Maxspect Gyre XF350 Cloud Edition Comments

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at replacing my MP60's with 2 Maxspect Gyre XF350's Cloud Edition. I will be keeping my 2 MP40's that are hooked up to 2 battery backups mainly for power outages. The 2 main reasons for getting rid of the MP60's is my tank is 7' long and because the lowest GPH of the MP60's is just to high, when in Master Slave Anti Sync with pumps on opposite sides you can't push water from one side to the other. This has bugged me for the last 3yrs. The other reason is the complete lack of Ecotech support. 18mo ago I sent them a request to slow down the minimum speed of the pumps to 500GPH and to update Mobius by adding a minimum speed slide bar next to the maximum speed slide bar and they got back with me and said they understood the issue and that it was a great idea but would not be able to get to it for a few months due to other projects they were working on. 18mo later after not seeing they did anything I contacted them and sent in another request and was told I would hear back from the software engineer in a few hours and it has been 2wks and never heard back. I called them last Friday and told then to disregard the request and that I will be replacing the Vortech's with different power heads.

Anyways, I am looking more some unbiased comments from my fellow reefers that are using the Maxspect Cloud Edition's on your experience with these new Gyre's. I have read a few comments on people having Wi-Fi connectivity issues, and to be honest that is not a concern to me. I have always been able to connect certain equipment to Wi-Fi where others say they have issues connecting. I have a very strong Wi-Fi system in my home. My Wi-Fi dbm at my tanks control center averages around 32dbm which is very strong. I just replaced my UV/Refugium Vectra M2 that craped out on a thermistor fault after running for lest than 3ys at 40% speed with a Jebao-MDP-10000 Smart DC Pump and the Wi-Fi connected with no issues. Many post's on people unable to connect Wi-Fi with the Jebao pumps.
As far as support from China for the Maxspect's, I sent them an email last week for some information and they got back with me in less than a day so was happy with that.

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wifi connection has been pretty good with the cloud edition controller. I have my tank in a basement which had very weak connectivity and I was still able to connect and control my pump remotely. Never had any disconnections. I did added another wifi point in the basement eventually because some of the other cloud based controllers on my tank didnt fair so well with the weak wifi signal.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a pair of Maxspect XF280's for a while and will say that they are able to move water. With the native controller the motor block can go as low as .5 seconds which when used with pulse mode can generate a pretty tall standing wave. The two default wave patters are nice one of which is better when using the proper blade to push water properly. Other than that my only complaint with that series is the font size on the controller. It is a bit cumbersome to use but then again I'm an older reefer. They came with a spare set of blades and cages which was nice. Made maintenance a lot easier as I could just take one off line, swap out parts, put back in tank, and be back operational within 5 to 10 minutes. I did have one that had exposed wires at the motor block after about 2 years of use so took that one off line. Left me with one. Next chapter.

Wanting to keep the current XF280 I noted above but not wanting to pay a premium for the new models I opted instead to get an Hydros Wave Engine LE with an Icecap 4k. I was able to connect the XF280 to the Hydros along with the 4k Icecap and be back in business. Long story short yes, it works. App is easy to use. Flow patterns by default are fine. Only draw back is that the Hydros unit limits the XF280 motor block to 2 seconds. I worked, tried I should say, with Hydros on this but in the end their answer was how do I know that the Maxspect controller was really going as low, or fast, as .5 seconds. Go figure - I can see it and the difference. Anyway not life threatening I used this for a bit and was happy. Honestly the XF280 is still pushing more water than the Icecap 4k.

Maxspect Cloud Edition - XF350. I have a pair to replace the Hydros setup above. I've not installed it yet but by unboxing I can see that they are larger than what I had previously. There are the direction flow units that are attached and they look promising. My guess is that they will move more water than the XF280's which already moved a lot. The controller looks nice, well built, larger font. I've just not had time to set it up because I was hoping to have an upgrade done by then but not yet. Long and short of it is that I like what I see but not used the cloud controller part yet.

