Maxspect Gyre 350 Program Suggestions

denverjon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased 2 Gyre 350's for my 250 gallon. I've read some threads and played around with the settings but still haven't found one I love so I thought I'd ask for suggestions. My tank is 6ft long and is a mix of sps, lps and softies. I have the gyres placed on each end. I'm not overly technical so i'm looking for a flow that's relatively easy to program.

Unknown-1.jpeg

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the ability to sync them?
I’ve always liked running one ramping then switch to the other and ramp that so you have a good back and forth flow every 20-30 seconds

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the ability to sync them?
I’ve always liked running one ramping then switch to the other and ramp that so you have a good back and forth flow every 20-30 seconds

That's how I run my IceCaps (which are very similar and use MaxSpects tech). I have one top side left and one bottom right corner mounted vertically with ramp up from 0-75% over 30 secs for day and 0-30% for night at 20 secs.

magikfly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulse one and anti-sync the other. Best feature ever.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I prefer to have them run in 2 minute pulses anti-synched. Anything shorter than that and a true, mass volume flow (similar to what you'll find on reefs) never has a chance to form...

In my 4' long x 18" x 18" tank, here's how I programmed my dual 330s (one on each end of the tank) to have constant back and forth mass flow (simulating waves coming in and out) with that rise and drop in strength twice a day to also simulated tidal change:

gyre program.png

(I don't run the left in reverse because I have a torch just below it that would get a little to buffeted by it.)

It keeps detritus well suspended. My SPS and LPS seem to love it. And when I feed medium-sized sinking pellets, they roll back and forth on the sandbed from one side of the tank to the other ensuring all my bottom-dwelling fish and critters get food.

Last edited:

techdef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of 350s on a 6’ tank and am using the default OGC program. It seems to work pretty well and didn’t require any programming :) does a good job of blasting the sps up top and flushing the stuff below. Turn it up till the sand blows around then back it off a notch

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Personally, I prefer to have them run in 2 minute pulses anti-synched. Anything shorter than that and a true, mass volume flow (similar to what you'll find on reefs) never has a chance to form...

In my 4' long x 18" x 18" tank, here's how I programmed my dual 330s (one on each end of the tank) to have constant back and forth mass flow (simulating waves coming in and out) with that rise and drop in strength twice a day to also simulated tidal change:

gyre program.png

(I don't run the left in reverse because I have a torch just below it that would get a little to buffeted by it.)

It keeps detritus well suspended. My SPS and LPS seem to love it. And when I feed medium-sized sinking pellets, they roll back and forth on the sandbed from one side of the tank to the other ensuring all my bottom-dwelling fish and critters get food.
How did you set up your profile ?

I have apex so I’d like to do this on both my new xf330

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

gyre program.png

Did you this settings with the Maxpect Controller?

Actually at the moment i am using one in Pulse and the other in Random which i like but will like to try something different.

Last edited:

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you set up your profile ?

I have apex so I’d like to do this on both my new xf330
Through the Maxspect controller. I don't use an Apex. But, I believe BRS showed how they programmed theirs for an Apex in one of their videos. My flow %'s and times may be different, but the Apex program they showed may serve as an overall template for you.

Unfortunately, I can't recall which BRS video it was specifically, so you'll have to search a bit for it ... but I think it was a specific review on the Maxspect Gyre shortly after they set a pair up in one of their long-term tanks.

Did you this settings with the Maxpect Controller?

Actually at the moment i am using one in Pulse and the other in Random which i like but will like to try something different.
Yep, set up with the Maxspect Controller.

I also recently modified my schedule. Upped the flow a bit more. And added in two 100% 5-minute bursts a day to help lift detritus.

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 2.43.36 PM.png

So, for example, set-point 1 starts at 00:00.
Pump A is set to alternating gyre mode. Maximum flow is set to 80%. Minimum flow is 0%. Ramp up time is 10s. Ramp down time is 10s. Max flow time is 2m. Min flow time is 2m.
Pump B is set to anti-synchronized. Max flow is set to 80%. Min flow is set to 0%.

