Banshee or Geo's Reef Reactors?

Drummerguydw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, after tossing in media bags into my sump with somewhat ok results, I feel like its time to upgrade to an actual media reactor. I want quality over cheap within reason. Also, the nerd in me wants something that is aesthetically pleasing even though it will be inside of the stand/sump.

Anyone have experience with these media reactors? Pros? Cons? All have similar price points.
Geos Reef
Banshee
Bulk Reef Supply

vadryn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Bashsea Biopellet reactor on my system. It's well made and looks nice enough to display. I'm not a huge fan of all the thumb screws, but if it's standing alone you are probably wanting something like this rather than the BRS wall mount ones. (I have those too).

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the New icecap reactors, built like a tank, now available at Premium aquatics . I bought two and far superior to Bashsea and comes with pump.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the Lifegaurd. They have several sizes. I use one when needed. Nice unit for the price.
Geo equipment is quality and looks good.
I have an 818 carx.
Only bashsea product I have ran is the ato sump. Quality also.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use whatever I can find at local reef garage sales and off the marketplaces. They all tend to break in time and I overlook having to make new sponges and get new O rings as just normal wear and tear items. I do tend to like ones that hang on the tanks better than others.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not pleasing to the eye but I like a lot about them, the 2 little fishes reactors. I had quite a few Bashsea products in my previous reef life. They are built like tanks, look good, skimmers rock they are so nice, reactors work great. Comparing the two is night and day. Some notes Bashsea are all external if it leaks for whatever reason its on the floor, Ive never had a leak that wasnt my fault, large good for pretty much however much media you need/want, Heavy not as easily moved or serviced. 2LF hang on tank in sump, take up less space in stand or outside, very portable, if it leaks its into the sump no issue, small size may need more of them.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw- I ordered a banshee sump in a specific color. I was shipped the wrong color (from banshee) and then somewhat pressured to keep it. The sump functions fine but no banshee for me on principle. Btw- I see you have blue chosen! I did too- hope you like white. ;)

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw- I ordered a banshee sump in a specific color. I was shipped the wrong color (from banshee) and then somewhat pressured to keep it. The sump functions fine but no banshee for me on principle. Btw- I see you have blue chosen! I did too- hope you like white. ;)
Wow thats surprising. Maybe its because I live a little over an hour from Steves facility. I've always had great customer service. He always took care of issues quickly and no hassle. Haven't been in the salt game since 2010 so things could have changed. Did you order directly from them or one of the few retailers?

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thats surprising. Maybe its because I live a little over an hour from Steves facility. I've always had great customer service. He always took care of issues quickly and no hassle. Haven't been in the salt game since 2010 so things could have changed. Did you order directly from them or one of the few retailers?
Thru a retailer but spoke with him directly. He offered to make it right with a piece of equipment and was saying how nice everything looks together when it matches… didn’t help that while he was saying that I was looking at all my blue equipment. Shipping back ended up being too much of a hassle because I didn’t keep the pallet. Timing was of the essence so I settled for a free reservoir… so I will say there was compensation but I would have much rather gotten what I ordered.

One thing I failed to mention is before it shipped I was asked if I was interested in a white one which I turned down. Interesting coincidence that a white one was mistakenly shipped.

Last edited:

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thru a retailer but spoke with him directly. He offered to make it right with a piece of equipment and was saying how nice everything looks together when it matches… didn’t help that while he was saying that I was looking at all my blue equipment. Shipping back ended up being too much of a hassle because I didn’t keep the pallet. Timing was of the essence so I settled for a free reservoir… so I will say there was compensation but I would have much rather gotten what I ordered.

One thing I failed to mention is before it shipped I was asked if I was interested in a white one which I turned down. Interesting coincidence that a white one was mistakenly shipped.
So the retailer wanted to sell you a white one. You got a white one. Huh that is interesting. At least Steve compensated you some how. It would have cost a lot to ship that back and forth. I was surprised that they even had white when I was looking on line when I was getting back in, used to be only red or blue. I will be getting a skimmer from him again eventually.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the retailer wanted to sell you a white one. You got a white one. Huh that is interesting. At least Steve compensated you some how. It would have cost a lot to ship that back and forth. I was surprised that they even had white when I was looking on line when I was getting back in, used to be only red or blue. I will be getting a skimmer from him again eventually.
Steve contacted me and asked if I as interested in the white one. I said no; then the white one was mistakenly shipped. The retailer basically washed their hands of the transaction. Maybe my experience was a one off.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve contacted me and asked if I as interested in the white one. I said no; then the white one was mistakenly shipped. The retailer basically washed their hands of the transaction. Maybe my experience was a one off.
I was just interested if customer service was slipping, I see that a lot around here lately especially. How long ago did you buy it?

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2ish years ago.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back