Cliff notes. I was a tester for the Orbit 4. It looks a lot like the Icecap 4k. Motor block is also limited to 2 seconds. I have a pair and they work well. I added the MXM module for my Apex and the connectivity within a single web portal is very nice. Not many preset flow patters as the Maxspect but I'm able to get a decent flow in my display. They did a decent job with the integration between their phone app, MXM module, and fusion. They did not include spare blades so maintenance will be offline, remove, soak, online, etc. Not a fan but I can deal with it. I like it better than the Icecap Hydros wave engine kit.

To circle back. I can't answer about using the cloud edition. I have them. They appear to be well built. I like the new changes I see compared to my XF280. My experience with the XF280 was great. I did have the one issue I mentioned with the exposed wires. I maybe could have epoxied it(?) but decided to use it for a canned bird. It moved water and I loved the wave options it came with. Didn't like the font size. I should note that there is a thread here somewhere such that hobbyist are complaining about the lack of documentation. I don't know nor can comment on it. We all have different skill levels.

Not sure I helped with this wall of text but I've used a couple different Gyres now and in my opinion / experience the Maxspect kits are the best. The others work. If you have a controller and want to integrate look at those options. Wish I had it connected to give more info but I don't - sorry.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cloud controller was terrible for me. I have extremely fast and strong signal Wi-Fi but it constantly disconnected. Sold mine and went with a wave engine. Gyres also need more frequent cleaning than mp. I like my reef Octopulse better than my gyres.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a pair of Maxspect XF280's for a while and will say that they are able to move water. With the native controller the motor block can go as low as .5 seconds which when used with pulse mode can generate a pretty tall standing wave. The two default wave patters are nice one of which is better when using the proper blade to push water properly. Other than that my only complaint with that series is the font size on the controller. It is a bit cumbersome to use but then again I'm an older reefer. They came with a spare set of blades and cages which was nice. Made maintenance a lot easier as I could just take one off line, swap out parts, put back in tank, and be back operational within 5 to 10 minutes. I did have one that had exposed wires at the motor block after about 2 years of use so took that one off line. Left me with one. Next chapter.

Wanting to keep the current XF280 I noted above but not wanting to pay a premium for the new models I opted instead to get an Hydros Wave Engine LE with an Icecap 4k. I was able to connect the XF280 to the Hydros along with the 4k Icecap and be back in business. Long story short yes, it works. App is easy to use. Flow patterns by default are fine. Only draw back is that the Hydros unit limits the XF280 motor block to 2 seconds. I worked, tried I should say, with Hydros on this but in the end their answer was how do I know that the Maxspect controller was really going as low, or fast, as .5 seconds. Go figure - I can see it and the difference. Anyway not life threatening I used this for a bit and was happy. Honestly the XF280 is still pushing more water than the Icecap 4k.

Maxspect Cloud Edition - XF350. I have a pair to replace the Hydros setup above. I've not installed it yet but by unboxing I can see that they are larger than what I had previously. There are the direction flow units that are attached and they look promising. My guess is that they will move more water than the XF280's which already moved a lot. The controller looks nice, well built, larger font. I've just not had time to set it up because I was hoping to have an upgrade done by then but not yet. Long and short of it is that I like what I see but not used the cloud controller part yet.

Cliff notes. I was a tester for the Orbit 4. It looks a lot like the Icecap 4k. Motor block is also limited to 2 seconds. I have a pair and they work well. I added the MXM module for my Apex and the connectivity within a single web portal is very nice. Not many preset flow patters as the Maxspect but I'm able to get a decent flow in my display. They did a decent job with the integration between their phone app, MXM module, and fusion. They did not include spare blades so maintenance will be offline, remove, soak, online, etc. Not a fan but I can deal with it. I like it better than the Icecap Hydros wave engine kit.

To circle back. I can't answer about using the cloud edition. I have them. They appear to be well built. I like the new changes I see compared to my XF280. My experience with the XF280 was great. I did have the one issue I mentioned with the exposed wires. I maybe could have epoxied it(?) but decided to use it for a canned bird. It moved water and I loved the wave options it came with. Didn't like the font size. I should note that there is a thread here somewhere such that hobbyist are complaining about the lack of documentation. I don't know nor can comment on it. We all have different skill levels.

