OP
LexMueller

LexMueller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys!!! Help!!!! clam was doing great! But then my elegance stung it… now two parts of its mantle is pinched…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 106
OP
OP
LexMueller

LexMueller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You see at the bottom of the clams mantle? I think It was stung. It was fine this morning

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 87

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While a great article, some husbandry has changed. Notice , this article written in 2010
While I might be a little late to this thread (gearing up for my own attempt at keeping a clam) I found the article to be an excellent resource so would you please share exactly what husbandry has changed since 2010?
TIA, Chris

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While I might be a little late to this thread (gearing up for my own attempt at keeping a clam) I found the article to be an excellent resource so would you please share exactly what husbandry has changed since 2010?
TIA, Chris
lighting, flow, recognition of harmful pests such as pyramid snails and aquaculturing

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg Hiller spoke about these organisms being sensitive to Lanthium Chloride.

I use ATI 8 x 54w and kalk at 2-3 liters a day.

Lots of banter on how these are much harder to keep today. The reasons are simple to me, LED lighting and dead rock. Sorry

hobie61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

How is your clam doing? I have the same PM25 and AI prime light. Tank is almost a year old now and have been dealing with green hair algae growth. Seems to be never ending. Some corals have survived, some have not. Starting to get better though. Keep experimenting. I have a maxima arriving next week and seeking your knowledge that you have gained. Any tibbets for survival? Feeding that has worked? I have the ecotech g5 light arriving soon.

Thanks much for your time and advice. Much appreciated.

Saltyanimals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6-7 inch Maxima been in my tank for 3-4 years. Man my parameters are no where close to the numbers here. Nitrate is 15-20ppm, Ca 450+ and my temps are always 81-82+ in the summers. Just shows how resilient these animals are so I wouldn't chase numbers too much.

Tip on the par. Mine is on the sand given the size I didn't want it to fall. My three Gen6 XR15s on T5 hybrids do not give enough par at the bottom, however I noticed the par is amplified by the reflection off the glass. So put your clams front and center closer to the glass to help with any low par concerns. Just keep the glass clean of course. =)

OP
OP
LexMueller

LexMueller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6-7 inch Maxima been in my tank for 3-4 years. Man my parameters are no where close to the numbers here. Nitrate is 15-20ppm, Ca 450+ and my temps are always 81-82+ in the summers. Just shows how resilient these animals are so I wouldn't chase numbers too much.

Tip on the par. Mine is on the sand given the size I didn't want it to fall. My three Gen6 XR15s on T5 hybrids do not give enough par at the bottom, however I noticed the par is amplified by the reflection off the glass. So put your clams front and center closer to the glass to help with any low par concerns. Just keep the glass clean of course. =)
Hey man! It's been forever since I posted this. I was so worried st first - my clam is still going strong today! I've been neglecting my tank for a bit recently and so it's been swinging here n there... but my maxima is doing great haha.
Thanks for the reply my friend. I'll post a pic when I get home. I'd love to see yours

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There’s nothing out of the ordinary with your parameters. Clams metabolize nitrates, that’s likely how it’s able to do well with lower lighting if that is indeed the case (you didn’t list your PAR number).

That being said, an exception to the rule (in this case, potentially PAR on the low end as to be risky) doesn’t mean that people should replicate this and expect success. If you want a clam, give it enough light. Most of us probably wouldn’t keep a dog and give it only a tiny amount of food and hope it survives just because our neighbor did and it happened to work for them…

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back