MaxSpect Duo leaks all over

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
horrible product support

I am trying to get support on why my duo is brand new and leaking all over from the inlet turbine covers. both sides are leaking and the rubber o rings are in place whats the reason for this?

just seems like a bad product or something and even worse that i can not get support for this when i call

5E7DE796-80F4-478B-9F53-0BC2BDD91833.jpeg

Last edited:

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have access to the o-rings, make sure they are clean and consider using a tiny amount of vasoline on the o-ring to facilitate a better seal. Also, are you certain that everything is tightened properly?

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have access to the o-rings, make sure they are clean and consider using a tiny amount of vasoline on the o-ring to facilitate a better seal. Also, are you certain that everything is tightened properly?
I would use a silicone grease over a petroleum based grease (Vaseline) on the o-rings.

To OP:
Have you contacted Coralvue? they are usually pretty good with response to service inquiries.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the information Ive read state that the Duo is an internal pump... is it meant to run outside of the tank? If not, theres a good chance you found your problem. Call Maxspect, they're customer support is normally pretty good.

Zotch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't the pump supposed to be ran IN WATER??? ;Facepalm And it looks like the blue input plastic screw pieces are not all the way in.

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i heard this is an internal use pump only. yet not a single website states this is internal use only.
its such a tease like the way its designed is designed for external use for 2 input sources and to out sources

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only seen it on the coralvue website, but it clearly states in bright red writing (all other text being black) that it is for "submerged applications only!"

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely states it on Coralvues site but I sure couldn't find it on any of the more popular online stores. Which you would think would be an important piece of info to add.

So, expected to leak? Wow.

Not expected to leak, not designed to be used externally. Which is a shame as it's design leans itself well to external applications. Definitely could have done a little more work and made it external.

Screenshot_20180410-205906.jpg

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without trying to sound ignorant, lord knows I'm technologically handicapped, but, when a pump is for submerged use only doesn't that mean that the pump is water cooled and running without that "coolant" would damage the pump from the heat that would be generated from operation? Not necessarily because it's expected to leak.

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea but who buys from coralvue. None of the online retailers say submerse pump only

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea but who buys from coralvue. None of the online retailers say submerse pump only

I agree it should definitely be passed along via the vendor's sites. It's a rather large draw back to the design and should be communicated properly. Maybe we can get a few vendor's to include it on there sites atleast @MarineDepot @Bulk Reef Supply @premiumaquatics

Without trying to sound ignorant, lord knows I'm technologically handicapped, but, when a pump is for submerged use only doesn't that mean that the pump is water cooled and running without that "coolant" would damage the pump from the heat that would be generated from operation? Not necessarily because it's expected to leak.

I'm sure it could have multiple meanings although I would never have thought of the leaking issue as being first on that list. As you said I would think the primary reason for stating that would be a cooling problem.

But Regardless, @techhnyne should have received some semblance of customer service from coralvue on the issue.

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get a call back from coralvue but only after reaching out to one of their sales reps personally, so thanks to him.

but again at first look at this pump you think it would be an external/internal pump the way it is designed, and especially since no online retailer mentions internal only

Back