Matt v acros

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems similar to what Jason Fox was for years when we started, just renames pieces from other people typically. Anyone have a corals of his that doesn't look just like another coral or ten?

I think it's comical that people are still paying big premiums for these A. tenuis when they grow fast and are pretty common. Seems to be largely attributed to people doctoring photos and using orange filters more than anything. Pretty corals, but they're not uncommon.

OP
OP
Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my Matt V Pscycho Asylum from Mythical corals as well.
396C08DE-27C4-4375-98AF-0A9926FF32EC.jpeg
Hi. I checked out mythical corals website. They have a nice collection. But I don’t see anything listed for sale.

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I checked out mythical corals website. They have a nice collection. But I don’t see anything listed for sale.
Did you send them a message to see what they could do for you? Also you can reach out directly to Matt via stumptown corals and he could put something together for ya

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems similar to what Jason Fox was for years when we started, just renames pieces from other people typically. Anyone have a corals of his that doesn't look just like another coral or ten?

I think it's comical that people are still paying big premiums for these A. tenuis when they grow fast and are pretty common. Seems to be largely attributed to people doctoring photos and using orange filters more than anything. Pretty corals, but they're not uncommon.

I am with you on that one. They are pretty but there are only a few variants and how many names tenuis pieces out there? Close to a hundred?
The funny thing is normal green and purple/blue tip tenuis used to be so common no one even wanted frags around here. Now they are a special coral to a lot of people. I wish things went back to how it was when people called things by color and type. Back then people held things like growth form, speed of growth, color and literal rarity as things that make a coral special. Now it’s all about colors you really only see with filters and tiny variations in color between each coral are what make them special.
I really don’t like it when people get their name by renaming other peoples finds. And guess what, a lot of people did it this way. A lot of guys were big before they even ordered their first box of wild corals. I remember when cornbread was just starting in the hobby and was renaming all these pieces and doctoring up photos. He was talked about by all the newbies like he had been around and really he just started in the hobby. The worst part about all this change is the micro fragments that people are selling. This has also become normal.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with you on that one. They are pretty but there are only a few variants and how many names tenuis pieces out there? Close to a hundred?
The funny thing is normal green and purple/blue tip tenuis used to be so common no one even wanted frags around here. Now they are a special coral to a lot of people. I wish things went back to how it was when people called things by color and type. Back then people held things like growth form, speed of growth, color and literal rarity as things that make a coral special. Now it’s all about colors you really only see with filters and tiny variations in color between each coral are what make them special.
I really don’t like it when people get their name by renaming other peoples finds. And guess what, a lot of people did it this way. A lot of guys were big before they even ordered their first box of wild corals. I remember when cornbread was just starting in the hobby and was renaming all these pieces and doctoring up photos. He was talked about by all the newbies like he had been around and really he just started in the hobby. The worst part about all this change is the micro fragments that people are selling. This has also become normal.

Yeah, I have a LFS that is now doing some nubs of stuff... Perhaps mainly because the growth is stunted on their acropora for some reason. I want to buy some of the corals from them and support them, but they're doing tiny frags that aren't colored up fully (neither are their colonies) and they're asking pretty high prices.

I used to sell these for $30-$40 locally for big multi branch frags... They were originally frags of browned out wild colonies. Some pieces even got the bucket of bleach because I was out of space and didn't have time to sell corals. This was with pretty white light and no doctoring... People need to wake up!

020.JPG Reef Shots 085.JPG

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get the corals that excite you! As a hardcore SPS collector for well over a decade, I have been impressed with the MattV corals I obtained over the years. I have the MattV Optimus Prime; MattV Orange Envy; MattV Rainbow Envy; MattV Psycho Asylum and the MattV Peter Pan. My pictures were photographed under daylight halides only. Some photographs older than others. The only slow growers for me are the MattV Optimis Prime & Psycho Asylum.

