Reefbrite fixture with 20k radium?

Madison Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need a strong demand to do the investment. I'm not sure how we would be able to define such demand, but that is what they told me. It's serious business to invest in fixtures.
Just out of curiosity as I am currently studying and dissembling old ballasts, what are some real world challenges to make new ballasts? I do not quite understand why there needs a strong demand to make ballasts (except for economical reason of course). Is there any raw material that is hard to source?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity as I am currently studying and dissembling old ballasts, what are some real world challenges to make new ballasts? I do not quite understand why there needs a strong demand to make ballasts (except for economical reason of course). Is there any raw material that is hard to source?
Yup, pure economical reasons, I would think. They need to know they will sell their products, right? The strong demand was the only reason they invested on their new bulbs.
Last year they said there was a problem "finding raw materials" to continue to make Hamilton magnetic ballasts and fixtures, per Hamilton. As far as I know, the new company is willing to make fixtures and ballasts, but they say there is not enough demand for that move at the moment. No substantial evidence of that demand. Unless people ask them, they won't make fixtures and ballasts. This is what's going on. If they make at least 3 size fixtures, magnetic ballasts, and invest in some advertisement, things will start to fly again! I think if they don't make fixtures and ballasts this new generation won't have enough boost to try! It just doesn't make sense to make bulbs and not make fixtures and ballasts IMHO. They are probably afraid of investing a lot of money without any basis to do so.

Madison Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, pure economical reasons, I would think. They need to know they will sell their products, right? The strong demand was the only reason they invested on their new bulbs.
Last year they said there was a problem "finding raw materials" to continue to make Hamilton magnetic ballasts and fixtures, per Hamilton. As far as I know, the new company is willing to make fixtures and ballasts, but they say there is not enough demand for that move at the moment. No substantial evidence of that demand. Unless people ask them, they won't make fixtures and ballasts. This is what's going on. If they make at least 3 size fixtures, magnetic ballasts, and invest in some advertisement, things will start to fly again! I think if they don't make fixtures and ballasts this new generation won't have enough boost to try! It just doesn't make sense to make bulbs and not make fixtures and ballasts IMHO. They are probably afraid of investing a lot of money without any basis to do so.
Right, it's more about "finding raw materials" at right price. Also increase in shipping must play a role as well but...

I just feel like (yes, I am making an assumption) that companies are staying away from production of ballast only due to economical reasons and then give us an excuse saying "there isn't much of demand", "they can't find raw materials", etc.

Well we, as hobbyists, would not be interested in making bulbs, but it seems like it's relatively very doable to either source raw materials from the scratch or more easily pick up old ballasts and fix them up. I'd be interested in that said company for either European ballast (Yes I'd need 220/240 voltage output) for Radium or M80 at least.

But if they come up with good-old generic m58, 59, 153, magnetic, electronic or whatnot, then there isn't much reason for us to support the company which has already monopolized radium distribution across USA. Even I find reef brite ballasts (ability to sense which bulbs is which and change accordingly) not so much of advantage. Perhaps there is not so much of demand for the company because there is not so much of reasons to buy "aqaurium" ballast. Not only that, it would be better for the Earth if we pick up old ballasts that would otherwise end up in dumpsters.

No doubt I am happy that we have the bulb again, but I'm afraid that once they monopolize the market they will become new money grabbing evil that will inevitability increase the initial cost of MH setup. It will push away new hobbyists from MH option.

Do you want to support monopoly?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing but apprecition for them! I'm thankful for the fact that they listened to the many emails sent and for the people that wrote those precious emails.
They are actually the only hope we might have to continue strong, besides ReefBrite, and I think they have lot's of courage to start this new company and believe in their potential and in us, the users. The owners BELIEVE in the quality of their products, warranty, and customer service! They were probably the ONLY reason why Radium decided to produce again! I don't think Radium decided to get back to their lamps because of my emails at all!!! They are the best customer service I know. It will be hard to believe they are actually trying to be a "monopoly", so passive they are IMO. If that happens organically, good for them! They deserve because there is no other company investing so much right now. They were most likely the only company talking to Radium about our demand. They believe in halides for this hobby and know what they are doing, for decades. You don't understand how close we actually were from having to forget about Radiums forever. I don't think it's even fair to think anything bad about them. I wish the best to them and I hope they grow a lot!
I hope halides will get back to the norm and sold like before.
I hope new companies to emerge and to produce lot's of different renewed gear, so we can actually see halides with new technologies like CMH, dimming features, quality lamps, sleek fixtures and amazing ballasts!!! That would be amazing!
Monopoly is what tried to take halides from this hobby!

Madison Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing but apprecition for them! I'm thankful for the fact that they listened to the many emails sent and for the people that wrote those precious emails.
They are actually the only hope we might have to continue strong, besides ReefBrite, and I think they have lot's of courage to start this new company and believe in their potential and in us, the users. The owners BELIEVE in the quality of their products, warranty, and customer service! They were probably the ONLY reason why Radium decided to produce again! I don't think Radium decided to get back to their lamps because of my emails at all!!! They are the best customer service I know. It will be hard to believe they are actually trying to be a "monopoly", so passive they are IMO. If that happens organically, good for them! They deserve because there is no other company investing so much right now. They were most likely the only company talking to Radium about our demand. They believe in halides for this hobby and know what they are doing, for decades. You don't understand how close we actually were from having to forget about Radiums forever. I don't think it's even fair to think anything bad about them. I wish the best to them and I hope they grow a lot!
I hope halides will get back to the norm and sold like before.
I hope new companies to emerge and to produce lot's of different renewed gear, so we can actually see halides with new technologies like CMH, dimming features, quality lamps, sleek fixtures and amazing ballasts!!! That would be amazing!
Monopoly is what tried to take halides from this hobby!
Either you intentionally ignored my points because you are somehow related to that company, or you might need serious some help, seriously. I'm not mocking you.

I also contacted Radium to inquire about large scale import.
Aqua Bright Solution is not the only one that tried to source Radium.
ABS cleared all remaining stocks from Radium AND ABS monopolized the market for distribution of Radium bulbs (ABS DID make a contract with Radium so that no other competitition can occur). Hell, they even raised the price by $20 even after the Radium company decided to recontinue production.

I do not think you will listen to me no matter what I say.
By any chance do you work in retail? Anything business related? Is this coming from mind of business man?

Sincerely

Madison Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to bring this conversation to this thread, OP.
I am trying my best to speak with A. grandis. I will stop.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of old stock lol..
IMG_2983.jpeg
IMG_2984.jpeg

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked them about ballasts and fixtures. They need a strong demand to do the investment. I'm not sure how we would be able to define such demand, but that is what they told me. It's serious business to invest in fixtures. I personally think metal halides will only take off in business when it's availability starts to establish, so people can try. They need to advertise it too! New users want to try, but they are reduced to either the Giesemann Spectra or ReefBrite gear for now. The main reason Aqua Bright Solutions came to exist was due to the significant number of emails to Hamilton they received last year, asking for lamps. Same deal could happen, if people would send Aqua Bright Solutions enough explanatory emails asking for different availability of halide fixtures and ballasts. So, the more people contacting them about that, the better chances we have.
how many years are you guys getting out of your electronic ballasts?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back