Maxima clam help

drewsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so ive had my maxima clam for a week and a half. Its been doing really well. I took a picture a few hours ago because it was looking great. After a couple hours i noticed that one side seems to be receding. I dont know if its because my light is diming down to night mode or if something is wrong. I plan on doing a WC tomorrow. What do you guys think? Should action be taken? Ive been checking for pyramid snails and i havent seen any. Heres a before and after pic
20180223_151221.jpg
20180223_193128.jpg

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think at this point you’re overreacting a little. The mantle still looks extended. The light change could be effecting it and causing it close. It won’t die overnight so I would just watch it.

How big is it? Anything under 4 inches is typically said to need phytoplankton dosed on a regular basis. Just a heads up.

OP
OP
drewsreef

drewsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think at this point you’re overreacting a little. The mantle still looks extended. The light change could be effecting it and causing it close. It won’t die overnight so I would just watch it.

How big is it? Anything under 4 inches is typically said to need phytoplankton dosed on a regular basis. Just a heads up.
Mine is 5 in. I do dose phyto everyday. I did change the intensity of my led light from 50% to 60%. Its just that this is my first clam and i just dont want to lose it[emoji52]

OP
OP
drewsreef

drewsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 5 in. I do dose phyto everyday. I did change the intensity of my led light from 50% to 60%. Its just that this is my first clam and i just dont want to lose it[emoji52]
But thanks for the info!

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re okay to be honest. Just keep an eye on it. If it starts to close up, the mantle doesn’t extend past the shell, or you see the inards start to come out then worry, if not you’re ok. And at 5 inches they’ll filter feed. They don’t require much after that. Good luck!

OP
OP
drewsreef

drewsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re okay to be honest. Just keep an eye on it. If it starts to close up, the mantle doesn’t extend past the shell, or you see the inards start to come out you’re ok. And at 5 inches they’ll filter feed. They don’t require much after that. Good luck!
Ok...i just think its weird since i havent seen it do that...and the right side where the mantle is receding hasn't extended since i noticed it retracting

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just going into its night cycle in my opinion. Check it out tomorrow once the lights are back on.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that lps, looks like a chalice or Acan Enchinata sending out sweeper tentacles in the direction of the clam?

OP
OP
drewsreef

drewsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that lps, looks like a chalice or Acan Enchinata sending out sweeper tentacles in the direction of the clam?
Which one? There is a gsp to the right of it and a favia to the left. The favia doesnt seem to be bothering it. Above it is a chalice which is a good few inches. I havent seen any signs of any stinging

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd watch the chalice. Sweepers can get over 6" long easily. Other than that the clam looks healthy. You don't need to dose phyto for the clam.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back