Medicating Corals: What do you keep on hand and what actions do you take?

Do you keep "coral medications" on hand to help slow or stop the decline of a sick coral?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 115 42.6%
  • NO

Votes: 148 54.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters

Coral therapy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a hammer lose a head to BJD, the second head was fully retracted, and the neighboring hammering was shrinking. I dosed the whole tank with Cipro over five days. I lost the initial hammer, but the neighbor has been fully extended for the last two days, and the other hammers and torches all look good.
What dosage did you use?

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean.. for BJD and for Zoa's that have mysteriously remained closed for a week or so, works a treat
Furan 2... for zoa pox luckily never used it but just in case i keep a pack on standby

I use other things like Peroxide for algae control Lugol's as a general dip and Coral RX Pro but these are not what I class as coral medications

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SallySH2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Newbie to R2R. What do people use to save/ heal sick gonis and alveo’s. And what is your process. I have used iodine but it’s not always effective.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is the article with the process. I followed the dosing amounts, but instead over every other day. I dosed 5 days in a row.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Newbie to R2R. What do people use to save/ heal sick gonis and alveo’s. And what is your process. I have used iodine but it’s not always effective.
Welcome ! With the goni’s If it’s RTN or STN try cutting out the bad areas and using Prime Coral Stop Rtn , but without know what the problem is it’s hard to offer a solution . Can you post pictures? Or have a knowledgeable lfs nearby to help identify?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem reef dip (iodine based), ME coral dip, and koral recover

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seachem reef dip on hand, but I seldom use it. I’ve become much more crazy about using coral meds ever since I lost my torch to BJD.
Just tossed a Duncan that had 7 heads (got it with one) because of BJD. Was gutted.

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have Coral RX, Revive and Iodine on hand.
I use iodine for infection but what do you use RX and R
1. What are some "coral medications" that you keep on hand to help slow or stop the decline of a sick coral?

Frag Recover
Koral Recover
Koral MD
Lugol's
Bayer
CoralRX
Revive
Flatworm eXit
Expel-P
Melafix
Interceptor

2. What actions do you take besides medication?

Dip Protocol at time of arrival/purchase
QT for new arrivals
QT Sickbay for any sick corals (on demand setup)
Wow pharmacy for coral

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use iodine for infection but what do you use RX and R
Wow pharmacy for coral

RX for new corals, works well to rid them of pests (though far from perfect.) Iodine also can work, but I rarely use for that reason.

Revive and Iodine for repair/emergency/infection.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is that? It seems pretty stupid. Can't you just ask a vet for a scrip?
What vet? I'm in a rural farming area, and the local vet practices on large animals only. I suppose that I could see a vet in Edmonton, 500km away, and get an appointment. And a prescription for what, exactly? Cnidarian physiology isn't exactly a well-studied field of veterinary science, so I'd have to ask for a prophylactic course of medication for a theoretical range of diseases which may or may not be present. And scenarios like that, in which wide-spectrum antibiotics are administered as a preventative measure on non-humans, was the impetus behind Canada's ban of aquarium meds (and I'm not asking for a debate or comment on Canada's laws).

It seems like a lot work, and potential trouble for both reefer and vet, for some frags. QT and hydrogen peroxide seem like a better work-around for me. Most of the frags I buy are cultured, in any case. :)

nycfishncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the world of overnight shipping (for a price) if not in my LFS, why would I stock an inventory of meds at home?
I think they mean medications you have used and which ones you would keep on hand. I’m sure if you purchased u would not use the whole bottle at once and have it left at home

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfortunately received my A can meat coral n very poor health and have tried iodine dip, I keep it as its supposed to really help. I don't think its working but only been a few days. Any suggestions r appreciated.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a hammer lose a head to BJD, the second head was fully retracted, and the neighboring hammering was shrinking. I dosed the whole tank with Cipro over five days. I lost the initial hammer, but the neighbor has been fully extended for the last two days, and the other hammers and torches all look good.
That Aquabiomics article was great when I read it. It sounds like he is really on to something. It sounds like the best case treatment for euphyllia with rapid BJD, and it's nice to know it gets results.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back