Maybe Dino Sunday Funday

SaltLife77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah.....when you need to strain your reef tank water to manually remove possible dinos and need to somehow hold the sock in the bucket while siphoning water....and the only thing that works is your old-school metal clips you use to keep your hair rollers in place.

20240107_153126.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah.....when you need to strain your reef tank water to manually remove possible dinos and need to somehow hold the sock in the bucket while siphoning water....and the only thing that works is your old-school metal clips you use to keep your hair rollers in place.

20240107_153126.jpg
Are you fighting dinos by filtering?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it true you have mid size tank, a 29 or 45 gallon

OP
OP
SaltLife77

SaltLife77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you fighting dinos by filtering?
Well, they are showing as dinos yet. But two years ago I had osteoporosis dinos, almost lost my tank, but thanks to the info on this forum, and a lot of perseverance, the tank survived! I just noticed some trouble spots in the sand, and then my nitrates started reading zero, and something was just not quite right. So, I started straining out the spots in the sand, added carbon to fight any toxins preemptively, took my biopellet reactor offline to raise the nitrates and I think that will head it off. There are always dinos in a tank, just don't want them to take over!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, it's because there's a special way to battle dinos in that size tank that you couldn't do in a larger tank/rip cleaning

to take apart the reef + wash it out the right way, like we do during tank transfer jobs, and reassemble it via skip cycle ordering with zero invasion in place is a very powerful way of fighting dinos.

what most people do is opposite, and you can see from the 800 page dinos thread in the nuisance algae forum there isn't a very high cure rate at all using the normal methods.

rip cleaning is for nano reefs, its a forceful cleaning method that kicks out invasions vs coaxes them out. large tankers can't do it/too much work. nano tankers can do it in about 5 hours. we have many hundreds of examples of them on the site used to fix various tank ills

OP
OP
SaltLife77

SaltLife77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, it's because there's a special way to battle dinos in that size tank that you couldn't do in a larger tank/rip cleaning

to take apart the reef + wash it out the right way, like we do during tank transfer jobs, and reassemble it via skip cycle ordering with zero invasion in place is a very powerful way of fighting dinos.

what most people do is opposite, and you can see from the 800 page dinos thread in the nuisance algae forum there isn't a very high cure rate at all using the normal methods.

rip cleaning is for nano reefs, its a forceful cleaning method that kicks out invasions vs coaxes them out. large tankers can't do it/too much work. nano tankers can do it in about 5 hours. we have many hundreds of examples of them on the site used to fix various tank ills
Gotcha. I won't be doing that with my tank, but I appreciate the advice!

I don't have a true outbreak, I am doing some preventative work. I have had and beat back a severe osteoporosis dino outbreak a couple years ago, so I am hyper vigilant when I think conditions favor a bloom. Such was the case straining the water.

I am definitely not anticipating a cure for dinos as they are part of the ecosystem, but I do want to make sure they don't cause a problem.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We like to see people try and control them using the common ways

Whether that works in pattern or not help discern best course of action for sure. Allowance of the invasion / passivity is the chief cause of lost tanks.

OP
OP
SaltLife77

SaltLife77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! I used a list of suggested mitigation steps from the "Are you tired of battling altogether" thread. Best to stop it before it's a problem, I lost quite a bit from my original battle two years ago.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back