Mastertronic regularly overfilling reaction chamber (and some other issues)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Joe31415
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 25, 2020
Messages
1,229
Reaction score
901
Location
Milwaukee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I'll start by saying I upgraded the firmware when I got the new magnet stirrer from them. I don't remember if this problem started before or after that. I'm currently on V01.05.74/FW01.04.11.

Over the last few weeks, I've had my reaction vial overflow and set off the leak detector a number of times. Every time I check on it, I see the reaction chamber filled to the very top and usually (always?) containing reagent. In other words, it's not a traditional 'leak' or a fluke that caused water to end up on the sensor, it's filling vial that already has something in it. (And as I'm typing this, I'm realizing the last time it happened it was testing nitrate and since the FW download was supposed to address the nitrate test, I'm guessing it's all related.)

I'm curious if anyone else has had that happen. But more importantly that that one issue, "leaks" aren't entirely uncommon with this machine and I feel like, in addition to fixing those problems, they also need to fix how it recovers from the leak sensor being tripped.

-We've all seen how unresponsive it becomes. While I understand that the testing should be halted, it would be really nice if we had some manual control in the mean time. Trying to get in there to clean things up can be difficult if the needle is in the way. Being able to manually run drain pumps would be nice as well.

-There should be something coded into their software that locks out any given fill pump if the corresponding drain pump hasn't been run (or the software is unsure) since the last time the fill pump was run. That is, prevent fill pump from filling a vial twice in a row. It seems to me that would be a good way to prevent a lot of these problems. The majority of the 'leaks' are something overflowing.

-If you pull the power during a test (or while it's overflowing) part of it's recovery process is to drain the vials and hoses. But when the first thing it does is run the stepper motor backwards to empty the hose, it's drawing in all the reagent too. It's not fun seeing a slug of brightly colored water getting pumped down the hose towards the tank.


And, while I'm here, is there a way to change the notifications? I really don't need notifications every time it loses or reconnects to the internet. I don't need a notification at 2 am that I need to refill a vial, nor do I need those empty vial reminders throughout the day. I do, however, really like the notifications for results, so I don't want to shut them off entirely. Also, I really don't like the way that having a vial getting low or a syringe or pump that's due for calibration, overrides the test result notification. That is, I know it's running a test, I hear the test finishing up, my phone beeps, I pick it up and see a notification that, instead of saying 'Alkalinity 8.5' it says 'please refill vial 3'.
My workaround for that is to go into the app and add just enough to the vial to stop the notifications. That way I can not only get my results, but I also don't get random notifications about it until I have time to get to buy more reagent.

Lastly, to be clear, I really like this machine and it's doing a good job, but there's still a lot of changes I think need to be made. Most (but not all) of the changes I'd like to see should be able to be done via firmware updates, so hopefully we'll see some of those improvements along the way.
 
Maybe better to post that on their Facebook support page or send them an email. Because they do not read these threads. Waste of time...
 
Bumping this old thread because I finally got sick of the Mastertronic. Like I said in the OP, I really did like it and really wanted it to work, but it's just not ready for prime time. I've actually exchanged quite a few emails with them, specifically Eric, since I've had this machine. He's always replied very quickly and always seemed very eager to help. He even sent me spare needles a handful of times. But the problems I've brought up with him, and here, that I've been having for a long time, I still have. I still have problems with the until over filling the reaction vial. I still have problems with it emptying the overfilled reaction vial incorrectly and pumping dirty, reagent filled water back into the tank. I still have problems with rust. I still have problems with the shear number of notifications it sends out. I still have problems with it simply not sending out notifications for a few days at a time. I still have problems with all kinds of other things and I've discussed my problems with them a number of times.

TLDR, a few days ago I finally decided the latest incident, which including poking myself on a needle, that I was done. Again, I really did like this machine, but all these problems were beginning to stack up and it didn't seem like they were actually doing anything about anything. Many of these could've been dealt with via a firmware or app update. Anyways, here's some post mortem pictures.

Here's the bearing the carousel rides on. The bearing still rotates freely, but you can the rust is going to get in there sooner or later:
1731071536228.jpeg


This is the rusty rail that the moves the syringe up and down:
1731071606621.jpeg


Rust on the USB port on the motherboard
1731071647483.jpeg



This is the rail that the syringe moves left and right on. They told me to spray some WD-40 on it. Even with this picture, they didn't seem to get that we're way beyond the 'preventing rust' phase here.
1731071724545.jpeg



Aluminum oxide/rust powder from all the aluminum parts. Namely the hexagonal struts that run from the front to the back to the case some rigidity. This powder was on everything
1731071807025.jpeg

1731071814989.jpeg

1731071840247.jpeg

1731071854891.jpeg
 
I think a fan would've helped this. A small, quiet (ie Noctua) fan, running 24/7* drawing in fresh, dry air and pushing the humidity out, I think, would've made a difference. I assume most of this was due to humidity within the unit as residual water evaporated. It wasn't in the same room as the tank. I think how tightly it's sealed up was it's downfall. It may have helped keep humid air from the tank out, but it kept water that evaporated out of the vials, in. I think a fan would've helped quite a bit with the rust issue. At least in my case where they ambient air was much dryer (apparently). I suppose if you had this in a very humid area, a fan could make things worse.

PS, I did get a free (not generic) Raspberry Pi Zero out of it, so there's that.

*or however long it takes for the vials to dry. A day maybe?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new