McCosker's Wrasse and Flame Angel Issues?

ksigaekdb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a flame angel to my tank a week and a half ago and now my McCosker's wrasse spends all his time hiding in his cave poking his head out, only darting out to eat then hiding again. I have spent a lot of time watching them and I have not seen any serious bullying going on, the flame is very active and swims near the wrasse sometimes but i have not witnessed any charging behavior. Has anyone else had a problem with these two fish, or have any advice on how to solve the issue? The wrasse is my favorite fish so if I have to the Angel will be removed but i would prefer to keep them both. I have a 40g tank with 2 Ocelleris clowns, a Royal Gramma, the wrasse and the flame angel and a 20g sump. No issues with parameters, and none of the other fish seem to have issues with the angel. Thanks.

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those angels do get aggressive, and quickly make themselves the head of the tank if they can

im assuming the clowns kindve stick to a general area of the tank as does the gramma but the angel and the wrasse naturally are more roamers so a quick hierarchy may have been made early on by the angel claiming the land for himself.
clowns and grammas can generally handle themselves but mccoskers are very timid.
you may have to take the angel back unfortunatley

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is weird dwarf angels have problems with certain fish, they will terrorize them.. Dwarf angels like mentioned will become king of the tank especially a flame angel, the only time I have seen that they dont is if they are in with clarkii's or tangs...
They also have other fish they just dont bother.

OP
OP
K

ksigaekdb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so the angel needs to go. I guess I will try to old mirror in a trap method tonight and see what happens. Totally bummed because he is gorgeous and has not bothered my coral at all, and he was in a tank with a different kind of flasher when I got him. Any suggestions on flashy replacement fish? Would another kind of flasher or fairy wrasse get along? I have read that having different kinds of wrasses can be an issue but fairy's and flashers get along frequently.

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a mccoskers with a yellow coris wrasse with no problems at all!
hes also very active and always on the hunt for pods
but for the mccoskers he will be good with just about any fairy or regular wrasse, they are awesome fish!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love my mccoskers wrasse he is so freindly.
Only thing with Wrasses make sure the tank is screened on top or they will fly out.

OP
OP
K

ksigaekdb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had read about that so I made a hinged acrylic top liberally drilled with holes to allow for air exchange. I guess I will try another small wrasse as I enjoy how active they can be and my gramma and clowns tend to stick in one area.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back