Matt's 40 Gal. Reef tank (New Build)

matthew.forsyth01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Established 3/10/2021

Day 3 figured it get on here ask some questions TBH im struggling right now with parameters.. but at least my babies still look healthy

Last edited:

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Established 3/10/2021

Day 3 figured it get on here ask some questions TBH im struggling right now with parameters.. but at least my babies still look healthy

Welcome! How are you making your saltwater? Are you using something to jump start your cycle? Your nitrates at 40 indicate overdue for water change, but you are 3 days in. Your ammonia is at 8, so can't figure out how your nitrates are so high with ammonia not leveling. Hoping your "babies" are rocks because high ammonia is toxic to everything. Natural cycle seems unlikely UNLESS you are using tap water to make your saltwater and if so STOP. Those numbers may be indicator your water right from tap isn't suitable for saltwater without treatment. LFS sell RO water, or you can get your own reverse osmosis kit and attach to tap. Need more info and specifics about what other feedback you are seeking.

OP
OP
matthew.forsyth01

matthew.forsyth01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! How are you making your saltwater? Are you using something to jump start your cycle? Your nitrates at 40 indicate overdue for water change, but you are 3 days in. Your ammonia is at 8, so can't figure out how your nitrates are so high with ammonia not leveling. Hoping your "babies" are rocks because high ammonia is toxic to everything. Natural cycle seems unlikely UNLESS you are using tap water to make your saltwater and if so STOP. Those numbers may be indicator your water right from tap isn't suitable for saltwater without treatment. LFS sell RO water, or you can get your own reverse osmosis kit and attach to tap. Need more info and specifics about what other feedback you are seeking.

Hey I have a thread with alot more details about it I am using Tap water was told I didnt need RODI at a box store when i asked most of my questions when i bought my tank so when i went to my lfs didnt think to ask bought the kit and a bunch of the other stuff at the lfs got home let is start to cycle for a day then added quickstart and ammolock then added the clowns box store said i would be okay doing this wasnt right minded enough to double check with lfs
would you have any suggestions for a RODI system are some better than others? sorry for the questions and lack of answers any advice helps at this point I'm expecting my 2 baby clowns to die becuase of the water... but they do seem fairly healthy currently swimming around alot eating when i feed them etc is there a way to salvage the current water or am i gonna have to start over?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some seachem prime to detoxify the ammonia and just be patient for cycle to finish , also do a water change but yea tap water is very bad for reef tanks you have no idea what it is putting into yr tank, I had to use it in an emergency but that’s the only time I would use tap and it also caused a bacterial bloom (cloudy water)

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have a thread with alot more details about it I am using Tap water was told I didnt need RODI at a box store when i asked most of my questions when i bought my tank so when i went to my lfs didnt think to ask bought the kit and a bunch of the other stuff at the lfs got home let is start to cycle for a day then added quickstart and ammolock then added the clowns box store said i would be okay doing this wasnt right minded enough to double check with lfs
would you have any suggestions for a RODI system are some better than others? sorry for the questions and lack of answers any advice helps at this point I'm expecting my 2 baby clowns to die becuase of the water... but they do seem fairly healthy currently swimming around alot eating when i feed them etc is there a way to salvage the current water or am i gonna have to start over?

Just a water change (or two) once your get your RO system - we're chatting now in other thread so details there about mine: https://www.melevsreef.com/product/100gpd-5-stage-rodi-system

OP
OP
matthew.forsyth01

matthew.forsyth01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both My clowns have passed gonna use to opportunity of lack of livestock to get my tank setup better than before gonna build a sump so I have a better in tank filtration system get a RODI system Installed

Planned For This Week:
Build a sump out of a 10 gallon tank I have laying around
Install a RODI system in my house
Start Again Hopefully with better results!

Wish Me Luck

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both My clowns have passed gonna use to opportunity of lack of livestock to get my tank setup better than before gonna build a sump so I have a better in tank filtration system get a RODI system Installed

Planned For This Week:
Build a sump out of a 10 gallon tank I have laying around
Install a RODI system in my house
Start Again Hopefully with better results!

Wish Me Luck
Sorry your clowns passed! Glad you're getting a RO system. Know much success is coming your way and we look forward to hearing about it!

FYI: you can start your next cycle with a dead shrimp from frozen grocery section. Its tough on fish to be the cycle starters. Now there numerous biologic options out there too. Back when I first started, it was clowns/damsels (mean - personally not a damsel fan), dead shrimp or pee a bit in your own tank to get ammonia in to start cycle...

Quality water is the foundation for success. Water coming out of tap is treated instead for human consumption (... hopefully/usually... sometimes news has horror stories ie:Flint MI tap water 2014-2019 public health crisis).

You are on the right track and doing the right things. Keep us posted

OP
OP
matthew.forsyth01

matthew.forsyth01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before and after of todays additions bought a canister filter replaced the cheap standard in tank one [Top Right Corner On First Pic] I had before gonna clean up all the wires and hoses tonight
image.jpeg image0.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back