Medicating For ich In QT

Fowler freak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might sound a little odd of a question for obvious reasons but here it goes. If you have ich present in your fish/main tank but the fish are healthy with an occasional scratch here and there while QTing
All new coming fish. Would you still dose with copper to start of with a “clean” fish regardless there’s ich present already in his future home?

OP
OP
Fowler freak

Fowler freak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. I always will QT for 3-4 weeks and wait to see if the fish has Velvet then will obviously treat with copper and a dip if it does. Will velvet stay dormant for that much time during QT because I thought it was 2 weeks give or a take a few days?

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet usually shows signs but fish like wrasses that have thick slime coats can mask velvet. Likewise ich can be in the gills and not visible. On the other hand a lot of the time if you start treating for velvet when you see symptoms it can be too late or a steep uphill battle.

In the end it depends on your approach to qt and risk management, I guess my thinking is that treatment is usually less risky than just observation but lots of folks have success in lots of ways

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tough one, but it will ultimately be up to you.

I would lean towards, in your case, observation for a few weeks.
What fish do you already have? What will you be adding? That would influence my decision a bit.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet usually shows signs but fish like wrasses that have thick slime coats can mask velvet. Likewise ich can be in the gills and not visible. On the other hand a lot of the time if you start treating for velvet when you see symptoms it can be too late or a steep uphill battle.

In the end it depends on your approach to qt and risk management, I guess my thinking is that treatment is usually less risky than just observation but lots of folks have success in lots of ways
I agree I'd always treat. Many fish can show zero symptoms of velvet due to their own resistance to it that most other fish will not have...

OP
OP
Fowler freak

Fowler freak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, thanks for the replies. Fish being added will mostly be angels and tangs. Butterflies wrasses angels/tangs gobies and clowns are already in the main tank so sensitive stuff for the most part.......the longer I’m in the hobby the less I want to prophylactically treat for disease except for the use of prazipro. The less stress on the fish the better the result and the use of cupermine is a stressor. I just thought after observing a fish for 3-4 weeks to ensure no velvet was present then there wouldn’t be the need to treat with copper.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, thanks for the replies. Fish being added will mostly be angels and tangs. Butterflies wrasses angels/tangs gobies and clowns are already in the main tank so sensitive stuff for the most part.......the longer I’m in the hobby the less I want to prophylactically treat for disease except for the use of prazipro. The less stress on the fish the better the result and the use of cupermine is a stressor. I just thought after observing a fish for 3-4 weeks to ensure no velvet was present then there wouldn’t be the need to treat with copper.
As someone that has quarantined hundreds of fish prophylactically in conjunction with @HotRocks over the years, I can tell you that no disease in the display tanks is fantastic.

My 500 gallon and 180 gallon have many fish. My newcomers I answer to second, my first concern is my existing fish. I have a lot of money and fish in those tanks and it’s my job to ensure their health as best I can.

This is just my view. My first decade in the hobby I didn’t quarantine much, I even advocated against it.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My own QT procedures to date have been less than stellar. However none of my fish show any real signs of illness. There are a few more I want, and I will absolutely QT them. Really, ICH is probably the least of my concerns. So many other more nasty things out there. QT for them, you'd likely treat ICH at the same time.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT for them, you'd likely treat ICH at the same time.

Treatment for velvet (much more pressing issue than ich) will cover ich as well, correct. :)

OP
OP
Fowler freak

Fowler freak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treatment for velvet (much more pressing issue than ich) will cover ich as well, correct. :)

Okay so if I don’t see any signs of velvet after 3-4 weeks while fish are in QT you would’ve advise I still treat with copper? I guess the real question is what’s the longest Velvet can stay dormant in a fish? In my case while in QT assuming the fish has ich and will be entering a main tank which where ich is already present too. Obviously trying to avoid copper if it’s really not necessary. Thanks again for your input you guys I really appreciate it [emoji1373]

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so if I don’t see any signs of velvet after 3-4 weeks while fish are in QT you would’ve advise I still treat with copper? I guess the real question is what’s the longest Velvet can stay dormant in a fish? In my case while in QT assuming the fish has ich and will be entering a main tank which where ich is already present too. Obviously trying to avoid copper if it’s really not necessary. Thanks again for your input you guys I really appreciate it [emoji1373]
Velvet can be dormant for 30 days or more when kept in subtherapeutic copper as everything is now. Some fish such as wrasse and some gobies can go months without symptoms at all because they have thick slime coats, sleep protected in mucous cocoons, and/or sleep under the sand.

They are great “Typhoid Marys” for this reason.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 160 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 14.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back