Maxima is getting covered in bubble algae

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It started with one bubble on the clam and quickly has progressed to causing him to pinch mantle.

He's on a rock and have had no luck removing him.

The algae doesn't come off easily, and I'm not interested in popping them to spore around the tank..

Any suggestions? Thanks

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It started with one bubble on the clam and quickly has progressed to causing him to pinch mantle.

The algae doesn't come off easily, and I'm not interested in popping them to spore around the tank..

Any suggestions? Thanks
If popping bubble algae caused it to spread, why are emerald crabs used to combat it? They don't eat the bubbles whole, they pop them. Such an old wives tale!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any suggestions? Thanks
Make this gadget, 1/4" stainless steel straw sealed inside of a 1/2" hose. Create a suction and try sucking up the algae, you may have to scrape a little with the straw. I have used it on GHA, mushrooms etc. Works great. Be careful not to touch the mantle, have the clam close up first. Good luck. May even work on aiptasia.

Attachments

• 20210804_075910[1578].jpg
    20210804_075910[1578].jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
F

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make this gadget, 1/4" stainless steel straw sealed inside of a 1/2" hose. Create a suction and try sucking up the algae, you may have to scrape a little with the straw. I have used it on GHA, mushrooms etc. Works great. Be careful not to touch the mantle, have the clam close up first. Good luck. May even work on aiptasia.
I will give this a try thanks. Where did you find the straw?

OP
OP
F

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If popping bubble algae caused it to spread, why are emerald crabs used to combat it? They don't eat the bubbles whole, they pop them. Such an old wives tale!
How does it spread? If I just pop them all with it go away?

OP
OP
F

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Picked up a set of straws from target, and used some airline tubing laying around. The tubing was close in diameter so it was a snug fit over the straw.

Worked flawlessly. Hope that's the end of the battle for now!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 192 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back