got a whole new tank and some coral need help

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi i bought a used myos opus 69 gallon and the guy gave me his entire setup.

Should I add the sand first or water?

Will the fish and coral be ok for a few hours in a bag that’s sitting in temperature of live rock water bin?

How soon do i need to get lighting over this coral to save it? There are acans, carpet anemone, a beautiful torch and a few other things like snails and cleanup crew.

I told him that i only need the tank and stand and sump but he gave me his entire livestock!!

I don’t want to kill these things. I am going over to home depot and getting a 50 gallon mixing bucket for making saltwater and heating it.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to get new sand while you are at the store, or else you will need to spend time rinsing that sand, and thats a tough job. It will be full of fish poop and rotten food, you shouldn't bring that over to your tank, it might cause an ammonia spike.

Once you get sand in, add the rocks. Keep them wet in the meantime in a bucket with a heater and powerhead.

Once the rocks are in, it will be safe to add the livestock.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to get new sand while you are at the store, or else you will need to spend time rinsing that sand, and thats a tough job. It will be full of fish poop and rotten food, you shouldn't bring that over to your tank, it might cause an ammonia spike.

Once you get sand in, add the rocks. Keep them wet in the meantime in a bucket with a heater and powerhead.

I agree wholeheartedly! The only thing I would do differently is put rock in first. That way it’s a bit more stable.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You got like 6 hours. Go!!
How is everything transported? Using bubblers or circulation pumps? Not necessary, but determines how much time you have to put everything together and get running.. do you have all the water and more new water, ready to go?

OP
OP
C

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this sand just came out of his tank and is well seeded. Literally this morning. So, would i put it in before the mixed and warmed water?

Yes, it may spike the ammonia but i have to take that chance as i can’t leave the house anymore today.

Thanks so much!

OP
OP
C

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got like 6 hours. Go!!
How is everything transported? Using bubblers or circulation pumps? Not necessary, but determines how much time you have to put everything together and get running.. do you have all the water and more new water, ready to go?
a large jar with an air hole at the top. i have 30g ready

OP
OP
C

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your experience with a Reef Tank ? Break downs and moves are very difficult to pull off if experience isn't on your side.
Good luck, this forum is full of really helpful members.
reasonable experience but not with moving delicate fish and coral to a much bigger tank. The sand is live so i’m not washing it

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back