MattV Optimus Prime

1566688911635.png

MattV Rainbow Envy

1566691485077.png

MattV Orange Envy
1566689822009.png

MattV Peter Pan
1566689155891.png

Last edited:

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the corals that excite you! As a hardcore SPS collector for well over a decade, I have been impressed with the MattV corals I obtained over the years. I have the MattV Optimus Prime; MattV Orange Envy; MattV Rainbow Envy; MattV Psycho Asylum and the MattV Peter Pan. My pictures were photographed under daylight halides only. Some photographs older than others. The only slow growers for me are the MattV Optimis Prime & Psycho Asylum.

MattV Optimus Prime

1566688911635.png

MattV Rainbow Envy

MattV Orange Envy

1566689822009.png

MattV Peter Pan
1566689155891.png
My psycho asylum is the fastest grower in my tank.

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My Pyscho Asylum didn't arrive well for me so it took a while to recover. Its starting to take off now. Its been in my grow-out tank since 3/2018. The MattV Optimus Prime is definitely a slow grower for me. It is probably one of the rarest corals in my collection too.

My psycho asylum is the fastest grower in my tank.

Last edited:

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pyscho Asylum didn't arrive well for me so it took a while to recover. Its starting to take off now. Its been in my grow-out tank since 3/2018. The MattV Optimus Prime is definitely a slow grower for me. It is probably one of the rarest coral in my collection too.
Would you be able to post a picture of your psycho asylum? I would love to see it! Your corals are amazing!

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pyscho Asylum didn't arrive well for me so it took a while to recover. Its starting to take off now. Its been in my grow-out tank since 3/2018. The MattV Optimus Prime is definitely a slow grower for me. It is probably one of the rarest coral in my collection too.
Dec 27th 2018
94359869-D36A-4484-9997-B249F6C97E64.jpeg

Last week
101E04AE-52BB-4BE1-AEA1-28FD0A746386.jpeg

OP
OP
Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How has the Rainbow Envy been for you? Ive heard its a slow grower

MattV Optimus Prime

1566688911635.png

MattV Rainbow Envy

1566691485077.png

MattV Orange Envy
1566689822009.png

MattV Peter Pan
1566689155891.png
im trying to find some. Now that I am confident I won’t kill sps I’m ready to get into the more high end pieces.

OP
OP
Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MattV Optimus Prime

1566688911635.png

MattV Rainbow Envy

1566691485077.png

MattV Orange Envy
1566689822009.png

MattV Peter Pan
1566689155891.png
Where did you get your frags from?

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im trying to find some. Now that I am confident I won’t kill sps I’m ready to get into the more high end pieces.
Are you not interested in getting them through mythical anymore? Or through Matt himself? Sounds like AV99 has a bunch too, should be able to get what your looking for through those avenues

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MattV Optimus Prime

1566688911635.png

MattV Rainbow Envy

1566691485077.png

MattV Orange Envy
1566689822009.png

MattV Peter Pan
1566689155891.png

Great pictures and thanks for the daylight pics.
The top pic looks nice but I can’t tell the difference between any of the other ones, they look like the green and blue tip tenuis that have been around since the beginning. i am guessing some of them get orange in the polyps over time?

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search on R2R fo the name(s) of the corals you’d like to add eventually. You’ll find sellers on here who have fragged their pieces in the past and PM them to see when they’re next doing so, they might even cut you a piece fo theirs.

I do this and have landed a few nice ones recently. My MattV Rainbow Envy was purchased just last month from @Blinkdo he sent me a chunky *ss frag

OP
OP
Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you not interested in getting them through mythical anymore? Or through Matt himself? Sounds like AV99 has a bunch too, should be able to get what your looking for through those avenues
I emailed mythical corals already. Waiting for reply. Stumptown will send me some pictures next week. He said he sold a lot of his frags last week at rap.

OP
OP
Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MattV Optimus Prime

1566688911635.png

MattV Rainbow Envy

1566691485077.png

MattV Orange Envy
1566689822009.png

MattV Peter Pan
1566689155891.png
Are you able to sell me some
Frags?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back