Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I would ultimately like:
snails and hermit crabs that stay small
snails and hermit crabs that clean rocks, algae, sand, detritus and glass
this is only a 10 gallon nano tank and I don't want it over run by anything! lol
I plan on only having ONE occ clownfish but want that to be the main attraction :)
So..... no, not really dead set on anything at all at this point.
All I have been doing with the tank for the last three days straight is feeding the BB with pure ammonia. I've done NO tests at all except salinity which according to my hydrometer is hanging between 1.024 and 1.025. I am topping with fresh or salt as necessary to keep it at this level :) My temp is steady at 78F but might turn the heater down a teeny bit to drop it to 76-77F. My last readings were indicative of the cycle being near the point where I could potentially and safely add maybe half a CuC or my one fish.
Perhaps just ONE skunk shrimp for the entire CuC then? lol

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the package: ??
OMMON NAMETANK SIZECONTENTSPRICE
Package #15 - 10 Gallons5 - Blue Legged Hermits
1 - Red Scarlet Hermit
3 - Astrea Snails
2 - Margarita Snails
$17.40

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the package: ??
OMMON NAMETANK SIZECONTENTSPRICE
Package #15 - 10 Gallons5 - Blue Legged Hermits
1 - Red Scarlet Hermit
3 - Astrea Snails
2 - Margarita Snails
$17.40

Here's my suggestion. :)
3 bluelegged hermits
8-10 cerith or dwarf cerith snail
1 Peppermint Shrimp
2 Nassarius Snail
4-5 dwarf planaxis snail (you can't always find these.)
1-2 trochus snail (similar to astraeas but can flip themselves back over if they end up upside down.)

You can always add more if you end up needing it. :)

Last edited:

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooooooooooo, so the occ clown really IS a complete terror!! I have watched numerous videos from Mr. Saltwater Tank lately and he really doesn't seem to like "damselfish" at ALL!
My revised CuC list for the 10 gallon:
4 hermit crabs
2 pep/skunk shrimp
2 astrea snails
3 marg snails
2 narc snails
I have, however, gone and gotten my heart set on an occ clownfish even if they are terrible! I am not ever planning on having more than one of them in the 10 gallon, they are hardy fish AND sounds like they have a bit of attitude. Right up my alley. I don't plan on having corals in THIS little tank, and have already started plans for a 90 gallon SW w/50 gallon sump... just a matter of time :)
I DO plan to have corals in that setup with more fish; less attitude!! THIS is my personal test at saltwater, figure from what I have read... if I can run a successful nano, the larger one will be a piece of cake

If you don't plan on having an anemone the clown will be an angle. If you do get him an anemone than he'll become a little devil a prob try to bite you never mind other fishy, it don't hurt but does make you jump when they bite you :)
By far one of the cutest fish in the sea! That's really why I got my first tank!

Last edited:

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1384085258.796567.jpg
didn't know when to stop :)

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awwwwwwwwwwww! That is fabulous!! :)
I would be the same way and get more than one if my tank was bigger. I am having my water tested by a professional today to see if they get the same readings as I do. THEN I have to decide what to do...
Everyone wish me luck :)

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing this out there......

Your sandbed looks a little deep to me. You don't want it in the 3"-4" range. 2" is ideal. More than 4" and you have a deep sandbed which is a whole different situation. Unless the photos are deceiving, it does look like you have a little more than 2".

Also, in a fowlr tank you don't need a lot of circulation. 500gph is way too much for your tank. Is your ph adjustable?

And last, I think it was already mentioned that a cuc is only needed once you have algae. If you don't have any algae they will starve and die. Since you don't have a skimmer be careful that you don't overstock.

Good luck. Seems as if you're on the right track.