Set-point 2 starts at 01:50.
Pump A is set to alternating gyre mode. Maximum flow is set to 100%. Minimum flow is 0%. Ramp up is 10s. Ramp down is 10s. Max flow time is 2m. Min flow time is 2m.
Pump B is set to anti-synchronized. Max flow is set to 100%. Min flow is set to 0%.

Set-point 3 starts at 02:00.
Pump A is set to alternating gyre mode. Maximum flow is set to 70%. Minimum flow is 0%. Ramp up is 10s. Ramp down is 10s. Max flow time is 2m. Min flow time is 2m.
Pump B is set to anti-synchronized. Max flow is set to 70%. Min flow is set to 0%.

Etc.

This makes my flow cycle from a high tide (e.g. 80% strength) down to low tide (e.g. 50% strength) twice a day ... with two 5 minute surges (100%) right at the end of each high tide to help lift heavier detritus.

ManuelMB79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Through the Maxspect controller. I don't use an Apex. But, I believe BRS showed how they programmed theirs for an Apex in one of their videos. My flow %'s and times may be different, but the Apex program they showed may serve as an overall template for you.

Unfortunately, I can't recall which BRS video it was specifically, so you'll have to search a bit for it ... but I think it was a specific review on the Maxspect Gyre shortly after they set a pair up in one of their long-term tanks.

I also recently modified my schedule. Upped the flow a bit more. And added in two 100% 5-minute bursts a day to help lift detritus.

Pump A is set to alternating gyre mode. Maximum flow is set to 80%. Minimum flow is 0%. Ramp up time is 10s. Ramp down time is 10s. Max flow time is 2m. Min flow time is 2m.
Pump B is set to anti-synchronized. Max flow is set to 80%. Min flow is set to 0%.

Pump A is set to alternating gyre mode. Maximum flow is set to 100%. Minimum flow is 0%. Ramp up is 10s. Ramp down is 10s. Max flow time is 2m. Min flow time is 2m.
Pump B is set to anti-synchronized. Max flow is set to 100%. Min flow is set to 0%.

Pump A is set to alternating gyre mode. Maximum flow is set to 70%. Minimum flow is 0%. Ramp up is 10s. Ramp down is 10s. Max flow time is 2m. Min flow time is 2m.
Pump B is set to anti-synchronized. Max flow is set to 70%. Min flow is set to 0%.

Etc.

This makes my flow cycle from a high tide (e.g. 80% strength) down to low tide (e.g. 50% strength) twice a day ... with two 5 minute surges (100%) right at the end of each high tide to help lift heavier detritus.
Hello Malacoda,

I want to try this schedule to my 5ft long by 19"w x 23"h, but I have some questions, please you can help me with this?
1.- Each gyre is mounted at the end of the tank?
2.- What distance between the surface?
3.- The rotors are directed to the front or in any direction?
4.- Are you using the flow director?
5.- And to achieve the "gyre" effect you change de impellers, I mean, change the cages and impellers to put A+A and B+B?

I hope to be clear and You have the time to help me!
Thanks in advice

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Malacoda,

I want to try this schedule to my 5ft long by 19"w x 23"h, but I have some questions, please you can help me with this?
1.- Each gyre is mounted at the end of the tank?
2.- What distance between the surface?
3.- The rotors are directed to the front or in any direction?
4.- Are you using the flow director?
5.- And to achieve the "gyre" effect you change de impellers, I mean, change the cages and impellers to put A+A and B+B?

I hope to be clear and You have the time to help me!
Thanks in advice
Hi @ManuelMB79.

1. Yes, the gyres are mounted on each end (the sidewalls) of the tank, facing each other. You can see them in the tank shot below.

2. I have mine mounted 2.5 inches below the surface. In my tank, that position keeps them under 1 inch of water when I turn off my return pump. This allows me to keep the gyres running ... and flow moving in the tank ... while the return pump is turn off during water changes or tank or sump maintenance.

