Media Reactor Question

FloridaGal762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 5 months old. I have added some various components as I go trying to get my water more stable.

It's an all-in-one, so the back compartments have different sizes which limits where some pieces fit.

I have a media reactor and I have biopellets going inside it, but as I see my phosphates are a little high and new green film algae growing, I am wondering if I should swap it for GFO or activated carbon. (I also just reduced the time the lights are on to counter act this, but it means I can't enjoy the lights on the tank both before and after work.)

Current set-up has two overflows in the following order:
Side 1- Overflow into filter sock- then to a protein skimmer- then to the return chamber where I have a Chemi-Pure Blue sitting on the bottom.

Side 2- Overflow into media basket with bio-rings (am thinking of adding filter pad to the top)- then to media reactor (currently biopellets)- then to the same return chamber with Chemi-Pure Blue sitting on the bottom.

What do you suggest for the media inside the reactor? Keep biopellets (even though I have bio-rings in the media basket) or change to GFO or change to carbon (even though I have the Chemi-Pure Blue)? Also, I know the Chemi-Pure comes last, but I am not sure if I should hang it for more water flow or sitting on the bottom is ok.

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, if the tank is properly cycled and use quality salt, proper amount of rock, good stocking habit, then it wouldn't need lots of tweak : GFO, biopellets, carbon, etc.

Maybe you could post your full tank shot, and also your sump, then we can give a better suggestion.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally run carbon in all my tanks 24X7 so if anything, I would throw the carbon in there. Like already stated, nothing else is really needed at this time without testing to see where nutrient levels are at.

OP
OP
FloridaGal762

FloridaGal762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Salinity, temp, nitrites are fine.

Phosphates were a little high so I did a water change.

I just see algae and I know I probably over feed (as newbies do) and I adjusted the lights to be on less.

Still learning the new hobby. :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back