Mccosker Wrasse Issue!

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, have had a Mccosker in QT for a few weeks now. Has been through 1 prazipro tx and has been eating well since almost day one in QT. I have noticed him spending time at the surface quite a bit. Added more circulation and airstone, however didnt really seam to make a difference. Tonight when i went down to feed I realized things had gotten much worse and he didnt have any interest in eating. He has an open mouth, with almost a fungal looking rot going on. Also the underside of his jaw looks slightly red. Here is a video:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing the "fungal/rot" you spoke of, but the gasping at the surface like that is bad. Have you checked ammonia? Is prazi the only thing you have run so far? No copper or anything else?

OP
OP
A

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't checked for ammonia. I have an ammonia checker on the tank. Its been up and running for since November so has been fully cycled for a while. I just moved 2 fish over to the DT before adding the mckosker. I will check the ammonia quick and report back if that is the issue.

OP
OP
A

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No copper. Its a 20 gallon long with HOB filter. His mouth is gaping almost like he cant close it. The tissue is almost a light brown and seems to be sloughing off slightly. He has had normal stools (i was happy to see because my last 2 had white stringy) but just noticed has almost translucent stringy stool hanging off him. Ammonia test just finished, negative.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I would suggest running him through a freshwater dip or possibly an acriflavin dip.... brook could be an issue here.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I'm stumped, Mel has you taken care of though, she's obviously an OG around here!

OP
OP
A

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I would suggest running him through a freshwater dip or possibly an acriflavin dip.... brook could be an issue here.
Just did a FW dip. No immediate relief noticed,back in the tank. Here's another video. I feel like he has something going on with his mouth?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes if a fish has gill damage they'll do that at the surface trying to get oxygen. Can you add an airstone or a powerhead that breaks the surface and see if this behavior lessens?

Regarding the open mouth I don't know if this will help but if the fish is getting more oxygen his chances of healing improve dramatically.

OP
OP
A

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes if a fish has gill damage they'll do that at the surface trying to get oxygen. Can you add an airstone or a powerhead that breaks the surface and see if this behavior lessens?

Regarding the open mouth I don't know if this will help but if the fish is getting more oxygen his chances of healing improve dramatically.
I added an airstone. I had a powerhead pointed at the surface that I turned off because he seemed to week to fight the current.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added an airstone. I had a powerhead pointed at the surface that I turned off because he seemed to week to fight the current.
Good call, actually. Let us know if that helps the fish at all. With gill damage it's often too late but it can't hurt to try! Hopefully I'm wrong!

More oxygen > less oxygen! :)

OP
OP
A

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call, actually. Let us know if that helps the fish at all. With gill damage it's often too late but it can't hurt to try! Hopefully I'm wrong! More oxygen > less oxygen! :)
I dont know why he would have gill damage. The tank has been fully cycled for a while, recent water changes, did a prazi a few days ago when I noticed the weird surface swimming. Otherwise, he has been the model qt fish for the last few weeks, eating everything I throw in the tank. There was a time when I would have tossed him into the dt he was doing so well, know better now ;)

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know why he would have gill damage. The tank has been fully cycled for a while, recent water changes, did a prazi a few days ago when I noticed the weird surface swimming. Otherwise, he has been the model qt fish for the last few weeks, eating everything I throw in the tank. There was a time when I would have tossed him into the dt he was doing so well, know better now ;)
It may be velvet, it may be flukes, it could be damage from before you purvhased the fish :shrug: I am not entirely sure.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible it damaged itself by swimming fast into the glass or the top trying to jump and broke its jaw? It is a wrasse.

OP
OP
A

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible it damaged itself by swimming fast into the glass or the top trying to jump and broke its jaw? It is a wrasse.

It's possible. In hindsight this behavior has been getting progressively worse and he has been hanging out at the surface for 3-4 days. Was eating fine so I wasn't to worried about it. He's still alive today but exhibiting the same behavior.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible. In hindsight this behavior has been getting progressively worse and he has been hanging out at the surface for 3-4 days. Was eating fine so I wasn't to worried about it. He's still alive today but exhibiting the same behavior.

I'm sorry. I'm out of ideas really. The only thing I can think of to do is to administer a methyline blue bath and let him rest. I don't think that antibiotics or copper will help him here.

OP
OP
A

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He didn't make it :(. Post mortem gill area seemed red and he did seem to have some light brown, fungal looking infection around his mouth. Don't know what I could have done differently here.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He didn't make it :(. Post mortem gill area seemed red and he did seem to have some light brown, fungal looking infection around his mouth. Don't know what I could have done differently here.

Could have been a fast killing infection. If it was internal, there's almost nothing you could have done. I'm sorry. :(

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 52 54.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.2%
Back