McCosker’s Wrasse Hiding

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My McCosker’s is currently hiding in a little cave area within my rockwork, which is odd since he’s usually out and about in the tank. This morning before I left for work he was acting normally but now I’m not too sure what’s going on. He’ll flash at my Royal Gramma occasionally and will get chased by the Flame Angel for a little bit but I haven’t seen any outright acts of aggression.

I’m currently treating the tank with Prazi, and am on day 6 of the first dose. Prior to this everyone has been feeding normally. I will say his color is a little pale in places but that might just be from stress.

Water params are all normal,
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: ~5 ppm
Phosphates: ~0.5ppm
Salinity: 1.025

Any recommendations?

C8B5E772-CEE6-4D53-872D-B9C5A652DABD.png 512177AF-2664-4D5E-BC16-F9BF6EBD5954.png D0B84AE7-3F49-488B-BFC5-8E6C71BBFC09.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My McCosker’s is currently hiding in a little cave area within my rockwork, which is odd since he’s usually out and about in the tank. This morning before I left for work he was acting normally but now I’m not too sure what’s going on. He’ll flash at my Royal Gramma occasionally and will get chased by the Flame Angel for a little bit but I haven’t seen any outright acts of aggression.

I’m currently treating the tank with Prazi, and am on day 6 of the first dose. Prior to this everyone has been feeding normally. I will say his color is a little pale in places but that might just be from stress.

Water params are all normal,
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: ~5 ppm
Phosphates: ~0.5ppm
Salinity: 1.025

Any recommendations?

C8B5E772-CEE6-4D53-872D-B9C5A652DABD.png 512177AF-2664-4D5E-BC16-F9BF6EBD5954.png D0B84AE7-3F49-488B-BFC5-8E6C71BBFC09.jpeg
Sounds like an intimidation issue.
Is fish coming out for food?
Is it breathing normal or labored?
Any noticeable injuries?

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an intimidation issue.
Is fish coming out for food?
Is it breathing normal or labored?
Any noticeable injuries?

Didn’t come out for food when I fed the tank, but it ate a couple of pieces that floated close by. Breathing is a little labored, but I don’t see any injuries at least on the side that I can see. I was worried at the pale areas at first thinking that it may have been nipped on the body but it looks pale in a uniform pattern. The fins are also untouched.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Didn’t come out for food when I fed the tank, but it ate a couple of pieces that floated close by. Breathing is a little labored, but I don’t see any injuries at least on the side that I can see. I was worried at the pale areas at first thinking that it may have been nipped on the body but it looks pale in a uniform pattern. The fins are also untouched.
Grabbing food that has passed by may very well be intimidation from another occupant.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grabbing food that has passed by may very well be intimidation from another occupant.

Is it something that might pass? They’ve been in there for about a month so I thought the pecking order had been figured out by now. If/once I find out who might be the aggressor, what can I do to solve the problem? Mirrors?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is it something that might pass? They’ve been in there for about a month so I thought the pecking order had been figured out by now. If/once I find out who might be the aggressor, what can I do to solve the problem? Mirrors?
Mirrors rarely last long term, but rather isolation or you may have to remove the aggressor. One way to find the culprit is to take your phone and set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mirrors rarely last long term, but rather isolation or you may have to remove the aggressor. One way to find the culprit is to take your phone and set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be

Once I find them, would you recommend a few days in the acclimation box?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note:
We get reports of wrasse being sensitive to prazi, but I’ve never seen that myself. Prazi takes oxygen from the water as it decomposes, Prazipro is the worst in that regard. Decent aeration takes care of that though, and the issue usually shows up in a day or two after dosing.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note:
We get reports of wrasse being sensitive to prazi, but I’ve never seen that myself. Prazi takes oxygen from the water as it decomposes, Prazipro is the worst in that regard. Decent aeration takes care of that though, and the issue usually shows up in a day or two after dosing.
It happened on day 6 of treatment though so well past when I would have expected to show any signs. I also made sure to increase my surface agitation and pointed my output towards the top.

I do have a suspicion that it's my Flame Angel though. Hopefully it's temporary, as it was the case for the angel and my Royal Gramma when they were first introduced. Now they pretty much ignore each other.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was definitely the Flame Angel, but it looks like the hiding was just for that day. Yesterday he was a little more active, swimming from one arch in the rock to another and this morning he was out in the open water a little more. He still avoids the Flame Angel, but I'll keep an eye on it in the coming days

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back