different tanks) and some lights on a 12/12 cycle. I've had live rock in there (for well over 2 months in some of the tanks) and tested chemistry for pH (~ 8.2) and presence of nitrates, nitrites and ammonia (all zero). I replace ~ half the tank water with fresh IO every 2 weeks and am using an ultrapure water source for 2 of the tanks (i.e. not tap water) and using PUR filtered tap water for another which is behaving similarly. I'm especially concerned because the asterina seem to have died which is pretty tricky to do I hear. The Halimeda tank had more hitchhikers...an Elysia tuca, some aiptasia, some tube worm, and some unidentifiables which seem to be OK up until now but I think are starting to look stressed (hard to tell).
...presence of nitrates, nitrites and ammonia (all zero)

This sounds like your problem. No nitrates (and assuming no phosphates)...what are your algaes going to eat? Is it possible that your lack of nutrients is the start of the dreaded dino's scourge?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Greengirl

Greengirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...presence of nitrates, nitrites and ammonia (all zero)

This sounds like your problem. No nitrates (and assuming no phosphates)...what are your algaes going to eat? Is it possible that your lack of nutrients is the start of the dreaded dino's scourge?
I thought that with all the detritus there would be plenty of "nutrients" added to the IO? I even put fish flakes at one point but that just seemed to make the brown/red algaes bloom more.

Upvote 0

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that with all the detritus there would be plenty of "nutrients" added to the IO? I even put fish flakes at one point but that just seemed to make the brown/red algaes bloom more.
If you measured nitrates and they come back at zero..it says to me that your macro algaes are consuming the fertilizer faster than the detritus can create them. If by feeding your tank, you are instantly getting brown and red algaes..it sounds like your take is fertilizer starved and the red and browns are out competing everything else..which is bad.

Obviously, I dont know your issue...but my suggestion..start slowly raising your nitrates and phosphates off of the zero levels. I would also be using some bacteria in a bottle (Microbacter7) so that your good bacteria can replenish.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need an ongoing addition source of N, P, and many trace elements, including iron, manganese, vanadium, etc.

Are you feeding fish in this tank?

You mention detritus. Where is it coming from?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Greengirl

Greengirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you measured nitrates and they come back at zero..it says to me that your macro algaes are consuming the fertilizer faster than the detritus can create them. If by feeding your tank, you are instantly getting brown and red algaes..it sounds like your take is fertilizer starved and the red and browns are out competing everything else..which is bad.

Obviously, I dont know your issue...but my suggestion..start slowly raising your nitrates and phosphates off of the zero levels. I would also be using some bacteria in a bottle (Microbacter7) so that your good bacteria can replenish.
thanks...will try something like that!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Greengirl

Greengirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need an ongoing addition source of N, P, and many trace elements, including iron, manganese, vanadium, etc.

Are you feeding fish in this tank?

You mention detritus. Where is it coming from?
No...there are no fish. The detritus is dead macroalgae and red/brown algae.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No...there are no fish. The detritus is dead macroalgae and red/brown algae.

That cannot be an ongoing source then. I’d add something that eats fish foods, or else look to dose these needed nutrients.

Upvote 0

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of dosing trisodium phosphate and sodium nitrate. My macro algaes do a great job of stripping out the phosphates and nitrates. Now that my levels are zero..i can actually control the level of phosphates and nitrates by slowly adding them back in. Been working with this for over a year and my nuturients have been very stable since.

Upvote 0

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae needs nitrate, phosphate and trace elements. Your situation is analogous to growing a plant in sand.

Upvote 0

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all the trace elements, I have had great success with cheatogro. It's great for all macros (and was suggested by tigaboy who does great macro work).

Otherwise, the plants still need nutrients and you need to bump those numbers up! You'll see them come back quickly :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Greengirl

Greengirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right you all were!! Been doping with ammonia and phosphate and it's all growing back. Now my biggest problem is avoiding the blooms of green and red microalgae/plankton. But the Caulerpa looks good.

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back