Maths - Water Changes and Trace Elements

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted some help with the Maths to understand how Water Changes replace (to some extent) Trace Elements. I know that a Water Change can help restore Foundation and Trace Elements that are depleted. I have 2x 4 Way Doser Units and plan to eventually have Foundation and Trace Elements all dosed. I don't need to be convinced of the need to add Trace Elements, especially if the replacement is linked to monitoring them and only replacing what is lost. More help with the Maths...

With the Maths I understand that a Water Change can help with high levels e.g. high levels of Nitrate can be lowered. I also appreciate that a 10% Water Change isn't going to make too much of a difference e.g. 90% of the "problem" remains in the Tank. Also the Maths that two 10% Water Changes is less than 20% changed. My own Water Changes are far from perfect because I add Water before removing the same Volume.

It has been said before that replacing Trace Elements using only Water Changes doesn't work long term. I understand that if Foundation Elements are being used up the dosing of the correct amounts to restore the levels is best achieved with Dosing. Similarly for Trace Elements, smaller volumes but the same concept. The second thing I hear is that Trace Elements are often replaced via Food we feed our Fish and so may not be quite as essential to be added.

Where the Maths seems to fall down (for me) is long term depletion. If my Weekly Water Change is 10% then I will have added Foundation and Trace Elements equivalent to the System Volume after 10 weeks and replaced the Water 5x over a year. I do understand that each Water Change removes some of the previously added Water, but even so, providing I keep up with regular Water Changes, I can't imagine that there isn't enough turnover to ensure that it isn't a long term problem. Although there are reports of "Tank Crashes", I can't imagine this is down to only the failure to keep on top of Trace Elements - the most obvious being the belief that Water Changes are not required - until such times as it does go wrong.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted some help with the Maths to understand how Water Changes replace (to some extent) Trace Elements. I know that a Water Change can help restore Foundation and Trace Elements that are depleted. I have 2x 4 Way Doser Units and plan to eventually have Foundation and Trace Elements all dosed. I don't need to be convinced of the need to add Trace Elements, especially if the replacement is linked to monitoring them and only replacing what is lost. More help with the Maths...

With the Maths I understand that a Water Change can help with high levels e.g. high levels of Nitrate can be lowered. I also appreciate that a 10% Water Change isn't going to make too much of a difference e.g. 90% of the "problem" remains in the Tank. Also the Maths that two 10% Water Changes is less than 20% changed. My own Water Changes are far from perfect because I add Water before removing the same Volume.

It has been said before that replacing Trace Elements using only Water Changes doesn't work long term. I understand that if Foundation Elements are being used up the dosing of the correct amounts to restore the levels is best achieved with Dosing. Similarly for Trace Elements, smaller volumes but the same concept. The second thing I hear is that Trace Elements are often replaced via Food we feed our Fish and so may not be quite as essential to be added.

Where the Maths seems to fall down (for me) is long term depletion. If my Weekly Water Change is 10% then I will have added Foundation and Trace Elements equivalent to the System Volume after 10 weeks and replaced the Water 5x over a year. I do understand that each Water Change removes some of the previously added Water, but even so, providing I keep up with regular Water Changes, I can't imagine that there isn't enough turnover to ensure that it isn't a long term problem. Although there are reports of "Tank Crashes", I can't imagine this is down to only the failure to keep on top of Trace Elements - the most obvious being the belief that Water Changes are not required - until such times as it does go wrong.
It all depends on how established your tank is, and how many nutrient absorbing corals are in it. If your tank is just full of new frags, you can wait a year or two, depending on coral type, before you have to worry about trace elements.

Regular water changes will replace the trace elements, so long as you do them weekly, in an established tank. People dose trace elements because they have a large tank, don't want to change the water, or both.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flawed assumptions in the statement that water changes do not maintain trace elements are:

1. Foods are likely a bigger source for some than water changes.

2. There’s little to no info available on what levels of trace elements are actually needed in any particular chemical form for any particular organism.

3. Many people do not know what trace element levels are present in the salt water they are using.

4. The rate of decline (if any) of many trace elements will vary from tank to tank and is often unknown to the reef keeper.

Water change math is generally easy, it’s the other complications that make it generally a not useful calculation

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back