- Joined
- Apr 25, 2026
- Messages
- 7
- Reaction score
- 1
- Location
- United States
- What state or country do you live in
- New Jersey
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
It’s captive bred so the online retailer I bought it from said it’s likely flukes. They advised me to give it to a local fish store so I did.I wouldn’t euthanize it I would see if you can save it first. It’s hard to tell from the pictures but if it is ich, it’s not a severe case. If you have a UV I would run that full blast for a week and see if anything improves. If you don’t have a UV I would get an ich medication and see if it makes it through the night.
So you don't have the fish anymore?It’s captive bred so the online retailer I bought it from said it’s likely flukes. They advised me to give it to a local fish store so I did.
Ye I gave it to a lfsSo you don't have the fish anymore?
Wow, That's customer service and a crap one at that!. I expect you will no longer give them your custom.It’s captive bred so the online retailer I bought it from said it’s likely flukes. They advised me to give it to a local fish store so I did.
Gotcha!Ye I gave it to a lfs
That would be great though I doubt it. Here in the uk only a sealed vendors fish bag qualifies for a refund/replacement re any issues, though seeing spots on a fish through a plastic bag is hit/missGotcha!
Will the vendor be sending a replacement? When I saw the fish on its side I was a little concerned about possible acclimation stress, in addition to whatever parasite it may have had. If it's helpful, here's a great article on acclimation methods:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/acclimation-methods.903/
Yes, that's a tough position for sure, and I see both sides, though I personally would think the vendor would want to replace the fish here. It's not like those spots only started once the bag was opened.That would be great though I doubt it. Here in the uk only a sealed vendors fish bag qualifies for a refund/replacement re any issues, though seeing spots on a fish through a plastic bag is hit/miss
I would recommend prazipro in this situation. I feel like every-time I’ve done a freshwater dip it’s done more harm to the fish than good. I’m also not sure a freshwater dip would kill the eggs as the active ingredient in fluke medication does not kill the eggs.1: Its a real *******..for one i have a flame sumped that i want to move on.
2: Maybe a fresh (RO) dip with an alkaline around 8 for 5mins @25c may have saved the flame
Freshwater dips are best as a diagnostic tool and to provide immediate, but temporary relief to the fish from any flukes. They won't kill eggs, and even a single egg can restart an entire infection. There is only one fluke in the aquarium hobby that can be seen with the naked eye, and that's Neobenedenia. Others you would need a microscope to view and identify after a dip.I would recommend prazipro in this situation. I feel like every-time I’ve done a freshwater dip it’s done more harm to the fish than good. I’m also not sure a freshwater dip would kill the eggs as the active ingredient in fluke medication does not kill the eggs.
Really? I actually didn’t know that super interesting! Is the visible fluke a skin or gill fluke?Freshwater dips are best as a diagnostic tool and to provide immediate, but temporary relief to the fish from any flukes. They won't kill eggs, and even a single egg can restart an entire infection. There is only one fluke in the aquarium hobby that can be seen with the naked eye, and that's Neobenedenia. Others you would need a microscope to view and identify after a dip.
I was leaning more toward Ich here, given the spots on the fins, but clearer pics would be best for a positive ID, at least for my eyes.
Those are skin and eye flukes.Really? I actually didn’t know that super interesting! Is the visible fluke a skin or gill fluke?
Thank you!Those are skin and eye flukes.
Here's an article from Jay Hemdal that has more info:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/neobenedenia-the-eye-fluke.1229/