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to:

my sandbed is only about 2 inches deep when it is level, but it is not level and I like it hilly persay :)
I do not have the maxijet on the 500gph mode, it is on the 110gph mode :)
Why does my pH have to be adjusted? That is the test that my LFS said is perfect :)
However, I still have too high ammonia and that is probably from feeding the BB last night. I added 0.5 ml of ammonia
My salinity was way way off what I thought it was at 1.033 which was way too high! I just did a 40% water change with fresh RO/DI.
I also washed my hydrometer in very hot (not boiling) water with a bit of vinegar and have it soaking in fresh water for the next 24 hrs.
So, I bought another 3 lbs of live rock, rearranged the rock work and I get to sit and wait some more :)
My tank has no algae, and I bought no clean up crew and no fish (saltwater) today.
I do appreciate any and all input on this little tank!! Keep it all flowing and thank you all so much for following this thread. :smile:
Side note; did buy some fish today for my FW tanks! YaY!!

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
today....

November 10, 2013 @ 6:00pm
After rearranging the rock work
Iphone 2013-11-10 010.jpg

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't mention exactly what your pH was but it's probably fine if you're using a good salt mix and no additives that might affect it.

...I fear you may have just ruined your hydrometer. You're only supposed to rinse in clean fresh water after use. You should also be careful that there are no bubbles on the swing arm when you take your reading; even a tiny one will affect the result. Do yourself a favor and get a decent refractometer instead.

Your cleanup crew will need to be fed. Between that and rock die-off you won't need to dose ammonia anymore. Nori for the herbivores, and pellets or frozens for the meat eaters.

Last edited:

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your hydrometer is not ruined, but I also recommend you get a refractometer and learn how to calibrate it. That is very important.

Have you had detectable nitrites yet? You could be safe to stop dosing ammonia, if you have.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe he was asking if your PH=Power Head is adjustable :)

What FW fish did you get! Had 7 tanks set up before I went SW.....I miss them greatly!

IMO for your FOWL a hydrometer is just fine. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes! I have had, most definitely and without a doubt, spikes of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in the last 3 weeks!!
I have stopped dosing with ammonia, will just leave the tank for the next few days and have my LFS check it again on Thursday evening after I get off work.
I will look into pricing a refractometer but not till after xmas :)

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooooooooooooo Nana :)

Great to see you! Sorry my lil tank wasn't quite ready for livestock yet but the lady at my LFS says I am doing all the right stuff and the patience I have shown is key to success :)
FW fish purchased:
3x pink danios, added to my tank that already had 3x emerald eye rasbora and 1x electric blue ram
I also went and loaded another tank that has been sitting cycled for over a week with:
3x red glowlight danios
2x neon tetras
1x gold german ram
I am also starting up a 55g african cichlid tank too. I have just gone and picked a bunch of rock personally right out of a dry stream bed that I am now in the process of washing. I have a whole rec room downstairs to fill up with all my various tanks and fishy hobby stuff :)

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooooooooooooo Nana :)

Great to see you! Sorry my lil tank wasn't quite ready for livestock yet but the lady at my LFS says I am doing all the right stuff and the patience I have shown is key to success :)
FW fish purchased:
3x pink danios, added to my tank that already had 3x emerald eye rasbora and 1x electric blue ram
I also went and loaded another tank that has been sitting cycled for over a week with:
3x red glowlight danios
2x neon tetras
1x gold german ram
I am also starting up a 55g african cichlid tank too. I have just gone and picked a bunch of rock personally right out of a dry stream bed that I am now in the process of washing. I have a whole rec room downstairs to fill up with all my various tanks and fishy hobby stuff :)

I started out with planted freshwater. :)

In general, you want at least five individuals for schools - just so you know. n.n

I currently have an established 125 FW that's waiting at my mom's for me to go get it.

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehehe, I will definitely check out the threadfin rainbows!!
As for having 5 fish per individual school you could be right, but they seem to be doing alright in 3s. There were only the 2 neons left at the pet store so that's all I got of those :) The FW fish I have now are the only ones I will have until I get my cichlid tank (if I can get the pH up high enough) running. I will be washing more rock tonight for it.
I am really hoping that my little salt water tank will be closer to being ready for livestock by Thursday. I am not feeding it ammonia anymore, just letting the new live rock and whatever do what it's going to. Hoping I get some cool "critters" along on this new piece that will hurry it up a bit for me! :)

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, sometimes they do fine in smaller schools. I have a pair of rummynose tetras (the sole survivors of about three attempts - they do NOT have good survival rates in the first two weeks you have them) that even spawned for me recently. ♡ Too bad the eggs got eated...

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back