Maturing Dead Rock Outside the Reef

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be starting a new larger build in about a year. One of the issues with my current build is how long it took to mature before it would support SPS. I have read more and more on how mature live rock is thought to be vital to SPS success and after my experience with my first build I really buy into this.

I have the benefit of time to start maturing some "dead" rock, I have a move next July and then time to set up the new system. Now my plan is to obtain a 150 gallon Rubbermaid tub and start maturing the rock now.

I know some of the biodiversity in rock occurs when adding corals and having fish and feeding them helps produce nutrients for everything in the system. Are there opinions on whether it is feasible to start, maintain and advance bio-diverse live rock in a Rubbermaid tub? What strategies would may you have in introducing some beneficial organisms without pests? Does anyone provide any nutrients to Live Rock if it is sitting in a tub to keep organisms thriving?

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be starting a new larger build in about a year. One of the issues with my current build is how long it took to mature before it would support SPS. I have read more and more on how mature live rock is thought to be vital to SPS success and after my experience with my first build I really buy into this.

I have the benefit of time to start maturing some "dead" rock, I have a move next July and then time to set up the new system. Now my plan is to obtain a 150 gallon Rubbermaid tub and start maturing the rock now.

I know some of the biodiversity in rock occurs when adding corals and having fish and feeding them helps produce nutrients for everything in the system. Are there opinions on whether it is feasible to start, maintain and advance bio-diverse live rock in a Rubbermaid tub? What strategies would may you have in introducing some beneficial organisms without pests? Does anyone provide any nutrients to Live Rock if it is sitting in a tub to keep organisms thriving?
Stock up ton of liquid ammonia and dose the stub weekly to cycle and at least keep minimal BB alive in there, if you want you can change water every few months. I don't know where you gonna keep this stub but if temp stable enough then it's not going to hurt to raise some copepods in there.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to have heat + flow + nutrients. I would put a few fish in there after cycling it. There are several options for bacterial/microfauna cultures:

1. Handful of gunk from the ocean
2. Adding live rock
3. Garf Grunge
4. Indo Pacific Sea Farms Live sand activator

I think the dry rock sps thing can be accelerated pretty quickly, but imo you are right, it takes longer to "mature" or I prefer "establish".

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's simple bro, just cure it first and cycle it in your 150 Rubbermaid.
Use a skimmer and when your parameters are perfect put some fish in there and a clean up crew.
Make sure you quarantine the livestock and yes your CUC as well.
Leave it to be till you need it next year.

OP
OP
phillygeeks

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the good recs! I will certainly have heat and flow and will be adding nutrients by some means. I may try and get away without a protein skimmer

I would like to do this without any fish. However, I keep thinking to myself fish would make for a better environment if the ultimate goal is making biodiverse established live rock

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great topic. I would be interested in this as well. The question is, does simple curing and sitting in a tub for a year lend itself to the biodiversity seen after a year in a reef? I would guess the answer would be no, since you are not introducing sponges, feather dusters and other critters.

How about instead of curing and letting rock sit in a tub for a year, you get live rock from the ocean, and let it sit in the heated and circulated tub for 10 weeks? This should break the life cycle of any coral or fish parasites, right? Feed it food to keep the filter feeders alive. Then aquascape and start gluing frags :).

OP
OP
phillygeeks

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great topic. I would be interested in this as well. The question is, does simple curing and sitting in a tub for a year lend itself to the biodiversity seen after a year in a reef? I would guess the answer would be no, since you are not introducing sponges, feather dusters and other critters.

How about instead of curing and letting rock sit in a tub for a year, you get live rock from the ocean, and let it sit in the heated and circulated tub for 10 weeks? This should break the life cycle of any coral or fish parasites, right? Feed it food to keep the filter feeders alive. Then aquascape and start gluing frags :).
Thanks. I certainly don't expect the diversity of actual reef rock. That being said i do want to maximize the biodiversity as best as could be expected in a Rubbermaid tub.

Aqua-cultured reef rock I have looked into in the past. I would like to have more control over the potential pests. Letting aqua-cultured rock sit in a tub for 10 weeks isn't going to eliminate the risk for the bad hitch-hikers I want to avoid dealing with. I do still play with idea of getting some aqua-cultured rock as a seed culture. I will probably look into what carries the best risk:benefit ratio for a seed successful culture with minimizing the risk for unwanted hitch-hikers.

Any input on strategies for seed cultures (small amounts or aqua-cultured rock, live sand, rubble, local trusted aquarist rock or other novel approaches, etc.) are appreciated. Thanks @BigJohnny for your recs on that

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to have heat + flow + nutrients. I would put a few fish in there after cycling it. There are several options for bacterial/microfauna cultures:

1. Handful of gunk from the ocean
2. Adding live rock
3. Garf Grunge
4. Indo Pacific Sea Farms Live sand activator

I think the dry rock sps thing can be accelerated pretty quickly, but imo you are right, it takes longer to "mature" or I prefer "establish".

@BigJohnny or others, I always wondered, is it possible/likely to get bad hitchhikers from GARF Grunge or IPSF mud/sand activator? Same risk as live rock? They seem like decent ways to seed dry rock in a tub before adding to a display.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess at the least it would be easier to find hitchhikers with no hiding spots. .

OP
OP
phillygeeks

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with some live rock for the new tank. Definitely more pricey than the prior suggestions...and certainly a risk for bad hitchhikers. However, I have quite a few months to sort it out. I will probably add some dry rock at some point soon to hopefully get that seeded and going in preparation for the new build.

live rock.jpg

burtonboy182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which rock did you go with? Anything unwanted come on the rock. I’m in the same boat your in.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. +1 curiousity where you got it.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 134 59.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 80 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.1%
Back