Mastertronic regularly overfilling reaction chamber (and some other issues)

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I'll start by saying I upgraded the firmware when I got the new magnet stirrer from them. I don't remember if this problem started before or after that. I'm currently on V01.05.74/FW01.04.11.

Over the last few weeks, I've had my reaction vial overflow and set off the leak detector a number of times. Every time I check on it, I see the reaction chamber filled to the very top and usually (always?) containing reagent. In other words, it's not a traditional 'leak' or a fluke that caused water to end up on the sensor, it's filling vial that already has something in it. (And as I'm typing this, I'm realizing the last time it happened it was testing nitrate and since the FW download was supposed to address the nitrate test, I'm guessing it's all related.)

I'm curious if anyone else has had that happen. But more importantly that that one issue, "leaks" aren't entirely uncommon with this machine and I feel like, in addition to fixing those problems, they also need to fix how it recovers from the leak sensor being tripped.

-We've all seen how unresponsive it becomes. While I understand that the testing should be halted, it would be really nice if we had some manual control in the mean time. Trying to get in there to clean things up can be difficult if the needle is in the way. Being able to manually run drain pumps would be nice as well.

-There should be something coded into their software that locks out any given fill pump if the corresponding drain pump hasn't been run (or the software is unsure) since the last time the fill pump was run. That is, prevent fill pump from filling a vial twice in a row. It seems to me that would be a good way to prevent a lot of these problems. The majority of the 'leaks' are something overflowing.

-If you pull the power during a test (or while it's overflowing) part of it's recovery process is to drain the vials and hoses. But when the first thing it does is run the stepper motor backwards to empty the hose, it's drawing in all the reagent too. It's not fun seeing a slug of brightly colored water getting pumped down the hose towards the tank.

And, while I'm here, is there a way to change the notifications? I really don't need notifications every time it loses or reconnects to the internet. I don't need a notification at 2 am that I need to refill a vial, nor do I need those empty vial reminders throughout the day. I do, however, really like the notifications for results, so I don't want to shut them off entirely. Also, I really don't like the way that having a vial getting low or a syringe or pump that's due for calibration, overrides the test result notification. That is, I know it's running a test, I hear the test finishing up, my phone beeps, I pick it up and see a notification that, instead of saying 'Alkalinity 8.5' it says 'please refill vial 3'.
My workaround for that is to go into the app and add just enough to the vial to stop the notifications. That way I can not only get my results, but I also don't get random notifications about it until I have time to get to buy more reagent.

Lastly, to be clear, I really like this machine and it's doing a good job, but there's still a lot of changes I think need to be made. Most (but not all) of the changes I'd like to see should be able to be done via firmware updates, so hopefully we'll see some of those improvements along the way.

DEGREGORIIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe better to post that on their Facebook support page or send them an email. Because they do not read these threads. Waste of time...

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back