Maxspect gyre v. Ecotech vortech

reeffirstaid

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 11, 2012
Messages
449
Reaction score
81
Location
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone's view of the Maxspect gyre in comparison to the Ecotech vortech. I have both pumps but I'll squeeze my insights in as people comment from their own experience.
 
Well i like ecotechs because they "push" water at an object. I like the Maxspect because of the high velocity undertow. I own both and like both. Each serve their purpose.
 
I own both as well. I will be using both on my new 250 build. I like the controllability of the Vortech. I like the fact that no cords are in the tank with the Vortech. I like the undertow that the Gyre creates. The Vortech is built well, and doesn't break easily. The Gyre breaks if you look at it funny. I like EcoTechs customer service. Coralvues customer service has gone down hill recently. Hope it gets fixed soon. All in all, if I had the coin for a couple of MP60QDs, the Gyre would never be wet in my tanks.
 
I still prefer the Ecotech product. The gyre has some high points, especially if you have a bare bottom tank. It can create flow that travels across the top of the tank, throughout, right over the bare bottom. This works well when keeping food suspended or moving settled debris into the water column. For me, that's where the gyre's high points end. The controller is archaic when compared to an Ecotech controller and the various options that exist are limited, and all really play on one function which is what I described above.

The Vortech employs the technology to change flow schedules from anywhere, which believe it or not comes in handy. Also, the degree of customization on the Vortech is pretty incredible and overall, I haven't seen anything the gyre does that a properly programmed vortech can't. I do run the gyre on my reef, but sooner or later I will replace it with a quiet drive vortech and likely not purchase another gyre.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new