Med assistance

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my ornate wrasse that I have for over four years showing signs of some sort of desease. His mouth is open and seems he have something either stuck or some parasite in his gills. He tries to eat but he can't swollow. The weirdest thing I've ever seen. This started out of no were. Any thoughts?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my ornate wrasse that I have for over four years showing signs of some sort of desease. His mouth is open and seems he have something either stuck or some parasite in his gills. He tries to eat but he can't swollow. The weirdest thing I've ever seen. This started out of no were. Any thoughts?
Does his mouth close at all? Are both gill covers open the same or is one more pronounced? Is his swimming and behavior otherwise normal?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess with out a pic it could be a bristle worm, happened once to one of my wrasses.
You can let it go and it would maybe heal its self.
How's his breathing?

OP
OP
TUSI

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does his mouth close at all? Are both gill covers open the same or is one more pronounced? Is his swimming and behavior otherwise normal?
Thank you for chiming in, his gills are open the same, he closes his mouth only when he try to shake his head, he swims fine but always hanging under corals like out of the light.

OP
OP
TUSI

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My guess with out a pic it could be a bristle worm, happened once to one of my wrasses.
How's his breathing?
He is breathing a little faster and his gills look like they are open more than normal.

OP
OP
TUSI

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a pic but it don't show much
image.jpeg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new additions to the tank recently? Anything wet (even corals/inverts)? Its possible he tangled with a bristleworm, got any of those in your tank? Can you see any cauliflower-like growth inside his mouth or gills? Lympho can grow internally.

OP
OP
TUSI

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have not added anything at all for a while, very hard to see if their is anything in his mouth, he keeps shacking his head like something is stuck, his gills are opening more pronounce on breathing. I thought something possibly with food might have got stuck.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Head twitching is a symptom of gill flukes, and to a lesser degree external parasites. However, I'm not convinced either are in play here. He might simply have something (like a bristleworm) stuck inside his mouth.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
To be honest, i deffinitly agree with big d, my six line and my bottom dwellers always get themself into trouble with bristle worms. Theyre mouth will stay open and look sortof sore for a few days + theyre sketched out when they feed.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought was flukes as well hearing the head shaking and mouth being open... but since I've never seen the after-effects of a fish eating a bristle worm or having food stuck in it's throat, then I'm going to defer to these guys.

OP
OP
TUSI

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My first thought was flukes as well hearing the head shaking and mouth being open... but since I've never seen the after-effects of a fish eating a bristle worm or having food stuck in it's throat, then I'm going to defer to these guys.

How's his breathing?

Head twitching is a symptom of gill flukes, and to a lesser degree external parasites. However, I'm not convinced either are in play here. He might simply have something (like a bristleworm) stuck inside his mouth.

To be honest, i deffinitly agree with big d, my six line and my bottom dwellers always get themself into trouble with bristle worms. Theyre mouth will stay open and look sortof sore for a few days + theyre sketched out when they feed.

Breathing doesn't seem labored or fast, but he certainly seems out of sorts. I would agree with something being caught in it's throat.

Thank you all for helping out, let's see what tomorrow brings hope he pulls through. One question though can a fish get flukes being in a tank for four yrs and have not introduced anything for a month or so. Or can he get a parasite from food possibly?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for helping out, let's see what tomorrow brings hope he pulls through. One question though can a fish get flukes being in a tank for four yrs and have not introduced anything for a month or so. Or can he get a parasite from food possibly?

He could have had flukes for a month without being overly obvious. Having a healthy immune system keeps them going for a while and being that he still eats like a champ he can last much longer. Normally you would notice something before now, but really flukes can stay in the gills out of sight just like ick can. A freshwater dip would confirm/rule out flukes easily enough of course and then we could move on to other possibilities or treatments.

OP
OP
TUSI

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He could have had flukes for a month without being overly obvious. Having a healthy immune system keeps them going for a while and being that he still eats like a champ he can last much longer. Normally you would notice something before now, but really flukes can stay in the gills out of sight just like ick can. A freshwater dip would confirm/rule out flukes easily enough of course and then we could move on to other possibilities or treatments.
i wish I can catch him but in my tank it's impossible

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wish I can catch him but in my tank it's impossible

Yup. That's always the hardest part. But if your able to, then you can try that instead of dosing the tank on a guess - educated guess or not.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back