Not sure I helped with this wall of text but I've used a couple different Gyres now and in my opinion / experience the Maxspect kits are the best. The others work. If you have a controller and want to integrate look at those options. Wish I had it connected to give more info but I don't - sorry.
Very informative. Appreciate it. Documentation is not a big deal. Retired electrical engineer worked both in the nuclear industry and and as a field engineer for one of the largest OEM filling and packaging company's in the world out of Germany so I am used to determining what funky looking Icons mean.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cloud controller was terrible for me. I have extremely fast and strong signal Wi-Fi but it constantly disconnected. Sold mine and went with a wave engine. Gyres also need more frequent cleaning than mp. I like my reef Octopulse better than my gyres.
I clean my MP's every 2-3 weeks whether they need it or not so cleaning is not a big deal for me. With the cloud controller did you use Android or Apple device? If Apple I can understand why you had disconnect issues lol.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean my MP's every 2-3 weeks whether they need it or not so cleaning is not a big deal for me. With the cloud controller did you use Android or Apple device? If Apple I can understand why you had disconnect issues lol.
I used apple, I never lose connection with my apex, reefi or hydros. It would actually show in the controller lost wifi. I would have to unplug for 10 minutes every time to get the app to reconnect. Would happen 3-4x per week.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used apple, I never lose connection with my apex, reefi or hydros. It would actually show in the controller lost wifi. I would have to unplug for 10 minutes every time to get the app to reconnect. Would happen 3-4x per week.
Interesting. I use Android and never had connection issues with any devices in my home. My wife uses Apple (IOS) and she has had issues with some devices not connecting in the past but ever since I turned on location services on her iPhone and iPad she has not had connection issues at all. Not sure why location services made a difference but it did.

kfeld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I use Android and never had connection issues with any devices in my home. My wife uses Apple (IOS) and she has had issues with some devices not connecting in the past but ever since I turned on location services on her iPhone and iPad she has not had connection issues at all. Not sure why location services made a difference but it did.
I have the same issue with my XF 350 Cloud. It is not related to your device OS, the wireless just shows the controller not connected when you do the wireless test from the controller. I have to remove and re-add it back in the software after setting the controller to wireless setup mode and resend the info. Happened with 2 different router model/brands, about 4 times now in 8 months or so, I think it happens after a power outage. Also, sometimes I have to send a program 2 times to get it to update the flow.

FWIW, The pumps hold the program when disconnected, and do move a lot of water. They are slightly loud when running over 50%, but not too bad.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up purchasing the Maxspect Gyre xf350 Cloud Edition dual pack about a month ago. It took me 30sec to connect the Wi-Fi and I have not lost connection. Not one time. Not sure why some people have an issue with loosing the Wi-Fi connection. I have the newer Xfinity router along with 3 pods and one of the pods is 2ft from my control cabinet where the Maxspect controller is located. I am getting -36dbm on the controller which is a very strong signal. Only once in the last month I was not able to connect to the App but I still had the Wi-Fi connection on the Maxspect controller. All I had to do was turn my phone off then back on. I try to make it a point to turn my phone off every morning for 15min then turn it back on. Sometimes I forget. Just an FYI, most electronic experts recommend turning your phone off for a short period of time at least once every few days, but daily is the most recommended. I am not sure why so many people have an issue with the controller and App. I also found the App to be extremely simple to use. Then again I am very used to the way Europe and Asia does there programming.

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought a single 330 to pair with an MP40 and realized I liked the gyre and purchased a 350 pump a couple weeks later. I think performance is pretty typical of any other gyre. I have an issue once in a while when Netgear updated my Orbi mesh the controller loses connectivity, but I just have to 're-enable the connection and it's fine. Only happened twice in 3 months, took 10 seconds to fix. Maxspect believes it's something to do with the security options I used. I did upgrade to a newer Orbi system last month, and the update Tuesday didn't bother anything. So, for whatever that is worth to you there it is. But other than that little hiccup, zero issues with connection.

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, The pumps hold the program when disconnected, and do move a lot of water. They are slightly loud when running over 50%, but not too bad.
Mine keeps going to one speed all day even though it says user program mode after feeding everyday. Am I missing anything?

