Maxima clam questions

rgaleana2009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello team, hope you r great. I have had 2 maxima clams for 6 months but now I can see their mantle is a little more elongated, so wondering if some of you can provide me your advice to know if they look OK or maybe I need provide more light. BTW I have tried to get a parmeter but it is impossible here in Mex

Here is a video of them, your comments will be greatly appreciated :)

e6d3b714e99a9b750031ce67f7c3e4bf.jpg
813da32b48eb9f16adfcf40ac6defc4b.jpg
84812980f28f1f58fa95198c0c384cc8.jpg
6843bf886327330f8141c32102d2bedf.jpg

Joel B.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big floppy mantle's are a sign of a happy clam, not necessarily that it's reaching for light like you expect when you see coral extend.

The easiest way to tell how well your clams are doing is to interrupt their light source with your hand and cast a shadow over the clam, they should react and close up somewhat. When they do that, look at the edge of the inside of the shell that's normally covered by the mantle when extended. You should be able to see some pearly white shell. This is new shell growth, and the more of it the better the clam is doing.

phishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look beautiful to me! I'd just watch out for that bubble tip! Mine likes its personal space, and will kill to protect it ;Nailbiting

OP
OP
R

rgaleana2009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big floppy mantle's are a sign of a happy clam, not necessarily that it's reaching for light like you expect when you see coral extend.

The easiest way to tell how well your clams are doing is to interrupt their light source with your hand and cast a shadow over the clam, they should react and close up somewhat. When they do that, look at the edge of the inside of the shell that's normally covered by the mantle when extended. You should be able to see some pearly white shell. This is new shell growth, and the more of it the better the clam is doing.
Thanks Joel
Good to know this

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have new shell growth? I mean significant like 1/4 or 1/2 inch and not just a MM near where the mantle is. This is the only positive-positive that there is with clams.

Mantle extension is fun, but not a sign of much. Clams that are well fed (light) do not always extend as far as they can.

It is good that they are still alive after six months. Without new growth, they could still be time bombs. Sometimes, Tridacna look great for nine months or even a year and then all of a sudden die in a few days - they were slowly starving the whole time. Only fresh shell growth indicates that the clam is thriving.

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have new shell growth? I mean significant like 1/4 or 1/2 inch and not just a MM near where the mantle is. This is the only positive-positive that there is with clams.

Mantle extension is fun, but not a sign of much. Clams that are well fed (light) do not always extend as far as they can.

It is good that they are still alive after six months. Without new growth, they could still be time bombs. Sometimes, Tridacna look great for nine months or even a year and then all of a sudden die in a few days - they were slowly starving the whole time. Only fresh shell growth indicates that the clam is thriving.

My 1" maxima which I've had only 1 month from a fellow reefer has MM white area when mantle retracts. This has appeared in just a month.

A.

OP
OP
R

rgaleana2009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi jda, thanks for your answer. Definitely they have new shell, I can tell they are growing :)

cwalton00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those clams look great. I agree with the above if you are seeing alot of new shell growth you are doing something right.

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice that older clams will have spectacular mantle extension. I've seen 15 inch long squamosas that have mantles as wide as their shells!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back