Medium/Large Reef Vs. Nano

Do you prefer to keep a medium/ large reef? (50+Gal) or a smaller reef? (< 20Gal)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tre719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept medium/large reef tanks for almost my entire experience as a reefer (~8 Years) I have just started a nano reef instead of my currently empty 70Gal. Which do you prefer, and why?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano is easier IMO because maintenance can just be regular water changes using just a 5 gallon bucket which means you don't really need to test and dose as much unless you are trying to grow all SPS really fast in it. Cheaper to maintain and easier to deal with problems when they come up. Emergency 80+% water changes are possible in this case and not so much livestock to move if and when you need to.

Each has pros and cons and I wouldn't say I prefer any. It depends on what my goals are and what I intend to do with it. If I were setting up a nano today I would do freshwater planted personally.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red Sea max nano is 1000x easier and cheaper to maintain than my reefer350. Less salt and easy water changes, less dosing volume. But, you get less options for livestock and water movement. I've got a large candy cane, hammer and rbta in my nano and it's full

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back