OP
OP
Michael Lane

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plug for daisy chaining depends on how you want to the interface to the outside of the fixture. I've used Cat5 (but hate cutting square holes), and recently switched to 3 pin mini-xlr (like these). They are fairly small connectors, and mount into a circular hole. A few seconds with a step bit and it's ready to go!

Inside the light is 3 pin JST-XH connectors on the adapter. I connect that to the 3 pin mini-xlr. I made a cable to chain between each light and to the reef-pi. The connectors add up, and it's a lot of work to solder them all together, but I think it looks slick, and the connectors can only plug in one way. Plus they are a locking connector, so it doesn't jostle or vibrate loose.

The last goby hat and ph modules were shipped over the weekend. I've had an issue ordering parts to build another batch, but I hope to have that sorted by this weekend.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The plug for daisy chaining depends on how you want to the interface to the outside of the fixture. I've used Cat5 (but hate cutting square holes), and recently switched to 3 pin mini-xlr (like these). They are fairly small connectors, and mount into a circular hole. A few seconds with a step bit and it's ready to go!

Inside the light is 3 pin JST-XH connectors on the adapter. I connect that to the 3 pin mini-xlr. I made a cable to chain between each light and to the reef-pi. The connectors add up, and it's a lot of work to solder them all together, but I think it looks slick, and the connectors can only plug in one way. Plus they are a locking connector, so it doesn't jostle or vibrate loose.

The last goby hat and ph modules were shipped over the weekend. I've had an issue ordering parts to build another batch, but I hope to have that sorted by this weekend.

You ain't kidding about cutting square holes. Really wishing I had gone with something like an x8 aviation connector.

OP
OP
Michael Lane

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think you'll have more pH boards and hats before Christmas?

It would be awesome if you could post a few pics of your setup for the lights.
I'd like to have some more boards ready soon. It seems like there's a shortage of the ADM3260 right now, so I'm hoping to wait until my normal supplier has them back in stock.

Which parts of my light set up are you interested in? I can pull a light or 2 down this weekend and get some specific pictures.

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to have some more boards ready soon. It seems like there's a shortage of the ADM3260 right now, so I'm hoping to wait until my normal supplier has them back in stock.

Which parts of my light set up are you interested in? I can pull a light or 2 down this weekend and get some specific pictures.

I'd love to see how you're wiring the daisy-chain. I think I get it all from the text, but it's so much easier to know for sure when seeing the actual results.

OP
OP
Michael Lane

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures of my set up.

IMG_20191213_121035.jpg

Inside the light. The drivers are connected to the adapter board instead of old knobs. The mini-xlr connectors are connected to the 3 pin connectors.
IMG_20191213_120823.jpg

Here's the same light in its home.
IMG_20191213_115936.jpg

A bunch more over the main tank
IMG_20191213_120205.jpg

drbogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the SB Reef Lights, the ON/Off wire is reversed compared to the Mars aqua & pwm converter.

Ground = ON.
+12V = OFF.

So I wired it up to a NPN transistor, with a pullup resistor to turn the unit off when the pin is floating. (Unit defaults to on when the ON/OFF pin is floating)

Maybe on your next revision of these boards, add a jumper to choose between 12 = ON vs GND = ON.

That way it can be used with SB Reef Lights without adding extra circuitry.

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the SB Reef Lights, the ON/Off wire is reversed compared to the Mars aqua & pwm converter.

Ground = ON.
+12V = OFF.

So I wired it up to a NPN transistor, with a pullup resistor to turn the unit off when the pin is floating. (Unit defaults to on when the ON/OFF pin is floating)

Maybe on your next revision of these boards, add a jumper to choose between 12 = ON vs GND = ON.

Can you please help me out and show a photo or a diagram?
I am currently lost and wat to control my SB’s with the ML board.
Thank you for your time!

drbogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please help me out and show a photo or a diagram?
I am currently lost and wat to control my SB’s with the ML board.
Thank you for your time!

I can show you a diagram tomorrow.

Oh, and another thing, the 12v power in on the potentiometer board coming from the small 12v power supply is wired backwards. The black wire is positive (+) and the red wire is negative (-).

This must be wired backwards in order to work correctly. (I've triple checked this as I thought it was really odd).

OP
OP
Michael Lane

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ground = ON.
+12V = OFF.

Thanks for sharing. I picked up a Viparspectra light and am planning to modify the board to work with those next.

Did you get any pictures of your light wired up? The comment about +12v and GND sounds unusual. I'm also curious if the connectors is a 4 pin JST-XH with the colors backwards.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing. I picked up a Viparspectra light and am planning to modify the board to work with those next.

Did you get any pictures of your light wired up? The comment about +12v and GND sounds unusual. I'm also curious if the connectors is a 4 pin JST-XH with the colors backwards.

Looking forward to what you come up with for the viparspectras.

drbogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The JST-XH connect is only 3-pins. It does not have the V+ line. Instead, it gets the 12v power from a separate power supply that also powers the fans.

Here are a few pics of what I'm talking about.

20200304_223423.jpg 20200304_223452.jpg 20200304_223610.jpg

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The JST-XH connect is only 3-pins. It does not have the V+ line. Instead, it gets the 12v power from a separate power supply that also powers the fans.

Here are a few pics of what I'm talking about.

20200304_223423.jpg 20200304_223452.jpg 20200304_223610.jpg
Do you have the connection to the ML Reefkeeping board photos?
I will disassemble on Friday night to modify mine and hope to get it on my ReefPi..... 3rd times a charm, right?

drbogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the connection to the ML Reefkeeping board photos?
I will disassemble on Friday night to modify mine and hope to get it on my ReefPi..... 3rd times a charm, right?

Not yet, as I designed an adapter PCB and I'm waiting for them to arrive.
If you can wait a few weeks, I can sell you a few adapter boards. it'll keep the wiring cleaner. And it'll make the Mars Aqua board plug and play.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just added a Viparspectra 300w to my Amazon wish list awaiting @Michael Lane to confirm his magic :D
I only have a 165w over my 65g currently, I am sure the extra coverage will help.

Good Luck guys

Yeah I have my viparspectras hooked up to Reef pi but looking for a cleaner more compact solution. Dim all the way to 1% without flicker, so the drivers seem to do better than some other black boxes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back