Material for false wall in AIO tank

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to build a AIO tank with a 20g long with a false wall. My question is what besides black acrylic can be used for this? I know you could do glass painted with krylon fusion to make black but I have read mixed reviews. Some say its reef safe and others say over time is not.

Any input and help on meterials that are 100% reef safe would be a great help.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I have a JBJ 45 Gallon AIO that I added a sump to but now I'm going to be removing my false wall

I think that as long as you divide it like the AIO's have you shouldn't have a problem

OP
OP
JCSReefing

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, i know how to build the design. the issue im having is finding a reef safe material for the false wall. i know black acrylic is safe but doesn't always bond to glass with silicone and looking for something a bit cheeper. has to be thick enough and 16"x16" or so, so i can cut it down to size needed with a wet saw.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but the AIO tanks all use silicone. I bought my tank because it was a good price then now things are cheaper so im going to go full open tank I already have a overflow and a sump
Good Luck

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, i know how to build the design. the issue im having is finding a reef safe material for the false wall. i know black acrylic is safe but doesn't always bond to glass with silicone and looking for something a bit cheeper. has to be thick enough and 16"x16" or so, so i can cut it down to size needed with a wet saw.

Enduro board is a product I have used recently. Textured surface with anthricite color. Send me a PM and I can cut you a piece and mail it to you. Acrylic always works or find a glass shop that does stained glass and look at some of the cool colors and patterns that are available.

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could do two pieces of thin glass, painting one side of one of the glass pane, sandwich them together, paint in the middle, and seal it with reef safe silicon and place it in there.

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that'd be pretty cool looking and because it is plastic, should be easy to work with as far as cutting and putting in slits, if that is what you're planning.

what about this one here, also on target. but a cool green color and a little less thick.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 68 46.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back