Media reactor

prfishgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a double BRS media reactor and it’s old and takes up a lot of room under the tank stand.. can any one recommend a good quality reactor that’s just fits right in the sump area.. I’m hearing a lot of info about the nyos torque not staying closed and dumping media all on the sump.. thanks for any recommendations

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had good luck with these
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/turbo-media-reactor-side-flow-xl-lifegard.html
There’s several different sizes, I just copied the link of the biggest one as it’s what I have. Easy to use and clean, been using it for just over a year with zero issues and it’s still near dead silent.

+1 I have the large version and LOVE IT!

Cheaper on AMAZON

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=TURBO+MEDIA+REACTOR+SIDE+FLOW+XL+-+LIFEGARD&ref=nb_sb_noss

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need the pump included? I'm a fan of the AquaMaxx reactors:

https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...edia_Reactor_Standard-UJ5311-FIFRISPR-vi.html
AquaMaxx-Fluidized-GFO-and-Carbon-Filter-Media-Reactor-Standard-99.jpg

https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...n_Filter_Media_Reactor-UJ45107-FIFRIT-vi.html

This second one is great of you want something tall/thin to save space.

AquaMaxx-FR-SE-GFO-Carbon-and-Biopellet-Hang-On-Filter-Media-Reactor-99.jpg

OP
OP
prfishgirl

prfishgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
prfishgirl

prfishgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
prfishgirl

prfishgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at those the other day.. didn’t know anyone who used one.. it sounds like u really enjoy it also like that it includes a pump
Absolutely love mine and god forbid the pump does go out BRS sells the replacements cheap, depending on which size you go with anywhere from $25 to $70 for a complete replacement.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spyglass Reactor Kit — $ 119.99 have tons of reactors, I have the Torq but have not bought the pump yet. But I am thinking about getting the Avast Spyglass, the reason I hate to rinse, this make it easy. I will use my torq for filter floss, I hate when you fill a reactor and only the bottom gets clogged, you have to throw away your media to get to it, so I like the Torq from either the top or bottom entry.

OP
OP
prfishgirl

prfishgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely love mine and god forbid the pump does go out BRS sells the replacements cheap, depending on which size you go with anywhere from $25 to $70 for a complete replacement.
Replacement pump prices are nice

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came across this thread. I’m looking for an easy to maintain and change-out media reactor for carbon and gfo.

How easy are the GEO or Aquamaxx reactors to change-out media that were suggested above? Any others that are easy?

I need something that I can operate externally from a manifold.

I have two jumbo BRS reactors and changing out the media is my most dreaded maintenance task... even worse than cleaning the skimmer...

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came across this thread. I’m looking for an easy to maintain and change-out media reactor for carbon and gfo.

How easy are the GEO or Aquamaxx reactors to change-out media that were suggested above? Any others that are easy?

I need something that I can operate externally from a manifold.

I have two jumbo BRS reactors and changing out the media is my most dreaded maintenance task... even worse than cleaning the skimmer...
Easy to change out media Aquamaxx as they only have 4 plastic screws, build quality Geo. The Geo has twice the screws so it will take twice the time to pull apart to change the media, with that said the Geo having twice the screws means to me the lid is less likely to warp and leak.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy to change out media Aquamaxx as they only have 4 plastic screws, build quality Geo. The Geo has twice the screws so it will take twice the time to pull apart to change the media, with that said the Geo having twice the screws means to me the lid is less likely to warp and leak.

Thanks. To change out do you basically have to take the reactor to the sink and turn over to dump all the media? How much of a chore is it?

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. To change out do you basically have to take the reactor to the sink and turn over to dump all the media? How much of a chore is it?
Well I have 18 acres of woods behind me so I just fling it out in the woods lol it’s easy in my opinion. If your running carbon just remember to pick your sponges up lol. I left them out there once and went into panic mode looking for them before I remembered I never picked them up lol. Once I fling the old media out I just gently rinse it out in the sink, if it’s really dirty I have a baby bottle rush that I use strictly for cleaning reactors with and a second one strictly for cleaning the skimmer cup. I recommend which ever one you decide to go with getting a second set of sponges this way you always have a clean set to use. The lower sponge filters out any algae and is a pistol to clean so I soak it in a bit of vinegar and rodi water then the next morning I give them a good rinse and they are good to go.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 168 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back