3. The rotors are directed as shown by the arrows below: The right pump runs for 2 minutes, forming a counter-clockwise gyre as shown by the green arrows below. Then it ramps down to zero and the left pump ramps up and runs for 2 minutes forming a clockwise gyre as shown by the red arrows. The alternate back-and-forth like this every 2 minutes ... with the power % increasing and decrease every 2 hours as shown in the table in the post above.

4. I am using the 'flow directors' that came with the pumps. The reason I use them is because, when I leave gyres on during water changes while my DT water level is low (because the return pump is off) it prevent the rotors from splashing or sucking in and spitting out air.

5. The standard A+B rotor setup is used. Since neither pump is run in reverse, it is not necessary to switch to an A+A or B+B configuration.

Hope this info is helpful!

gyre-FTS.png

ManuelMB79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @ManuelMB79.

1. Yes, the gyres are mounted on each end (the sidewalls) of the tank, facing each other. You can see them in the tank shot below.

2. I have mine mounted 2.5 inches below the surface. In my tank, that position keeps them under 1 inch of water when I turn off my return pump. This allows me to keep the gyres running ... and flow moving in the tank ... while the return pump is turn off during water changes or tank or sump maintenance.

3. The rotors are directed as shown by the arrows below: The right pump runs for 2 minutes, forming a counter-clockwise gyre as shown by the green arrows below. Then it ramps down to zero and the left pump ramps up and runs for 2 minutes forming a clockwise gyre as shown by the red arrows. The alternate back-and-forth like this every 2 minutes ... with the power % increasing and decrease every 2 hours as shown in the table in the post above.

4. I am using the 'flow directors' that came with the pumps. The reason I use them is because, when I leave gyres on during water changes while my DT water level is low (because the return pump is off) it prevent the rotors from splashing or sucking in and spitting out air.

5. The standard A+B rotor setup is used. Since neither pump is run in reverse, it is not necessary to switch to an A+A or B+B configuration.

Hope this info is helpful!

gyre-FTS.png
Hi @malacoda

I really apreciate your time!! All your explanation is very complete and helpfull, I´ll try this afternoon! Have a nice weekend.

Alphasig293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont have the Apex, are you manually entering these in on the controller? I have 2 xf250s on a 6' 225 (72*30*24). I'm currently running them on "random" with two WAVs on the back running on "Back Scheme". My return is split and comes in on both sides as well.

I really want more flow on the bottom of the tank. Since my tank is 30" tall, I feel I'm not getting enough flow.

Thoughts?

Gildo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Etc.

HI @malacoda
after a few years since you posted this program, have you made any further improvements? could you post your latest best show?

I have a strong flow from right to left due to the return pump, should I take this into account when programming the gyres?

I ask these questions because I'm starting to see some SPS that grows a lot in one direction and stops in the opposite direction and I think it's a question of flow

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI @malacoda
after a few years since you posted this program, have you made any further improvements? could you post your latest best show?

I have a strong flow from right to left due to the return pump, should I take this into account when programming the gyres?

I ask these questions because I'm starting to see some SPS that grows a lot in one direction and stops in the opposite direction and I think it's a question of flow
Sorry, but I haven't used gyres for close to 2 years now. I upgraded to a 120g at the end of 2021 ... and, in my quest to find good laminar flow throughout the tank with as few and/or least visible pumps ... I decided to try a pair of Panta Rheis.

Gyres are still my no. 2 choice for pump type. But the Pantas give me the same type of gyre-style flow with a smaller physical and visual footprint.

That said, yes, if it were me, I would set the gyre that is flowing against the return-pump flow to run at slightly higher % ... maybe try 10% more, then 20% more, etc. until you get the flow you're looking for in that direction.

Another thing you can try, which may be an even better option, is to point the return nozzle slightly toward the water surface (if it isn't already) and position the opposite gyre a bit lower so that return pump flow rolls across the top of the gyre's current.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back