Max tank size for a atlantic pygmy octopus?

Mp.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the opening phases of researching a potential pygmy atlantic octopus purchase- i have a empty 55 gal tank and i was wondering if that would be too large for it. I wouldent put anything else in the tank. And also wondering if id need to put lights on the aquarium before i got it

OP
OP
Mp.

Mp.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along because really interested if anyone successfully keeping and octopus in their aquarium.

Really cool!
Its certainly been done before- mostly worried about it being able to effectively find food in there. Though honestly id think such a intelligent animal wuldent have any struggles

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize that all shallow water cephalopods have a relatively short life. I am fascinated by cuttlefish, but won't get one because, at best, they live about two years. If you chill the tank, you'd be lucky to get your octopus to live a year. Also, you'd never see it while it remains hidden in a hole somewhere.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize that all shallow water cephalopods have a relatively short life. I am fascinated by cuttlefish, but won't get one because, at best, they live about two years. If you chill the tank, you'd be lucky to get your octopus to live a year. Also, you'd never see it while it remains hidden in a hole somewhere.
You can breed cuttlefish pretty easily in the right setup

OP
OP
Mp.

Mp.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive kept spiders before so im quite used to the short lifespan and never get to see it deal and i am prepared for that

OP
OP
Mp.

Mp.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean what's the minimum size you could keep one in? I don't think there is such a thing as too big of a tank... I mean they live in the ocean after all i
But do you think itd struggle to find food?

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But do you think itd struggle to find food?
No octopus are literally 9 trillion iq they could find food easy. Only issue I’d think of is keep it half full and locked with a heavy glass lid and internal filter with no gaps at all as precaution for it escaping

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean what's the minimum size you could keep one in? I don't think there is such a thing as too big of a tank... I mean they live in the ocean after all lol
Bingo!

I do think the OP was looking for guidance for containers that might be used in a home setting. :)

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because you have no tank or experience with anything saltwater. You simply repeat what " your friend" said.
i shouldve said the statment was useless.

the best analogy I could think of Is "flying a plane isn't hard if you know what you're doing"

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back