FLAME ANGEL WITH ICH

LuisCalibre1

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 25, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a flame angel fish delivered and it seems to have ICH. What should I do it’s breathing hard on its side. Should I euthanize it?

It’s easier to see the small dots on its tail.



IMG_5769.jpeg

IMG_5766.jpeg

IMG_5767.jpeg

IMG_5768.jpeg
 
I wouldn’t euthanize it I would see if you can save it first. It’s hard to tell from the pictures but if it is ich, it’s not a severe case. If you have a UV I would run that full blast for a week and see if anything improves. If you don’t have a UV I would get an ich medication and see if it makes it through the night.
 
I wouldn’t euthanize it I would see if you can save it first. It’s hard to tell from the pictures but if it is ich, it’s not a severe case. If you have a UV I would run that full blast for a week and see if anything improves. If you don’t have a UV I would get an ich medication and see if it makes it through the night.
It’s captive bred so the online retailer I bought it from said it’s likely flukes. They advised me to give it to a local fish store so I did.
 
It’s captive bred so the online retailer I bought it from said it’s likely flukes. They advised me to give it to a local fish store so I did.
So you don't have the fish anymore?
 
It’s captive bred so the online retailer I bought it from said it’s likely flukes. They advised me to give it to a local fish store so I did.
Wow, That's customer service and a crap one at that!. I expect you will no longer give them your custom.
 
Gotcha!

Will the vendor be sending a replacement? When I saw the fish on its side I was a little concerned about possible acclimation stress, in addition to whatever parasite it may have had. If it's helpful, here's a great article on acclimation methods:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/acclimation-methods.903/
That would be great though I doubt it. Here in the uk only a sealed vendors fish bag qualifies for a refund/replacement re any issues, though seeing spots on a fish through a plastic bag is hit/miss
 
That would be great though I doubt it. Here in the uk only a sealed vendors fish bag qualifies for a refund/replacement re any issues, though seeing spots on a fish through a plastic bag is hit/miss
Yes, that's a tough position for sure, and I see both sides, though I personally would think the vendor would want to replace the fish here. It's not like those spots only started once the bag was opened.
 
1: Its a real *******..for one i have a flame sumped that i want to move on.
2: Maybe a fresh (RO) dip with an alkaline around 8 for 5mins @25c may have saved the flame
 
1: Its a real *******..for one i have a flame sumped that i want to move on.
2: Maybe a fresh (RO) dip with an alkaline around 8 for 5mins @25c may have saved the flame
I would recommend prazipro in this situation. I feel like every-time I’ve done a freshwater dip it’s done more harm to the fish than good. I’m also not sure a freshwater dip would kill the eggs as the active ingredient in fluke medication does not kill the eggs.
 
I would recommend prazipro in this situation. I feel like every-time I’ve done a freshwater dip it’s done more harm to the fish than good. I’m also not sure a freshwater dip would kill the eggs as the active ingredient in fluke medication does not kill the eggs.
Freshwater dips are best as a diagnostic tool and to provide immediate, but temporary relief to the fish from any flukes. They won't kill eggs, and even a single egg can restart an entire infection. There is only one fluke in the aquarium hobby that can be seen with the naked eye, and that's Neobenedenia. Others you would need a microscope to view and identify after a dip.

I was leaning more toward Ich here, given the spots on the fins, but clearer pics would be best for a positive ID, at least for my eyes.
 
Freshwater dips are best as a diagnostic tool and to provide immediate, but temporary relief to the fish from any flukes. They won't kill eggs, and even a single egg can restart an entire infection. There is only one fluke in the aquarium hobby that can be seen with the naked eye, and that's Neobenedenia. Others you would need a microscope to view and identify after a dip.

I was leaning more toward Ich here, given the spots on the fins, but clearer pics would be best for a positive ID, at least for my eyes.
Really? I actually didn’t know that super interesting! Is the visible fluke a skin or gill fluke?
 
I would recommend prazipro in this situation. I feel like every-time I’ve done a freshwater dip it’s done more harm to the fish than good. I’m also not sure a freshwater dip would kill the eggs as the active ingredient in fluke medication does not kill the eggs.

Yep, any worm tablet for cat/dog, crushed dissolved in ro water...works great in a fowlr or quarantine. But will only treat what it is for and definitly not dosed in a reef aquarium
Those are skin and eye flukes.

Here's an article from Jay Hemdal that has more info:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/neobenedenia-the-eye-fluke.1229/

Flukes usually drop off during a fresh water dip
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new