Me winning the 20K dream reef

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SKYHIGGh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of rules for giveaways for both the companies and winners. A tax form will be required for the winner from each company with a prize over 600 dollars. Over 5000 dollars requires more legal documentation.

*****You’ll need to post the rules for your giveaway, either on your website, in a blog post, or both, and reference those rules as needed. If you’ve met the criteria for a sweepstakes, you’ll need to include the following:
  1. Identify the prize: provide as much detail as necessary to both identify it and make it attractive to your readers
  2. Who can enter: detail who is allowed to enter, as well as those excluded (most sweepstakes allow only U.S. residents to participate, as Canadian laws and laws in other countries have different definitions of types of giveaways)
  3. Duration: clearly set out when the giveaway (sweepstakes) will begin and end, and follow through
  4. How to enter: let the reader know what entry methods are available for your sweepstakes
  5. How the winner is chosen: describe how you will choose your winner, especially since you are likely choosing randomly
  6. Technical issues: since we all know there could be technical problems, let people know how they will be handled. For example, will you delete duplicate entries? If your site goes down, what will you do?
In addition, anything the administrator or sponsor intends to do with the information provided must always be disclosed in the rules. If there is an intent to use the information for marketing or research purposes, that should be disclosed so an entrant clearly understand what, if any, rights they may be waiving.

What are you the reef police. Jesus... I waive my right and would like to win lol . I’ll give uncle sam his Frag from thank tank no worries [emoji6]

SKYHIGGh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if win and don’t want something pay it forward and give it away. People think to much enjoy the winnings we’re worried about taxes and if someone is gonna sell it....

Don’t live your life like this people enjoy the moment of thinking you might win as opposed to all the negatives if you did

Actuarious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of it this way you get 20K worth of stuff for 2,400-7,400. That sounds like a good deal to me.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t even bother with the giveaway because it is to much and I didn’t want to be that guy.
Yeah I just see everything go up for sale. Local raffles, club raffles from some clubs, BRS giveaways, r2r giveaways.

I'm guilty of it myself cuz everyone else did it. One day it just made me feel bad out of the blue. And more and more it's begun to irk me. Someone out there would love it, and use it. I wish that would be who won the items.

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, there is some high dollar gear in there I wouldn't use. No shame in parting some of it out to fund the things I would want to change.

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of people enter these things believing they have no chance of winning. Some people do it because they ally with one of the sponsors or maybe they get some freebies for entering. The practicality or accepting the prize when you win never really factors into the equation for most.

ReefInskeep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish that people who don’t need the stuff BRS gives away wouldn’t enter. lol It’s offensive & sad, but I get it, I guess.

I’m broke, and would relish the opportunity to have this kind of setup. Oh, the beautiful tank I’d make... And I’d be able to post photos of my girlfriend’s angry face as I throw away furniture to make room. :)

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of it this way you get 20K worth of stuff for 2,400-7,400. That sounds like a good deal to me.

Most people would until the tax bill comes due. And what if triggers a tax underpayment penalty? I'm not saying don't enter, but taxes are what cause people to have to sell their large dollar prizes. Something like this is easier because you can sell off parts of the prize to pay the taxes.

Prolude006

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you the reef police. Jesus... I waive my right and would like to win lol . I’ll give uncle sam his Frag from thank tank no worries [emoji6]
I more or less posted standard rules to show what BRS and sponsors have to deal with and also why it's normally US only. Taxes are a legitimate concern for many. This is something I would love to win but still have to account for what it will actually cost me. Selling pieces may be necessary to afford it. This will cost me roughly 11k dollars should I be lucky enough to win it. No small sum. If you live with your parents be careful because it affects their household income for things like property tax rebates. Good luck to all. Thanks BRS and sponsors.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you're right. I've been very pessimistic lately, I'm not sure why honestly.

I have been meaning to ask you if it was your time of the month for about the last 2-3 weeks now :p

Also this is me every give away:

Me... because I never win...
Screenshot_20181019-164239_Google.jpeg

Last edited:

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry, we all know whoever wins is gonna put it all up for sale on R2R, that's what happens to everything people win. Remember the person who put up that obscenely large Kessil 1200 with absolutely zero shame?

@BRS, you might as well just mail people a check. People don't want the gear, it's been proven enough times for raffles and giveaways to become extinct.

Sincerely,
Rakie "no faith" :/

I can TRULY say that I would keep it all... Trying to setup a new tank here and would love to finally DO IT RIGHT...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back