Max comfortable weight on 2nd floor

The Deaf Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Noticed alot of people asked if their tank can be supported by their 2nd floor.

I have not bought a tank yet and was wondering without assistance from a structural engineer... what would be a max comfortable weight you guys would put on the 2nd floor of your house?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I knew I was putting the tank on floors that were in good shape structurally, near a load bearing wall, and perpendicular to the joists I wouldn’t worry at all about 100g or a little larger.

I once had a 75g tank in a crappy old apartment. The floors of the apartment would shake a lot just from someone walking across the room. Looking back at it I was young and stupid and probably shouldn’t have had that much weight on those floors. Plus there was a 55g on the opposite side of the room. So I guess how much weight I’m comfortable with depends on the condition of the floors.

deafasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every floor is different, but if there is a basement, is there a big difference between the first floor and the second for the size of the tank? I'm not talking about it being easier to add bracing if you have a basement, just what the floor joists will support.
For me I was fine putting a 55 gallon tank on the 1st floor of our house, but I would only allow my son to put a 20 gallon in his room on the second floor.
If the floors shake when you walk across them I would be very nervous. You tank becomes a dynamic load, not a static load, if the moving floor causes the tank to move.
Jeff

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back