Shluffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have searched but I have not found. What I know:
1) Same technology, licensed by maxspect to IceCap
2) Maxspect is significantly more expensive
3) Both are highly rated, but some comment on noise issues from the larger pumps
4) both can be controlled by an Apex, but require purchase of a seperate module (that will run up to two pumps)
5) The Maxspect is "higher quality and has more flow options"

My questions:
1) Is the Maxspect significantly quieter?
2) When they say "more flow options" can anyone tell me what that means? Are they options I'll even use?
3) Is the Jebao knockoff a reasonable option, or is it of significantly lower quality? I have been using one of their powerheads for three years with no issues.

Thanks in advance!

westmichigan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3) Both are highly rated, but some comment on noise issues from the larger pumps
4) both can be controlled by an Apex, but require purchase of a seperate module (that will run up to two pumps)

My questions:
2) When they say "more flow options" can anyone tell me what that means? Are they options I'll even use?
3) Is the Jebao knockoff a reasonable option, or is it of significantly lower quality? I have been using one of their powerheads for three years with no issues.

Thanks in advance!
I have an ice cap 3k and I love it. My only regret it now I want two and I can't run them off of one controller. Not a deal breaker but inconveniant.

OP
OP
S

Shluffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? I have a 7 foot tank, so I may need 2 .....

westmichigan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 foot, 125 gallon. It does a pretty good job. In hindsight I think having the option to have two with one pushing and one pulling and synced together would be a nice. I could probably get another ice cap and have two controllers and have them pretty close to synced. How much flow are you looking for?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have not tried a Jebao, but 2 friends said don't bother.

Corndiggly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t seen icecaps to compare but my twin xf230’s are by no means quiet, once ramped up past 30% the noise is quite noticeable. Particularly when you have them ramp up/down.
Constant flow is less noticeable, still noisy but not so bad as it is just a constant hum.
Good flow and good programability though straight out of the box using the one controller.

In my 4ft tank I can’t turn them up past 30% anyway as there is too much flow and it creates a sandstorm although changing the placement and program so they are not both at more than 20% at the same time has helped significantly.
I haven’t found much use for all the program options on this size tank due to the limitations on how much I can crank the flow but it may be an advantage on a larger tank.

OP
OP
S

Shluffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never been able to figure out how much flow I need. My return pump give me about 20x. The water is returned on the bottom of the tank (yes, with a syphon break at the top) using a spray bar. I can't see any real deadspots, but their might be some in the rocks. If I could get alternating current off my return I don't think I would need a powerhead. unfortunately, I can't. the 3k at 100% would get me 11x. The 230 get me 9x and the 250 gets me 20x. The 1k just isn't enough, but maybe two of them. The sweet spot is likely 2 x 3k or 2x fx230. If I go with 2, I would get the Maxspec. the extra $100 for the higher quality (if true), more flow options, and sync ability is probably worth it. I'm just having trouble rationalizing $430. I would be much happier at 160, and could add a second if needed. It would be nice to be able to match the push / pull though. Unfortunately, my thick glass makes mounting anything but the fx250 an issue. I currently have a powerhead mounted with the back inside my overflow, but that will only work for 1 powerhead / gyre. So I can't really go with 2x fx230 or 2x3k. I have to go with 1 3k, 1 fx230, or the choice of 1 or 2 fx250.

The pricing is painful. My options:
1) IceCap 3k: 160
2) Maxspect fx230: 290
3) fx250: 340
4) 2x fx250: 500

the 230 probably probably isn't worth it since I can't add a second without solving the mounting problem. The 250 would give me the option of adding a second later, but the option is expensive. I'll probably go with 1 3k or two fx250s.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant comment on the noise since I dont have my xf230 setup yet. Here is what i do know from the research I did. Maxspects give you a lot more control and modes than Icecap. While a lot of folks will use only 1 or 2 modes, you also have option of creating your own modes as well. You can have 24 different flows throughout the day with maxspect. With Maxspect you can also program both pumps to work at the same time differently, which again provides you with different flow options.

CJ has great video on this:

In terms of numbers needed. Nice thing about Maxspects is that you can mix and match a bit. You can match lower and higher unit together and use only one controller. What I mean by that is, you can take xf130 and match it with xf230, 150 with 250 and so on. These are same pumps, but difference is new vs old controller. What you cannot do is match 130 with 250 for example. So if you want 2 250's, you can get 1 250 with new controller and 1 150 and call it a day. Saves you some $

Finally, maintenance will be about the same for both icecap and maxspect. These pumps do need to be taken apart and cleaned few times a year. Some do it every 2-3 months, some less. It all depends on your aquarium and how pumps perform.

OP
OP
S

Shluffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to an unfortunate accident with my feeder (I was careless when I opened it to check how much food was left, and it dumped in the tank), I now know my current flow pattern. With my single powerhead in the back, I have 1 dead spot in the middle of the tank in the front. I have flow in the spot, but its low. I would assume their are also dead spots in the rock structure. No real way to know. Regardless, it seems I can accomplish my goal with a single gyre replacing the current powerhead in the back.

I'll watch the video later this evening. I don't see the 150 for sale anywhere.

OP
OP
S

Shluffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to watch it. He makes a very compelling case that the money for this is well spent, and that the significant control options are worth it if you get 2. My surface agitation, and ability to move where the water flows is nothing like that. Its impressive.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you need more than one go with the Maxspect gyre with advance controller.
For more control ability add the Maxspect Connect (ICV6) so you can do it through the phone. I love this thing.
Gyres have always been quiet for me except if you run them at or close to max speed.
Best flow out there and the most gentle.

I have some frag tanks where I am going to try the icecap gyre.

OP
OP
S

Shluffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allright. Another question. Is there an advantage to using the maxspect controller over getting the icecap interfaces? Two 250's with the APEX modules is only an extra 50. I think I have to get an additional part to power them though. So maybe its more.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Allright. Another question. Is there an advantage to using the maxspect controller over getting the icecap interfaces? Two 250's with the APEX modules is only an extra 50. I think I have to get an additional part to power them though. So maybe its more.

If we are talking about the same things the ice cap interface allows them to be hooked up to Apex and other controllers with 0-10v.

OP
OP
S

Shluffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Same thing.

To me, once you allow it to connect to the controller, it should all be the same from a functionality perspective. You just lose the built in modes. You also jump the price to about the same for either system.

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My questions:

Thanks in advance!

1. I have actually had both. Maxspect XF230 and IceCap 3k. I started with the XF230 and returned it 2x. It was insanely loud both times. So went to the icecap 3k and have been pretty happy. I have a 3'x2'x'2 tank so I can push it more than 20% w/o a tornado but with a 2' deep tank like how long the pump is to spread the flow.

2. The maxspect comes with 2 sets of propellers so you can run it in alternating modes. One side the pump can be pushing water while the other side is creating turbulence and vice versa. You can do the with the ice cap if you. Just need to buy additional propellers separate which eats into the savings.

3. Stay away. Just personal experience. I had a wavemaker die in like a month. I have a back dc return pump from them for an emergency and even that makes me nervous.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an icecap 3k and run it on random upto 50% in my 4' tank. i dont recall ever hearing aside from some water ripples. goes well with my 2 mp40s

Tarpongriller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not run my icecap past 10 percent as it has a very annoying whine noise. The noise started after a few months of use. So I just run if on constant at 10percent. I bought a icecap battery back up should I loose power, but running at 10 percent may not do the job during a outage. I have cleaned it numerous times with no change in sound. Seems like a very common issue .

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back