Media Reactor pellets for NO3 & PO4 reduction

ReefersDelite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have stopped using NOPOX because my corals were showing signs of stress and i was getting a slime film on my equipment from it. I have a Carbon/GFO Reactor that i am currently using and wanted to see if there were some good bio-pellets that I could put in the reactor to reduce both NO3 and PO4. I dont want to use more GFO and its not reducing my NO3.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will likely encounter the same issues with bio-pellets that you did with NOPOX. The stress from your corals could have been from driving nutrients too low with NOPOX, and bio-pellets can do the same thing since they work the exact same way.

What are your current nutrient levels?

sa6hir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do sulking coral ever recover? I am using both NoPoX and bio pellets because the pellets are taking too long to kick in. My nitrates went from 60 to 10 in 5 days but my corals are sulking and so am I now [emoji22]

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do sulking coral ever recover? I am using both NoPoX and bio pellets because the pellets are taking too long to kick in. My nitrates went from 60 to 10 in 5 days but my corals are sulking and so am I now [emoji22]

Corals can recover (depends on the individual). You should stop dosing NOPOX and take the bio-pellets offline for now though. 60 ppm nitrates to 10 ppm in just 5 days is a big change, especially since your tank might have been at 60 ppm for a while. Once the corals look a bit more normal, if you need to, begin dosing very small doses of NOPOX and monitor your nitrates. The time between dosing and nitrate reduction can be delayed with organic carbon sources, so any changes you make (adding biopellet, increasing NOPOX dose) should be done over weeks, not days.

sa6hir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just followed the instructions, the water becomes so clear and noticeable so I did a test and was totally amazed. I did reduce the dosage from 30ml to 10ml but after a few day nitrates started to creep up, I have now reduced the dosage to 20ml but haven’t tested nitrates yet. Will do in abit

OP
OP
ReefersDelite

ReefersDelite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my parameters last test and my main concern is the NO3. The PO is fine. Looking into vinegar dosing. I was using 1ml every 2 days of NOPOX
29d64983e038f18d0745fdba2eaa08f6.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back