May have caused damage.

sacutshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I pick up a new addition to my DT. From one of my LFS had 4 Royal Gramma's. I pick the one who was a more active swimmer.
Took him home popped him in my drip accumulation container and drip for an hr. He did what all fish do. Went straight to a corner in drip container.
When it was time to move to DT move in on him with net real slow. Did not have to chase with net. Sliding net up the wall and covered with hand. In the past learned the hard way when not covering net.
Moved him to tank shot across the surface like he was in acid water. He hid in the corner behind a protein skimmer for a while. I started panicking. I was able to poke him out and back into net.
Put him into a small breeder box with a small rock to observe him.

So I'm guessing when I remove him from acclimation to display tank. I must have pinched him with the net against the wall.
This was in the evening last night. He was horizontally challenged slightly upside down.
Woke up this morning he has bedded down next to the rock like a normal fish. Today he is still horizontally challenged. is taking food live Brine and some pellets.

So I'm hopeful he may recover. What do you all think???

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent gotten any livestock in a while but when I transfer I always dump their water into a bucket through a net so the fish lands in the net. That way you dont risk pinching it in the future. It's probably extremely stressed out between moving from the LFS, going into the drip acclimation and then back into the breeder. It looks like you have a rock in there so theres something that is there to help ease it. I'd worry with how it's acting though that something may be wrong.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he’s eating on the first day in your tank then that’s a great sign. I’d leave him alone and see how he does. Or if you are going to quarantine him, leave him there for a week or two. Moving fish around from tank to tank is stressful, want to minimize the number of times you do that to give him the best chance. Good luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When you transferred it, did you acclimate it to the display tank?
Next time, corner fish with a plastic cup to keep it submersed and slowly release
From container to tank and back to container may have stressed it further.
They run to corner upon introduction and then slowly come out to explore

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks fine to me, if you are basing your concern off the video that it's resting up against the container vertical.
had one forever ago that hung upside down under a ledge.
it's what they do.

OP
OP
sacutshall

sacutshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks fine to me, if you are basing your concern off the video that it's resting up against the container vertical.
had one forever ago that hung upside down under a ledge.
it's what they do.
I think you may be right. After watching him all morning I think he"s screwing w/my mind. How ever I'm going to keep him where he's at for another 24hrs. He is in the Quarantine breeder box 3"x3"x6" in DT.

OP
OP
sacutshall

sacutshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he’s eating on the first day in your tank then that’s a great sign. I’d leave him alone and see how he does. Or if you are going to quarantine him, leave him there for a week or two. Moving fish around from tank to tank is stressful, want to minimize the number of times you do that to give him the best chance. Good luck!
He is my first Royal Gramma. I think he was screwing with my head. When I put him in the DT he shot across the surface like an out of control boat. Freaked me out.
After doing a little more research I believe he's fine. I will keep him in my DT in the small breeder box 3"x3"x6" till tonite then let him out.
Thank you

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW my RG has the craziest swim patterns. Upside down, sideways, jerking. Strange at first but now I love my RG.

OP
OP
sacutshall

sacutshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW my RG has the craziest swim patterns. Upside down, sideways, jerking. Strange at first but now I love my RG.
Yeah he was a total mind blow. never had a royal gramma b4. Did not act to expectation of other fish. He made me think I did harm to him. That little SOB.
He's out swim around now or at least for now. :D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back