Maxspect VS Vortech

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Nick C, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Nick C

Nick C Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Hello Ladies and Gents,

So i'm going to be in the market for a new way to circulate my tank. Currently i'm just using some pretty old hydor that seem like they are going to fall apart.

What are you thoughts on Gyre VS MP?

There are pro's and con's of both looking at it as someone who hasn't used it, and most of the things i find are youtube are pretty.... subpar quality.

What are your thoughts on them? Have you used one? or both? Sound isn't really an issue for me, look and functionality are probably the best. (I'm considering using one of the hydor's i have that isn't too old on the back of the tank just to add something a little extra?)

FYI i have a 110 Gallon Tall Reef Ready Tank. 48x24x30 (I'm pretty sure I can't remember off the top of my head how deep front to back it is.

Tags:

2. declanisadog

declanisadog Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I have gyres in my 120, and love them. I have used vortechs in the past, and loved them also. For me, I like the gyres because I can plug two pumps into one controller without having to buy extra stuff. I also like the sheet of flow created by the gyres, and the control is top notch. my only issue is they seem to need more frequent cleaning. All that being said, I will probably add an MP40 to my back wall for some added random flow down the road. I honestly think you'll be happy either way.

Nick C likes this.
  3. Nick C

Nick C Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Haha while that is helpful with information not helpful in helping me make up my mind haha. Do you think a Gyre would have any issues with a deeper tank? I think another thing the gyre has going for it is it's ability to be so close to the top of the water. But i feel like you have more flexibility with a few mp40's From what i've see on BRS the MP40's are a little more expensive. I wish i there was a good way to visibly see the flow something creates.

Draft saved Draft deleted