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine keeps going to one speed all day even though it says user program mode after feeding everyday. Am I missing anything?
If you don't mind me asking, when you say after feeding are you using the app feed mode or just turning off the controller? How are you getting it back to running properly? I assume you have multiple setpoints in User Program Mode. Myself I have never used the app feed mode. I keep my Gyre's running. But I do find your issue interesting because 3wks ago while in User Program Mode I went into the app to delete and add a new setpoint and it would not let me delete a setpoint. When I first installed my Gyre's, while playing around in User Program Mode I was able to delete a setpoint if I remember correctly by swiping the setpoint. That no longer works. For the life of me I have tried everything I can think off to delete a setpoint with no success. Maxspect updated the app a little more than a month ago and I believe they did something that affects some of the User Program Mode functions. I contacted BRS about this issue and the rep put me on hold and went to a co-worker who uses the app and he could not get it to delete either. They have sent an email to Maxspect about the issue more than once in the past 2wks and they have not heard anything back yet. You may want to contact BRS about your issue so they can contact Maxspect for a fix.
By chance can you delete a setpoint and if so how did you do it?

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind me asking, when you say after feeding are you using the app feed mode or just turning off the controller? How are you getting it back to running properly? I assume you have multiple setpoints in User Program Mode. Myself I have never used the app feed mode. I keep my Gyre's running. But I do find your issue interesting because 3wks ago while in User Program Mode I went into the app to delete and add a new setpoint and it would not let me delete a setpoint. When I first installed my Gyre's, while playing around in User Program Mode I was able to delete a setpoint if I remember correctly by swiping the setpoint. That no longer works. For the life of me I have tried everything I can think off to delete a setpoint with no success. Maxspect updated the app a little more than a month ago and I believe they did something that affects some of the User Program Mode functions. I contacted BRS about this issue and the rep put me on hold and went to a co-worker who uses the app and he could not get it to delete either. They have sent an email to Maxspect about the issue more than once in the past 2wks and they have not heard anything back yet. You may want to contact BRS about your issue so they can contact Maxspect for a fix.
By chance can you delete a setpoint and if so how did you do it?
I missed the important information. No I am not using the app feed mode. I have the gyres connected to Apex and the Apex feed mode will turn off return and Gyres. After it comes back online, it goes to a program with just 1 setpoint, 1 speed all day until I load my program again. I was told it will hold the program during a power cycle.

I just checked and I was able to delete a setpoint. [Although I did get a warning yesterday to update the app.] But I have noticed that, if you only have one setpoint, you will not be able to delete. You can delete the next setpoint after the first one. Also sometimes you will not be able to delete the setpoint if it starts at 00.00[12.00midnight].

I am trying to emulate the OGC cycle from old controller and slowly getting there. They do have a OGC in the app but it is not at all similar to the old one.

Here is a screenshot just to confirm if we are trying the same thing

Screenshot_20240401_211853_Syna-G Cloud.jpg

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed the important information. No I am not using the app feed mode. I have the gyres connected to Apex and the Apex feed mode will turn off return and Gyres. After it comes back online, it goes to a program with just 1 setpoint, 1 speed all day until I load my program again. I was told it will hold the program during a power cycle.

I just checked and I was able to delete a setpoint. [Although I did get a warning yesterday to update the app.] But I have noticed that, if you only have one setpoint, you will not be able to delete. You can delete the next setpoint after the first one. Also sometimes you will not be able to delete the setpoint if it starts at 00.00[12.00midnight].

I am trying to emulate the OGC cycle from old controller and slowly getting there. They do have a OGC in the app but it is not at all similar to the old one.

