Maxpect Gyre Cleaning

Dr RBG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of these but hate to clean them, which I just did. I was wondering if I sprayed the parts with food grade silicone would it make them easier to clean? Would it have any detrimental effect on the fish or corals?

Why don't the Teflon coat them when they make them? Would be worth the extra cost to be able to just rinse them off. :confused:

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... I just dunk mine every so often in vinegar water solution and hit them with a quick tooth brush then throw them back in. I will break them down like once a year or earlier if they are looking nasty. So far, so good

My routine also...I just broke my 250 down and cleaned it the other day and I don't plan on doing it again for another 7-8 months...! I've had it going for over 3 years and the only problem was me breaking the shaft once....other than that zero issues.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I do also, but what about the silicone idea?

So I am paranoid, so I try not to introduce anything into the fragile ecosystem if it doesn't need to be. I am not sure what the effects of it building up long term in the water column will be.

Now saying that, you could test on something in like a QT tank on some parts and see the effect if you want to test.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wipe mine off weekly and once a month I do the vinegar/RODI Fresh in the bucket clean. No issues and works well as fellow members here have stated. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back