Here is a screenshot just to confirm if we are trying the same thing

Screenshot_20240401_211853_Syna-G Cloud.jpg
Thanks for getting back with me. You just fixed my delete issue. Yes now I remember there was a delete icon. It looks like after the last update that the User Program Mode screen is a little bigger which hid the delete icon. I swiped the page to the left and the delete icon appears.
I have shut the power off on the Gyre many times and have never lost the program in User Program Mode. Not sure what your issue may be.
Below are screen shots of the User Program Mode before and after swiping the screen to the left.
This is just a test screen I used for trying to figure out how to delete.
Screenshot_20240401_211714_Syna-G Cloud.jpg Screenshot_20240401_211727_Syna-G Cloud.jpg

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for getting back with me. You just fixed my delete issue. Yes now I remember there was a delete icon. It looks like after the last update that the User Program Mode screen is a little bigger which hid the delete icon. I swiped the page to the left and the delete icon appears.
I have shut the power off on the Gyre many times and have never lost the program in User Program Mode. Not sure what your issue may be.
Below are screen shots of the User Program Mode before and after swiping the screen to the left.
This is just a test screen I used for trying to figure out how to delete.
Screenshot_20240401_211714_Syna-G Cloud.jpg Screenshot_20240401_211727_Syna-G Cloud.jpg
Ah I did not realize that the icon was there in the old app. Yes you have to swipe left to get the delete icon.

Hope my issue is not a hardware issue.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I did not realize that the icon was there in the old app. Yes you have to swipe left to get the delete icon.

Hope my issue is not a hardware issue.
I just tried to simulate your loss of program issue by unplugging the power adapter from the Maxspect controller and plugging it back in and the same program I was in reloaded with no issues. If you unplug the power from the controller vice going into feed mode on the Apex do you still lose the program and it loads a single speed program? Also do you have a single speed program saved in the load program file?

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried to simulate your loss of program issue by unplugging the power adapter from the Maxspect controller and plugging it back in and the same program I was in reloaded with no issues. If you unplug the power from the controller vice going into feed mode on the Apex do you still lose the program and it loads a single speed program? Also do you have a single speed program saved in the load program file?
Thank you for simulating that. Yes it goes to a single speed and I do not have that as a saved program. Where is the load program file location? What I do is, I click on the bottom left icon that looks like a folder and load my saved program and then click apply. It says transmitted successfully. Do we need to so anything else?

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for simulating that. Yes it goes to a single speed and I do not have that as a saved program. Where is the load program file location? What I do is, I click on the bottom left icon that looks like a folder and load my saved program and then click apply. It says transmitted successfully. Do we need to so anything else?
I believe we are talking about the same load program function. I am wondering if the issue is that there is something wrong with the RAM in the controller. It looks like when power is removed from the controller that it is loading the default factory program which is constant speed 50% if I remember correctly.
Below are the steps I use when loading a saved program:
If already doing these step then I would call whoever you purchased the controller from and see if under warranty because these steps should work. At least they do on mine.

Select save/share profile: (Save)
Screenshot_20240402_102930_Syna-G Cloud.jpg

Input Profile name and description: ( I make them the same ) Select Save
Screenshot_20240402_103908_Syna-G Cloud.jpg

After the first 2 steps select the program to be loaded: You will get the message Operation successful. ( Not Done Yet):
Screenshot_20240402_104300_Syna-G Cloud.jpg

Now hit apply: Transmission successful:
Screenshot_20240402_104313_Syna-G Cloud.jpg

Last edited:

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe we are talking about the same load program function. I am wondering if the issue is that there is something wrong with the RAM in the controller. It looks like when power is removed from the controller that it is loading the default factory program which is constant speed 50% if I remember correctly.
Below are the steps I use when loading a saved program:
If already doing these step then I would call whoever you purchased the controller from and see if under warranty because these steps should work. At least they do on mine.

Select save/share profile: (Save)
Screenshot_20240402_102930_Syna-G Cloud.jpg

Input Profile name and description: ( I make them the same ) Select Save
Screenshot_20240402_103908_Syna-G Cloud.jpg

After the first 2 steps select the program to be loaded: You will get the message Operation successful. ( Not Done Yet):
Screenshot_20240402_104300_Syna-G Cloud.jpg

Now hit apply: Transmission successful:
Screenshot_20240402_104313_Syna-G Cloud.jpg
Yes, This is the steps I do too but resets to a default single speed after a power cycle, which mine is 30% I believe. It could be a hardware issue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back